High heels effects

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by tanya_the_dancer, Sep 17, 2010.

1. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Max Anderson likes this.
  2. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

We all knew we were doomed! But I found this particularly interesting:

While the team found important differences between barefoot and high-heel, actual heel height change from 4.5, 7.5 and 10 cm, made only limited difference between them, all high-heels were equally as influential on redistributing the forces on the foot.

Max Anderson likes this.
  3. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

There are some other interesting articles in that page.
    Are Dancers Genetically Different ? Yes!
    See, I knew I was born to dance!

Max Anderson likes this.
  4. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

5. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

That doesn't quite explain how standard dancers can do their toe releases with all the pressure going on :)

6. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Because +3 atmosphere's not really THAT much?

And basically the article said "Dancing increases pressure on the forefoot and can make your feet hurt." Really?

7. roxie333

roxie333 New Member

3G is a lot of pressure applied to our toes! Cosmonauts feel 3 times the normal pressure on their entire bodies as they lift on into space.

For dancing in heels, the pressure is not on our entire body but is focused on only one part of our body. No wonder that is the part of our body that usually tires out first! This just reinforces what I was saying in another thread about how to dance comfortably in heels. Padded heels makes a world of difference!

8. I42h6Ilr9

I42h6Ilr9 New Member

Technically pressure is force over area, so it's not any more concentrated on the toes for dances then cosmonauts for their whole body according to your info above.

Often times though, we put tremendous pressure on parts of our bodies all the time, well exceeding 3G, but for very short periods. And we seem to do fine. Such as hoping.

Whatever I said is really not specific to dancing. But my toes get all rough and hardened at the bottom. I'm thinking it's from both the pressure and the tensing of the muscles rubbing under the skin. May also be my beginner skills just destroying my feet.

9. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

I'm a guy so all I know is that high heels make women look sexy. I just wish they didn't have to pay with pain for wearing them.

Ladies that wear high heels should be religious about doing the standard stretches to prevent plantar fasciitis, but I never see any of them at the studios doing those stretches. I often do the stretch even when in the studios because I have the condition and know how important it is to prevent it from getting worse.

Ladies -- do yourselves a favor by doing the stretches before your feet hurts!

10. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I guess there are worse addictions in life than high heels. That said, in my view you have to think about the long term, and it makes sense to find some shoes that you like to wear that are more healthy for your feet outside of dancing. But each person has to decide for themselves what is best for them.

11. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

the moment I am done with a lesson and there is even the possibility of my next student being late, I yank my shoes off and stretch my bare feet.

12. jofjonesboro

jofjonesboro New Member

I've noticed that many of the teachers around here wear dance sneakers. Have you tried them?

jj

PS Stetching your bare feet is always a good idea regardless of your footwear.

13. In addition to plantar fasciitis, wearing high heels also causes shortening and tightening of the Achilles tendons and calf muscles. Thus, stretching of these muscles is also particularly important. Many of the stretches that runners use are particularly effective.

Why Walking Flat-Footed Hurts Habitual High-Heels Wearers: The Effects of Wearing High Heels on Women's Legs

How To Stretch Your Calf Muscles

Heel and Achilles Tendon Stretch

Women in high heels + short skirts = sexy. Women limping around from injuries due to wearing high heels != sexy. ( != means "does not equal", for all you non-computer geeks. :razz:)

14. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

I understand where you guys are coming from, but...I loooove my high heels! Don't get me wrong, I run about 30 miles per week and spend much of my time in flat shoes (whenever possible). But, I have flat arches and flat shoes are very uncomfortable to me.

15. As a person that also has flat arches (although as a guy, I don't exactly have an option of preferring heels over flats), a set of custom orthotics can do wonders. In addition, quite a few health insurance plans cover the cost of getting a pair of custom orthotics.

16. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

lolz...until men have to run around wearing uncomfortable things so that they will be sexy to women....um...I (frankly scarlett)...will wear whatever I like and not worry about the rest overly much...which happens to be short skirt, because I like them...and...wait for it...CROCS.....I am as sexy as I need to be thank you very much :)

17. fascination

wrt stretches for high heel wearers...i do concur that the muscles need to be stretched in an oppositional way to counteract the effect of the way the muscles are used when in high heels

18. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I occasionally see proam female competitors wearing lower heel shoes, presumably due to foot injury or surgery or maybe just for comfort/balance reasons. I struggle myself trying to dance in high heels, just never wore them and I have had problems with plantar fascitis and mortons neuroma. What do you think... do proam girls who wear lower heels risk getting scored lower by judges... or is it not even noticed?

19. fascination

I think anything below two inches might make them wonder if you are young and not dancing with someone who is short...but I doubt it would be a huge factor in pro am...particularly in closed events...as long as the important stuff was there :)

20. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me. My feet thank you.