Hey Everybody!!! Forum Software Upgrade in the Works

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DanceMentor, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Please stay away from the Merge function. ;)
  2. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

lol :D
  3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

It seems that something has changed since I logged in yesterday evening. Now, when I browse, instead of redirecting me to the thread I want to view, my browser (firefox) is opening the destination forum or post in a new tab. Extremely annoying. It could be user error on my part, but I did try browsing a couple other sites which seemed to behave normally. I also tried internet explorer and saw the same thing -- massive proliferation of new tabs.

Is anybody else seeing this? Or am I just a crazy old bat who'd feel better after a few hours of sleep?
  4. pygmalion

Okay. Problem gone. I knew that was going to happen, as soon as I figured out a way to post the problem. It was real for about an hour. Cross my heart and hope to die. lol.
  5. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

So this is where that thread had gone!

Just what are those "alerts" about? Almost all of them have nothing whatsoever to do with anything I had posted. What service could they possibly provide?

In the old software, we had a drop-down list to take us to any other forum. Now we only have that Windows7 type of "navigation bar" which cannot take us to another forum, but rather only to the top where we must then navigate from. No, I don't like the Win7 interface either.

Perspective: A few years ago at work, we were all required to read a management book called something like "Who Moved My Cheese?". The metaphor was mice running through a maze to find their cheese. When changes happen, the cheese gets moved. The book then looked at various mice's (meeses? -- "I hate meeses to pieces" seems to ring a bell from the cartoon world) reactions to their cheese having been moved.

My cheese has been moved. I don't like it, but I will eventually have to learn to deal with it.
  6. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Oh! I don't even get to edit one of my own posts? Waltz-Tango-Foxtrot-Oversway?

Now I've forgotten what I was going to add!
  7. pygmalion

The edit function is on the fix-it list.

I am also not a fan of the new way of navigating via a forum header. Not groovy, but what can you do? *shrug*

re: Who Moved My Cheese? Oy! That brings back memories. I took a (IIRC) three x half-day workshop based on that book. Rats in a maze as a metaphor for organizational change. There was some good stuff in that class -- not three half-days' worth, though, IMHO. In retrospect, I can't figure out whether to categorize that class under enlightened opportunism (i.e. If it's a NYT best-seller, people will pay thousands just to say they've had the experience) or a harbinger of the doom that was to come (i.e. Here's a heads up that R&D is getting outsourced overseas next year.) lol. Live and learn... to make your own cheese.
  8. pygmalion

Oh yeah and it appears that the new software defaults to sending alerts for everything -- when somebody likes your posts, when somebody replies to or quotes your posts, etc. I find this annoying, so I turned off all alerts. I went to the pulldown that's to the right of my username and clicked on alert preferences. A couple clicks and voila. Alerts were history.
  9. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

There's a Xerox machine in "Mahagany Row", that space (Navy-speak) occupied by the CEO, sales, etc. Right next to a major conference room. One morning I entered that space to use the Xerox machine and some cubicle partitioning had been erected around it. The CEO was in the neighboring conference room and I very nearly cried out, "Who moved my cheese?" Our CEO has a very good sense of humor, so I think he, who had mandated our reading that book, would have had a good laugh over that.
  10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

listen, I traumatized myself more than anyone else...you are safe in that regard...(can't speak to the other yet to be discovered mayhem that I might un-leash :))
  11. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Ok, so how do you edit your signature line with the new forum software?
  12. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Tapatalk is installed. Let me know if it works.
  13. fascination

well...as I said, for me the area wasn't as visible as it was for those with other browsers ...I didn't have an arrow...but up by my avatar *** to the left of where you hover for updates***** is an area that will darken and then will show all of those editing options
  14. fascination

so...up by the avatar; to the far right when you hover you get alerts, in the middle is conversations/IMs and to the left, directly over the picture, you'll get a drop down of settings and profile options
  15. DanceMentor

Editing your posts should be possible now for several minutes. Long time users get a little extra time.
    mindputtee likes this.
  16. DanceMentor

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I can't find where to edit one's personal signature...do you know where that is? When I click on the above link, says I don't have permissions.
  18. fascination

hover over your avatar? right above it in the narrow space btwn the avatar and the space above it
  19. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

20. Smooth Dancer

Smooth Dancer Active Member

It seems to be working. Will post if it stops doing so. Thank you, thank you, thank you,...