Hey Everybody!!! Forum Software Upgrade in the Works

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DanceMentor, Aug 22, 2012.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yes. I did misunderstand. :cool:

I *think* the answer is that the report is unrelated to active versus well-known status, because the first person who mentioned the report button (can't remember who at the moment,) was active, not well-known and, as the few posts above attest, some well-known members do not have the button.
  2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I don't see a personal setting for it, so my guess is that Report requires permissions to be activated for users, similar to the Signature.

P, when we first switched over to the new software, had you noticed there was no Report button and subsequently inquired about it, with the admin "fixing" it for you?
  3. pygmalion

No. I never asked for the report button. I'm enough of a goofball that I never used it in the old software, so I didn't know to miss it. lol. Wooh mentioned the absence of the report button.

The report button showed up magically one day. I wish I could remember when. I only noticed it because one of the other buttons (I can't remember if it's like, reply or edit) was right next to it, so I suddenly had to be careful NOT to report people.
  4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Interesting. Have no idea why it's missing, then. I've never used it and don't care, but I can imagine it would be a pain if it were sitting right next to Like & Reply!
  5. pygmalion

Right now, it's sitting next to my Edit button. Like and Reply are on the other side of the window. Not a problem, since I could only conceivably report myself, and only within that fifteen minute editing window.

ETA: And yeah. Reporting posts is a big don't care for me, 99% of the time. I either ignore spammers or give them a reply consisting of my buddy [​IMG] and they magically disappear (i.e. mods move or delete them.) Works for me.
  6. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

7. pygmalion

Yup. That's what I see.
  8. DL

DL Well-Known Member

My view is like that, only without the "report" link.
    Lioness likes this.
  9. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Could people please let us know what browser version they are using when they note what they can/can't see? That's really important information for our tech people!

Thanks!
  10. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Actually, your tech people ought to put in a hook that records browser and OS data at login. :) But anyway, I'm using recently-upgraded firefox 17.0.1 on Mac OS 10.7.5.

FWIW, I checked the source for the page in question. It's not that there's markup for 'report' that simply isn't getting displayed due to some CSS value; rather I just don't see any markup for 'report' at all. So I would guess that there's a server-side template somewhere with conditional logic for that 'report' link.
  11. pygmalion

Firefox on a PC. I'll try to figure out what version. :cool:

Loving that multiple quotes feature, btw. Groovy.
  12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

All browsers except Firefox....all devices. :)
  13. pygmalion

I have a Report button in ie8.
  14. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Just for fun I tried on Chrome, but I still didn't see a "report" link.

Honestly I'd be quite surprised-and-interested if the presence or absence of that link were browser-dependent.
  15. pygmalion

Agreed. From what I'm seeing, I think there's something funky going on that involves the way user accounts are defined and/or the way protections are set. The signature line and the report button. Same deal. I think browsers may be a symptom, but probably aren't the cause.
  16. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

I don't think this is a browser issue. That said, it is always helpful to know what browser you are using when you are having a problem. There are sometimes browser compatibility issues.
    I have sent a note to the programmer who did the upgrade to XenForo for us. He should be able to get things straight with the report button and the signature option. I could go through and set individual permissions again, like I did for the signatures but, that's just a workaround. Hopefully he will get everything straight- I'm hoping by Monday.
    pygmalion likes this.
  17. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Just for the record, using Chrome on Windows 7 Starter, 10" netbook screen. No signature or report option :)
  18. hereKittyKitty

We have their data in the log files. Its just easier to ask.
  19. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

No report button on IE 8 or 9.
  20. hereKittyKitty

We are still waiting on this. The programmer who did the upgrade had to be pulled away to help work on an emergency situation. So its going to be a few more days.