Hey Everybody!!! Forum Software Upgrade in the Works

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DanceMentor, Aug 22, 2012.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

as far as I can see, there is no arrow to the right of my user name at the top right of the screen

2. fascination

now, if I click on my username, it takes me to my profile...and if I go to the arrow all the way to the right once I am on my profile page it will take me to a page with other options, noe of which are user control...I may just be dense...but I still can't figure it out

3. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

I found the arrow next to my user name, but it's half covered and just barely visable.

4. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

It's not well-pronounced on my screen but it's reasonably visible.

5. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

So, we've lost our 'status', in terms of how many posts we made? No biggie, just trying to understand this new format.

6. fascination

I think that you lose the little "title" based upon how much you have posted but your post count is still visible on your profile as is and accumulation of "trophies" and "likes"

7. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

It looks like the titles may be defined differently than before. And yes, they are visible on your profile page. So far, I've seen only three titles -- New Member, Active Member and Well-Known Member. I can't tell whether the categories are based on number of posts or current level of activity.

This is probably something that could be changed, if anyone should so desire. I know that, with the old software, we spent quite a bit of time discussing what the titles should be and, IIRC, changed the titles and posts required to achieve each title a bit before we settled on the scheme we had. Also, every other online forum I frequent has self-defined titles. I can't imagine that this new software wouldn't offer similar options.

Warren J. Dew likes this.
  8. pygmalion

Unrelated kvetch: Double posting.

This has only happened to me once, but i have seen it happen to others. How it happens: You write a post (mine was long-ish.) When you attempt to submit, the system thinks about it and thinks about it, then gives you an error message that the server took too long to reply, so you should try again.

There is not change on the screen nor any indication of whether your post was submitted. So you hit submit (attempting to try again) and voila. You now have two copies of the same post.

Quite annoying.

9. pygmalion

Just happened again (although this time, I knew to cntrl-C and copy my post, then check to see if it was already posted before trying to post again.)

The actual message is.

An error has occurred. The server did not respond in time. Please try again.

10. pygmalion

Oh yeah and, while the server is "thinking about" whether to submit your post or not, a beveled gray box appears in the very top right-hand side of the screen. It has three or four little black squares in it, and you can see the squares getting highlighted and re-fresh-ed for several seconds before the error message appears.

11. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

DP solution: copy long posts to clipboard. Click "post reply" button. Refresh page (F5 or whatever your browser button is). Post went through, no problem. Post didn't go through, paste and try again.

12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Is there a feature on the new forum that I'm just not seeing which tells you which threads you've previously responded to, like there was on the old forum?

13. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

There is your "Watched Threads". Those, by default, are ones that you have replied to. You can change that so that you are NOT watching threads. But the system is set up to automatically add anything you reply to into the watched threads.

Attached Files:

14. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

It seems that it shows a little picture of your avatar in the bottom right corner of the avatar of the thread starter, though that only applies to threads you've posted in since the new software.

15. Larinda McRaven

oooh! Good catch!!

16. fascination

did finally find how to access the user controls but it was more about hovering over the notice area, where no arrow is visible for me but the spot, when there is an active update, is darker when I hover over it...but not visible at all when there is no update

17. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

I have had difficulty with the DF server responding when I try to log on. Just an FYI.

I'm sure I"ll get used to the new software soon. Really, quite sure. Confident.

we need the eyebrow smiley back, imho.

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  18. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

From the Yesterday's Activities thread, where I promised I'd post this in the "appropriate thread" so y'all get to listen to me kvetch twice:

<puts on cranky hat> Wrote a long post detailing, excruciatingly, the past week. Clicked "post reply". Server did not respond. Poof! Gone! Yes, I know I can write my deathless prose, copy it to the clipboard, save it, and have it available just in case the server does not respond and my post disappears. This is an unnecessary duplication of effort. <removes cranky hat>

19. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Is there a way to set preferences so that when you click on a thread title you are taken automatically to the first unread post in the thread?

Also, while I appreciate the fact that there are not significant color differences between various parts of the page, it would be useful to have a bit more delineation between posts. I can see that there is a light gray line there already--perhaps it could be made slightly thicker and/or darker?

One last thing...again...does anyone know of apps or similar for iPhones for the reading of the forums?

20. Larinda McRaven

View attachment 1658
    The BLUE DOT next to the title of the thread takes you to the first unread post.

Attached Files:

Sagitta likes this.