Hey Everybody!!! Forum Software Upgrade in the Works

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DanceMentor, Aug 22, 2012.

1. JohnEm

JohnEm Member

The new appearance is a triumph of design over function.
    Having to frequently scroll up and down the screen badly interferes
    with reading and following a thread. There is just not enough actual
    content in view and too much screen space is wasted.
  2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Interesting, JohnEm. I didn't realize until you said that that I am scrolling a lot more. It doesn't bother me, but you're right, there is more scrolling involved. *shrug*

I don't know how many current DFers remember when the previous version of DF was put in place (it's been a long time -- 8 years? I mean the site appearance, not the web host. ) Based on that experience, I think that it's important for people to be patient and give honest feedback with as much detail as possible. This new software won't be prefect for our purposes right out the box, so to speak. Heck, just like anything else, it will probably never be perfect. But I can say for sure that DM and his team are very, very receptive to feedback about the functionality of the site. We'll get there.
  3. pygmalion

Oh yeah and, when you post, the "more options" button at the bottom right of your window is similar to the old "go advanced." It's also where you click if you want to preview your post.

That's probably obvious to everybody except me, but I just found those functions, so I figured I'd share.
  4. JohnEm

JohnEm Member

You are right, it's not obvious at all!

I agree that refining changes takes time but my caveat is this
    is prewritten forum software where it's all about the written word.
    I can't help but think that on that basis the imperative behind it
    is deeply flawed. Here I am quoting/replying to your post but
    at fist glance it isn't at all visually obvious that I am in posting mode.
    Previously it would have been.

Being forced into a change doesn't always result in the best outcome.
    I do hope the team manage to change the appearance and
    make it more appropriate to its purpose.
  5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Yes and no, I think. The old version of the forum treated any new messages since your last login as "new." This version does not appear to--new messages are still new messages until they've been read. So unless you mark all threads as read, messages that are currently listed as "new" will still be listed as "new" the next time you log in.
  6. pygmalion

Okay. I give up. How do you quote?
  7. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Press the reply button in the bottom right of the post you want to quote.
  8. DanceMentor

I just switched to verdana font and took the line height from 1.5 to 1.3. I think that should make is a little less scrolling.
  9. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

I like new new font and size better. Still a lot of scrolling, but it's an improvement - and a good compromise between those who want/need a larger font and those who don't. I think the space issue now is less about font and more about spacing between posts, text boxes that don't need to be a large as they are...but it's manageable, and the more I get used to the new look and feel the less it seems to matter.

Thanks for being so responsive to all the feedback! The Administrators here are awesome.:)
  10. DanceMentor

Feedback appreciated, and as best as possible we will try to organize improvement requests and your help is appreciated in that. We may be able to slim down the right side a little more, but that is a little more major where I need a developer to help.
  11. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

There is no option to edit a post. Right after posting if you click on edit it says the edit time has passed, which is 0 minutes. Does this make any sense? I think that a little time should be given, as has been done in the past, and particularly if someone else hasn't posted after you.
  12. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Definitely an oversight. Not our intention at the moment to leave you hanging no edit time.
  13. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what app for iPhones will now work with the forums. I had been using Tapatalk, and loved it, but that doesn't play well with the new platform, it seems. (Or, if it does still work well, can someone please walk me though getting it to work again?). 99% of the time I'm now using my phone, for a variety of reasons, and I'd hate to have to give ip my membership, essentially, just on account o the new platform.
  14. bia

bia Well-Known Member

A funny thing I've noticed: if I'm browsing without having signed in, the website seems to think I'm somewhere several hours ahead of where I am, so I see times for posts well in the future. Does it default to GMT, maybe? But as soon as I sign in, the timestamps change to match my time zone. Makes for some amusing temporal dislocation.
  15. pygmalion

I've noticed the same thing. I'm pretty sure it defaults to GMT, as well.

The old DF had a setting where you could choose your time zone preference. This new forum may have one as well. I just haven't found it yet. Too busy learning important concepts like how to log in. *grin*
  16. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

I don't bother with an app on my iPhone. I just go straight to the site on the Safari browser. Requires a lot of zooming in and out, but it works best for me both on the old platform and the new one.

I've also noticed the time zone thing - I think it is GMT when you aren't logged in. Just more encouragement to log in, I guess. You can definitely set it to your local time under your personal login.
  17. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I have internnet explorer as my crappy browser in my laptop...if I hoever over my name, it takes me to my profile page...but, I cannot, for the life of me find any place to edit any part of my profile other than my avatar...and, given that df has my date of birth as being in 1900...I would like to change that...along with my sig line...any suggestions? (note, the technical side of DF has never been my focus, or part of my skill set)
  18. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I suspect that your IE version number will be a relevant piece of information to anyone who looks into this.
  19. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

20. DanceMentor

Did you hover over the Arrow to the right of your username on the top right of the screen?