Hey Everybody!!! Forum Software Upgrade in the Works

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DanceMentor, Aug 22, 2012.

1. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

Same here! by now all is well with my little DF world...and I got to keep my avatar...Wow...and to think that's what I change on an almost daily basis on my FB account...Thank god I still get to use it!
  2. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

I'll take that back...I was on page one and hadn't realized there were 5 more! I guess it's going to take a while!!!
  3. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Just checking:

refresh

(I understand why there was a technical problem here, but it always seemed to me a soluble one, and I wonder now how the new software does.)
    TinyDancer109 likes this.
  4. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Ah.

Much better.
  5. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Lioness likes this.
  6. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

It seems everything else same, just seems the quality of avatar photos got blurry, not as high quality as before. Otherwise it is easy to follow.
  7. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I assume that's because the image criteria for the avatars have changed...I can't remember what it was previously, but right now it's minimum 200 pixels, and it resizes to fit. If your avatar is 100x100 or 150x150, the software might be stretching it a bit.
  8. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

In a way, it is similar to facebook, I like there is a "like" button for each posts. That's cool !
    Sagitta and Larinda McRaven like this.
  9. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Those restrictions were put into place after one day when the mod staff sat and watched, mostly helpless, while a bot logged in and generated so many spam posts and spam-post spawn so fast that it brought DF to a standstill in a matter of minutes.

I assume that, if we're able to use refresh, these days, there's something in place in the software to filter our input and prevent melt-downs. OTOH, I will never forget the afternoon and evening I spent watching that bot taking over the site. Nor will I forget he helplessness I felt.
  10. raindance

raindance Active Member

Is there a way to adjust the frequency of alert/update emails we get? The old forum used to have an option to just get a weekly email summarizing updates to a watched thread. Now I am getting an email for each new post, and I don't see how to adjust that. (It will quickly get overwhelming for threads that are active to get an email with each post, but I want to be able to see when things I'm watching get reactivated, so I don't want to turn it off completely.) Thanks.

Still getting used to the new format, but liking it overall.
  11. pygmalion

I didn't see an option to just the frequency, just an option to turn alerts on or off (Mine are off. An alert for each response seems a bit much.)
  12. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I hadn't really paid attention to the blue dot. This is useful. Thanks.
  13. DL

DL Well-Known Member

The ability to "sandbox" user-generated content is a pretty fundamental site requirement.

It's also a tricky problem, but one that can be solved. Even for experts however, truly correct solutions can be surprisingly challenging. To wit:
    http://googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.com/2012/08/content-hosting-for-modern-web.html
  14. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I noticed this too, but I don't mind.
  15. raindance

raindance Active Member

Right, that was my point. I thought perhaps I had missed finding it, but if it isn't there currently I would appreciate more options than just on/off, if possible.
  16. pygmalion

Too funny. I never even knew that the old software had that feature. Oops! :oops:
  17. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Thanks for your help and patience everyone. I think we are pretty stable now. There is more to be done, but at least we have people talking amongst each other and its working. :)
  18. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

agree...I know that, after a few days, I am really liking it...and this is one old dog who doesn't learn new tricks easily
  19. Smooth Dancer

Smooth Dancer Active Member

The Tapatalk on my iPod touch does not seem to work with the new forum. It seems to be stuck on the copy of the forum around Sept 13. Any other Tapatalk users? (I DO hope this app can be made to work!)
  20. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Tapatalk is compatible with XenForo. I am assuming the tech team has not installed the plug-in yet. We will put that on the honey-do-list.