Hey Everybody!!! Forum Software Upgrade in the Works

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DanceMentor, Aug 22, 2012.

1. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

Oh wow...this is really a surprise to me. Must take the time to find out how things work. Good job guys! :D

2. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Em...it's like we don't have that bold thing anymore that lets you know whether or not you've read the updates in a thread...

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  3. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

I like the new format. Suggest you increase the size and / or contrast of the tabs along the top of the page - they're tough even with my bifocals. Also, the login / sign-up button ought to be more visible.

But hey, everybody's a critic, right? :rolleyes:

4. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Having just gone in and poked around a bit, a world to others: go in and look at your settings and preferences. There's a lot of options that I don't remember seeing before, and I didn't like the defaults on most of them. Worth taking a look at, especially since there are some privacy-related things that may need tweaking.

The color and font issues, as others have said, are definitely issues.

For me, the jury is still out on the new things. Then again, I'm curmudgeonly about these sorts of things and dislike change. I will say, however, that it's all worth it because now the Ignore function actually fully ignores people; it's like they've never posted at all, and that is fantastic.

5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Agreed. Would prefer single background color, or if it has to be different, make it a closer shade. Also, I'd prefer a sans-serif font.

6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Also, is there an edit button?

And a "mark all threads read" button?

7. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

To find your control panel and set your preferences hover over your username at the top right of the page.
    [​IMG]

To edit click the "edit" button just under your signature line. (I can see mine, but perhaps for non-mods it is still inactive and missing.)

[​IMG]

"Mark all threads read" is now "Mark Forums Read" and it is just under our logo at the top left.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

I totally dig the new forum - better look and feel and improved usability! I donated as well :) Nice job guys!

9. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

I like the "like" button :)

10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

thank you

11. fascination

I don't get anything from hovering over my name in the top right :(

12. Larinda McRaven

Nothing that looks like this??

Attached Files:

13. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

That may be something to do with your computer.

14. Larinda McRaven

I think everyone needs to try different browsers. I am currently using Chrome. But when I tried Firefox I experienced the wonky post text too, but only when I was trying to post a reply.

SO PLEASE when you post a bug or question also include what browser you are using when you experience it, and whether or not it still happens after you try a different browser.

15. Larinda McRaven

How to Find Unread Messages or Posts
    When you log in click the link for "What's New" after that go to the right and click the link for "All Recent Messages". From there all messages without a blue dot, yo have already read during your current visit. A blue dot indicates you have NOT read the message, and clicking the blue dot will take you to the newest replies in that thread.

Attached Files:

16. fascination

lol...I have no idea what browser I have...will have to put dh to work today :)

17. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

And I finagled with the font in the post text now. It is Arial 12 by default. It previously was Georgia 11. Also the signatures are smaller than the post text, so makes it a little clearer.

18. Larinda McRaven

Private Messages are now called Conversations.

Threads are now called Discussions.

Posts are now called Messages.

19. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

It's working fine for me with Firefox 13.0.1 running under Vista.

20. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

It's working fine for me, too, on Internet Explorer v9.0, running Windows 7. Definitely no problem with it cutting off text.

I like the new Arial font adjustment...not sure I like the giant font size, though. It's a lot easier on the eyes but I spend a lot of time scrolling up and down the screen.