Hey Everybody!!! Forum Software Upgrade in the Works

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DanceMentor, Aug 22, 2012.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Yes, you will likely see this change this week. Here is what is planned. I'm not asking for feedback yet, as this is already assigned, but we can make further changes on a second round if needed.

Menu Drop Down Items
    [​IMG]

Home Link: I don’t see a reason for the Home link. Let’s just remove it. The logo is the home link.

2nd Menu Row (#1 in picture): I don’t see a reason to have this row. We will have these items in drop down menu

Big Arrows (#2 in picture): These are big and ugly and sometimes the design breaks on some browser sizes. Let’s replace with a simple hyphen “-”

Drop down action: Where you see the position of the #3 in the picture when we mouse over there is an arrow and then we get the drop down. I would rather remove the arrow and just have a drop down if you mouseover any place on the tab.

Forum List Drop Down: Change tab “Forums” to “Forum List”: When mousing over Forum List tab we want to show the forum list from here. Important note: There are user permissions associated with this list so make sure you account for this.

Quick Links: Remove the Members tab and Replace with Quick Links tab, and display the General Links from here again, but with some changes:
    Remove the Help Tab as we have this in the Quick Links

Competitions Drop Down: A little logic here, but we will drop down 12 months starting with current month using this format
    Month Year
    January 2012
    February 2012
    etc.

Music Drop down just like this
    Bolero
    Cha Cha
    Cumbia
    East Coast Swing
    Foxtrot
    Hustle
    Jive
    Merengue
    Paso Doble
    Quickstep
    Rumba
    Salsa/Mambo
    Samba
    Tango
    Tango Argentino
    Viennese Waltz
    Waltz
    West Coast Swing
  2. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

I'd like to request a simpler way to see unreads... right now I have ot open the page and then navigate to a button. Is there a way for this to be done by creating a link that can be used as a bookmark?
  3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

FWIW, I've always used the Home link...have never used the logo, didn't even know it was an active link. For my part, removing the Home link in lieu of an unlabeled link wouldn't be my choice for a UI layout.

...but will we have to click twice, then, for What's New, whereas with it in the 2nd menu row, it's a simple single click? For my part, I prefer seeing the link displayed rather than having to go hunt for it...

Would be great to have All Recent Messages in that 2nd menu row. With Home, What's New and All Recent Messages right there, navigation to everything relevant would be right at hand...
  4. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Yes, I was disappointed to see the "All Recent Messages" not available in the new layout. It has what everyone is asking for!!
  5. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

Did you try clicking the blue arrow in the upper right corner? it brings up a menu that includes recent activity.

I've searched high and low through the xenforo forums for a solution and they don't seem to have one. So we're having to come up with one on our own. Which is why there has been a delay.
  6. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

It is still a two step process. And I don't like the Recent Activity screen. I think it is messy and extremely difficult to sort through. It doesn't matter to me that someone wrote in 15 threads and liked 3 posts. Given a choice I would never ever use that screen.

All people are asking for is to see the list of all of the currently active threads, and not have them disappear once they read them.

I understand that we will have to make do with 1: what you already have asked the programmers to do. and 2: what xenforo is capable of. But it is a shame that one button that would make pretty much everyone happy can't be put in a more accessible place.
    Bailamosdance likes this.
  7. Bailamosdance

My needs are different. I go to dance forums and want to see what is new, which is what was put up since the last time I was on. Right now I have to go to the site and then hit the what's new button.

Is there a way that you could provide a link that I could put in my bookmarks that goes right to the search for what's new?
  8. hereKittyKitty

I realize that this is what everyone wants. Again its on the list. I was offering the recent activity (which I really like) as a temporary alternative.
  9. hereKittyKitty

Maybe this-
    http://www.dance-forums.com/find-new/337119/threads
  10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

If you click on What's New and bookmark the resulting page, that might work.
  11. Bailamosdance

It does not.
  12. hereKittyKitty

Why not? I was able to book mark the link I posted above in FireFox.
  13. Bailamosdance

All it does is bring you to the last search you did for what's new. Try marking all read, then wait a few minutes, and try it.
  14. hereKittyKitty

Ah I see, Well until we get the "Today's Posts" working, you could always bookmark the Whats New page and hit F5 to display the most current data.
  15. Bailamosdance

Well, there is no F5 on an ipad or an iPhone....
  16. Bailamosdance

And f5 does not do what you mention on safari.
  17. hereKittyKitty

There's got to be a way to refresh the page. Every browser has a way
  18. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Even iPhones and iPads allow for browser refresh...
  19. Bailamosdance

Really? They don't work for this situation.
  20. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Would it be possible to add "fixing the system so you don't get kicked out and have to log back in a second time" to the wish list? Please?