High heels effects

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by tanya_the_dancer, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

2. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

Given a choice of high heels or short skirts, I'll would choose short skirts. Of course the best option is both! :cool:
  3. Terpsichorean Clod

San Francisco Chronicle article
    Comfortable high heels: an oxymoron?
  4. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

And available in a shoe store near me, I'm pleased to say. Thanks for the link. I feel some retail therapy coming on...
  5. duffypratt

duffypratt Member

The article talks about atmospheric pressure, not gravitational force. Standard atmospheric pressure is slightly less than 15 pounds per square inch. Three times this would be 45 pounds per square inch. Now the question is how meaningful is this sort of statistic.

Suppose a woman weighed 110 pounds. For simplicity, lets also suppose her feet are perfect rectangles, measuring 2 inches across and 5 inches long. That means, with her weight equally distributed over her feet, she would experience a force of 110 divided by 20, or 5.5 pounds per square inch. Stand on one foot, and that pressure increases to almost one atmosphere 11 pounds per square inch. A ballerina of this weight on point is probably experiencing somewhere around 400 pounds of pressure on the top of the toe.

Doing the numbers here, the strange result for me is that the amount of standing pressure on this woman's foot would actually be less than the air pressure on her skin. Something about that seems both odd and probably wrong. But I'm not sure why its wrong.
  6. sonria867

sonria867 New Member

Lately I've seen a number of pro latin follows in 2 inch heals, maybe 2.5. There is hope!
  7. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

I wear my 3 inch heels to dance all the time, unless of course, if I have practice or whatsoever that lasts for about 6 hours, then I change into my practice shoes which are only 2 inch. I have somekind of a board at home, which I stand on and lean forward for a bit to stretch my hamstring and leg muscles so that they don't shorten due to the effects of high heels. Will post a photo of it later.
  8. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42858722@N06/5848209727/
  9. pbdc

pbdc New Member

Doesn't the article just say heels hurt? Who knew right? ;-)
    pygmalion likes this.
  10. Terpsichorean Clod

100m dash...in 9cm heels...

11. DL

DL Well-Known Member

10cm is roughly 4in

What's average heel size for ballroom? latin?
  12. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

Six or seven centimeters. Possibly a bigger difference is that we get to dance on smooth floors, rather than on something close to cobbles.
  13. tonitas

tonitas New Member

Imagine girls ballroom dancing without heels. It's not quiet attracting..for me..
  14. Soulmate61

Soulmate61 Active Member

Air molecules are all around us as water molecules would be all around us under water, the pressure equal in all directions, both downwards and upwards. As Earthbound creatures we have evolved internal organs and skin adequate to withstand atmospheric pressure applied evenly all over the body. This wellbeing does not continue if we dive downwards into water where increasing weight of water creates increasing all-over pressure. Diving even 8 feet down and breathing through lungs becomes problematic under the crush.

Atmospheric pressure tries to crush the human body inwards, but our evolution on this planet has produced sufficiently dense body contents to withstand atmospheric pressure crush without even trying. Atmospheric pressure at sea level is therefore a non-issue.

However bodyweight tries to unevenly crush the one organ at the bottom of the pile -- the feet for a biped standing erect. If one stood on one's hands then hands take the same pressure. Increased G forces crush whatever body part is at the bottom of the vertical pile, whereas increased pressure under water crush the whole body inwards.

Atmospheric pressure is symmetrical and spread all over, but bodyweight is concentrated on one part of the feet in the case of poor dear girls in high heels. It seems there is a price for beauty.
  15. carol frayne

carol frayne New Member

I use my practice shoes which have barely a heel most of the time and save the real deal for the real dancing! Interestingly, I damaged a toe recently and had to have it x-rayed and managed to spend time talking to the doctor who told me that later in life our feet really change not just based on what shoes we have been wearing through our lives but through genetics as well leading to some painful feet later in life! Yikes, who knew?
  16. Soulmate61

Soulmate61 Active Member

Is it possible there is a critical point beyond which damage done is irreversible? And we do not know where that point is until past it?

In 2009 I attended Blackpool Festival. On closing night Marcus Hilton mentioned from the platform in passing, that the physio saw 300 cases over 9 days of competition (3000 couples entering). Not sure how many cases were triggered by high heels. Physio consultations cost £60 a time, so the pain would have hit foot and purse.
  17. carol frayne

carol frayne New Member

I guess a good podiatrist would be able to answer that question, but my guesstimate is that the minute we put on ill fitting shoes and high heels even though we ignore the sore feet when we are young the damage is then starting and once we start to age then we start to see all types of issues. Getting old is clearly not for cissies!
  18. Soulmate61

Soulmate61 Active Member

Years ago my dance teacher had a limp.
    Donnie has 2 bad knees, Gaynor has 1.
  19. Chris Eaton

Chris Eaton Member

I feel so conflicted over this Thread?
    On the one hand, reading through what you girls have to suffer because you chose to wear heels is appalling. Some of the things you describe are simply awful.
    I had to re-read some of the posts more than once to fully comprehend how much damage could be done in the name of your "art".

On the other hand, as a bloke who thinks that heels make a Ladies legs look wonderful, almost to the point that I have sometimes wondered if I was a foot fetishist, until I realised that I can never remember preferring to kiss a woman's toes more than her lips, so I guess I am still "normal" (whatever Normal is nowadays !). (AND I was in the Navy for 15 year, and you all know what they say about Sailors)

However, I have been so moved by the whole thing that I spoke to a friend who works in a Chiropodists as a Physio. She says that over the years she had treated lots of ladies whose "injuries" were directly related to Dancing in heels. It was an interesting talk, and I have a lot more understanding why some if the girls at my dance class come to practice in flat shoes.

RESPECT LADIES!
    Chris
    Joy In Motion and fascination like this.
  20. Joy In Motion

Joy In Motion Member

Thank you for this, Chris! It's so sad to hear men say they know that heels are damaging to women's health but they look sexy so women should stink it up.

I was recently chatting with a group of dancers (half of them men, half of them women). One man was expressing concern about the damage that heels do to his wife's feet. A second man said to him laughing, "Don't you find them a whole lot sexier than flats though?" The husband looked straight at this guy and said "I care about her health more." Now that's a sexy man. Men, think about the message you send to women when you respond to health threats against women with "But it's sexier." Sexy is in the eye of the beholder, and we should recognize that much of what we think of as sexy is culturally conditioned and can be changed with education and prioritizing what's important.

Here's an image taken from Katy Bowman's book, Every Woman's Guide to Foot Pain Relief:

[​IMG]
    The first image shows natural alignment, the second shows where a woman would be naturally aligned in high heels, and the last image attempts to convey how much the body has to compensate to find a new vertical in high heels. Think of all the pressure this puts on the "posterior chain" of a woman's body just to stand in place. Now think of all the women who say they would love to give up high heels if it weren't for the fact that men won't dance with them or find them sexy unless they're wearing "proper" dance footwear.