Hey Everybody!!! Forum Software Upgrade in the Works

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DanceMentor, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Oh, cool. Thanks! I didn't realize those were links...just thought they indicated unread posts.
  2. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Actually, whenever I click on a thread I end up at the first new post.

Then again, the only way I ever access the forum is (now) http://dance-forums.com/find-new/threads, which lists new threads. So maybe that extends the "magic" of the blue dot to the whole thread title.
  3. asdepique

asdepique Member

In the old forum software, under the date of the thread, you had the numbers of days since the last post was written. It was easier to visualize how old is the thread.
  4. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Like this?
    The first the thread I circled is old, and we know that because of the red pushpin.
    But the circles farthest to the right show the last post date/time.

Attached Files:

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yep. And ( I think this is related.) when you clicked into a forum, you could go directly to the latest post in the latest thread in that forum, without having to click on the forum header and select a thread first. I hope that makes sense.

For example, if I was interested in happy and/or random thoughts, I could click directly there and reply without having to go to the Dancers Anonymous index first.

The way thing are now is requiring extra clicks. Not a biggie, IMO. It's just a matter of re-learning the muscle memory required to navigate the site.
  6. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Ha. I specified my gender but not my avatar.

<==== this happened
  7. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

That happens for me too most of the time, I haven't been paying attention to when it does and doesn't, but I will from here on out.

I also have to say I LOVE the way this new software handles attachments versus the last, keeps me from losing my place when I accidentally close the image.
    Lioness likes this.
  8. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Agreed, mindputtee. The whole new software thing is definitely growing on me...there's only a few things that seem missing, and I don't even know what they are yet exactly.

The new way of uploading avatars is pretty darn awesome. I don't have to edit the image to make sure it's exactly the right number of pixels...just upload an image and drag it to fit!
    Larinda McRaven likes this.
  9. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

Much better, thank you. The limited amount of white that we have now is also better than what it started with, though the all tan look was better still.
  10. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

How do I get to my photos? How do I get to others' photos?
  11. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

We'll get to that as soon as we can. It's not setup for access yet.
  12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Click on your avatar, the Profile Page...this will lead you to a screen where you can see both recent postings and recent activity.
  13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

This is not how it is working for me -- Watched Threads are only those I have manually subscribed to.
  14. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

That's how the old system was set up, though.
  15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I see the spammers are having an easier time of it at the moment...
  16. Larinda McRaven

Not really. You may see one right now, but the amount of work we are doing behind the scenes with them is considerably less.
  17. Larinda McRaven

I found a setting inside your preferences. Look to see if this is checked for you.

Attached Files:

18. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I'm fine with the current functionality -- I don't need to officially "watch" threads I post to -- the notifications for those threads are working fine. With this software, one doesn't need to watch them to get notifications after posting.
  19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Actually, technically not "notifications" but "alerts". They work fine and I don't want threads I've posted to to display under the Watched listing.
  20. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yep. I wanted to post this morning, but ran out of time before I had to leave for work.

I think people who don't see behind the scenes might be surprised at what a great job the mod staff does of making most spam disappear before you ever see it almost all the time, even in the middle of the night. The fact that you see a piece of spam after the software transition doesn't necessarily mean that spammers are getting through because of the new software. It means that nobody from the mod staff has gotten around to deleting and/or moving the post in question ... yet, which happened occasionally (but not often) with the old software, as well.

It is amazing how much spam comes in and "magically" (i.e. through a lot of mod work) gets moved or deleted before it ever becomes intrusive to the rest of us.

Also, there are a lot of safeguards in place in DF now that we learned about the hard way -- things like the prohibition on use of the word re-fresh, like delays between posts and searches etc. These are things that were potential forum-breakers and that are in place now as a safeguard, because of the hard work and vision of the mod/admin staff here.

My $0.02. :cool: