Hey Everybody!!! Forum Software Upgrade in the Works

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DanceMentor, Aug 22, 2012.

1. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Actually, that should be this:
    http://dance-forums.com/find-new/threads

A browser following that link (which I ascertained on day one of new-DF and have been using ever since) will be redirected to another link having a number like "337119" in its URL. (It's a little odd to me that the number is in the URL proper, rather being a "get" request parameter, like this: dance-forums.com/find-new/threads?id=337119. Oh, well.)
  2. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

Thanks HKK and Larinda for explaining, for me, the 2 steps process works. Of course would be easier to make it one button click, but I can live with the 2 steps process.
  3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

What's wrong with just marking all read when you leave, then you know what's new when you're next on?
  4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

That's what I do. It works pretty well. I think that what people are objecting to is that threads don't stay on the what's new tab for a whole session. Threads disappear once you read any post in the new thread.

So, for example, if there was a hot and heavy discussion in H&R thoughts while I was asleep and I read and respond to one of the posts, once I go back to What's New, that thread will be gone from my view, which will make it harder for me to find additional posts that I want to reply to. The thread doesn't stay "new" until I mark it read.

I think that's the issue, although I will have to go take a closer look. We've had the new software long enough now that my workarounds are starting to feel normal. So I can't be sure what I'm complaining about. lol.
  5. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Of course, I am reading over this and considering what everyone said. We will have more than one revision after the initial work is done. I can see the advantage of keeping the second row for touch devices where drop downs don't always behave. And maybe we can remove home, but have the Forum drop down tab itself act as a home button (as it is now).
  6. DanceMentor

Now for the device you are using, you must become the master of that device. :)
  7. DanceMentor

The reason for that is because if two threads share the same exact name it is a fail. But also, you can ask the people at Xenforo, but this is also what a product for vBulletin did as well called VBSEO.
  8. DanceMentor

For the subject of "Today's Post" we will work on something that more resembles the previous page in the last software, but we have a big line up and work is already in progress. We finished the installation of the blog today, and received submissions from top coaches which you will see shortly.
  9. pygmalion

So here's what I hope is an innocent question/suggestion.

Does the new software have the old software's ability to attach tags to a thread? I never used that before, but a conversation today made me think that tagging might be useful.

I had an interaction with a mod today, who thought that a thread was veering off topic, when I saw no such veering. That's when I remembered that things are connected differently in different people's minds. If we're talking about wild birds, one person might think about the Exxon Valdez disaster, another might think about bird watching and another wild pheasant hunting. Who's to say whose connection is "right?" All and none are, even though a bird thread might veer off in one direction or the other, depending on who's participating.

This made me think about how the heck one would search for threads and whether you'd find one, if you were thinking about wild birds affected by Exxon Valdez versus wild pheasant for Sunday dinner.

And THEN I thought about all the threads that are named things like "What do you think?" "Should I or shouldn't I?" and "What Do You Think of This Guy?" Absolutely no info in the title.

Is there a way to either tag a thread, rename threads or subtitle threads so that, in months/years to come, people can get the gist of what older threads are about?

I know that's asking a lot, but I'm just putting it out there. Google understands context. Youtube does too. Does xenforo offer anything like that?
  10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

well as to opinions about whether a topic has veered, while you are entitled to a different view, once a mod has directed that it get back on topic, opinions about that are really best left to staff mailbox as delilberation over that just takes the thread further astray and veers close to violating a guideline...all nostalgia or lack thereof over topics such as flirting aside :)..absent the tagging capacity, that is precisely why we like people to be specific and deliberate about how they title a thread, and why the current staff is here to make sure that, unless the topic has been exhausted, we keep tangents to a minimum
  11. pygmalion

Exactly. I wish people would stop calling their their threads stuff like "Hi. What Do You Think About This?" But, since they probably won't, tags would be nice.
  12. fascination

agree....and I think I will make a better effort at tweaking ones like that
  13. DanceMentor

By all means go over to xenforo.com and look at their community section, and we are open to suggestions. We have a bunch of exciting things coming, and we should be able to keep bringing some consistent improvements in the coming couple of months if all goes according to plan.

The second half of 2012 I was heavily involved in a software release for our main software product, and now that is slowing down and my commitment is less, and should remain that way for a few months. I hope to do more here in this first quarter or two of 2013, and already you are about to see some pretty cool stuff (plus fixes and tweaks that you asked for). Give us time. Programming is hard to comprehend but is always slower and more tedious that expected as a rule. That said, it is awesome as things come together. Help us stay positive as we try to make some improvements.
    fascination likes this.
  14. fascination

sounds great
  15. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Thanks! This works great
  16. DanceMentor

17. Bailamosdance

but... it is not today's posts, just the things you have not seen since the last time...
  18. DanceMentor

19. Bailamosdance

20. DanceMentor

Ok, you'll see what we did in a couple of days and we'll talk about it then :)