Hey Everybody!!! Forum Software Upgrade in the Works

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DanceMentor, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Tapatalk works!!! Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!

I just went from totally hating the new platform to loving it. (I'm very Tapatalk-dependent.)

This is awesome, thank you. Really.
  2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Nothing happens for me. I would think there'd be a specific place in one's profile that one could set that. Bizarre, I must be missing it.
  3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

i couldn't find it for the longest time...and then I could...shrug...
  5. fascination

one thing I have noticed is that I can't get the hover to work unless I have at least one outstanding alert, or conversation....
  6. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

hum... mine works instantaneously when I barely swipe it.
  7. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Been trying to reply to the "How are your practices going?" thread in the Ballroom Dance area, and I keep getting the "Sorry, the server did not respond in time" error.
  8. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I got that twice in the past few moments as I was moving around the forum too.
  9. cornutt

It seems to be happening pretty consistently on threads that have a large number of replies.
  10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I'm curious if any non-mod/non-admin can see/access this. So far no regular users have piped up and said they can access/modify their signature...
  11. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

nothing for me
  12. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Here's what I see when I go to that link.

You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

Of course, I *think* I may have edited my signature line half a dozen times in the nine years I've been here, so my inability to do so now doesn't impact the quality of my DF life atm. BUT, if I wanted to edit my signature line right now, I wouldn't be able to.
  13. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Just tried to access the forum main page, and got this error message:

It works now...so I don't know what went wrong, but that might mean something to you guys.
  14. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I suspect it might be similar to the problem I had a few nights back (the one when DF kept creating new, unwanted tabs.)

If someone is working on the software and/or database while the site is still up, there may be some issues that are related to the behind-the-scenes work rather than a problem with the software itself. Eh. *shrug*
  15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Any update on the signature feature for non-admins/mods?
  16. fascination

if this is truly not available to anyone yet, it is going to have to be something DM or HKK address as I have no knowlege of it not being available
  17. cornutt

I am having the same problem.
  18. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I'm not able to find it, either.
  19. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

At work and on my older laptop, I had gotten very familiar with WinXP. Now, of course, I never ever bought into that totally bogus "Window Fisher-Price" interface with the huge brightly-colored plasticine colored buttons; I always set my XP boxes to "Classic Windows".
    Now with Win7 (a corrected version of Windows Vista), we have a very bogustified Windows Explorer which the new forum software wants to emulate. Win7 is still a constant irritant, so the new forum software is no less so.

What can we do? When the forum software changes as it inevitably will, we can either adapt to the changes or else bail.

Way back when, back in the day (mid-to-late 1980's), before the World-Wide Web (which didn't become available to the general public until around the mid-1990's), there were local BBS forums and more widely available networks (eg, CompuServe, Delphi). I subscribed to CompuServe, which charged you for each minute of connect time. As a result, I used some software that allowed me to capture all my connect time to an ASCII file and allowed me to compose responses in text files and then stream them on-line. That worked perfectly! But then CompuServe wanted to "improve" their on-line experience. They concocted an entirely different protocol, one which was completely incompatible with ASCII files. I repeatedly implored them to forego this change and they repeatedly stated that this change "vastly improved" the on-line experience. At the end, the only action that was left to me was to cancel my subscription, since their "service" had become totally unusable.

So then, with these new changes, do we adapt, or do we bail?
  20. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Don't navigate via forum header...hit What's New and navigate to the list of what you havent seen yet. Done.
    Larinda McRaven likes this.