Holistic Health Thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, May 18, 2012.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Nope. Not medicine. Health. (I know at least one DFer who'd be very uncomfortable if we exchanged medical advice.)

But ... what kinds of things do you do on a day to day basis to stay healthy without intervention from western medicine?

Here are some things my friends recommended to me.

1) Taking apple cider vinegar every day
    2) Taking low dose aspirin
    3) Taking garlic supplements
    4) Cutting back on or eliminating caffeine
    5) Getting rid of any artificial sweeteners and using Stevia instead, but only as needed
    6) Staying better hydrated
    7) Taking more breaks and walking outside every day
    8.) Praying and meditating
    9) Taking fish oil

Good ideas? Bad ideas? Have you tried any of these? What were your results? Have you tried anything else? What sorts of alternative therapies do you use? Massage? Aromatherapy? Rolfing? Smoothies? Dietary supplements? Transcendental meditation? Lots of other stuff?

Bottom line. What do you do to get or stay healthy without having to visit an MD?
  2. mjnemeth

mjnemeth Member

Taking low dose aspirin IS prescribed by doctors. Whether you should take without doctors
    say so is a heather issue. Some of the other things maybe recommended by some doctors and
    not be others like TM.
  3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

my advice: use only raw apple cider vinegar for this, not cooked. as with most things cooked vs. raw (OJ, for example), the pasteurized version is acidifying in the system, and unpasteurized is alkalizing. you want the alkalizing effect.

as for the rest, i do so many different things for different purposes, have been into holistic health most of my adult life, and have been able to resolve some serious illnesses and chronic conditions through this approach. i can be a bit far out in this regard - i suspect you are looking for more mainstream-ish answers to your question. :)
  4. Angelo

Angelo New Member

wearing my seat belt

regular physical activity

no smoking
  5. pygmalion

Not necessarily. I'm willing to entertain (even if not necessarily adopt) all ideas.

Ha! I remember my introduction to raw ... uh ... stuff 15-ish years ago. A friend invited her raw/vegan friend to come in and talk about nutrition. I was 100% with her when she said that, in many cases, buying vitamin supplements is just paying for expensive pee, but, when she suggested eating "live" algae, I was like :shock: uhhh .... NO!

Now I'm fully on board with both ideas. It took a while, but I'm there.

Hey. Come one; come all. Ya never know. A seed of an idea today may bear fruit one day, way down the line.

Of course, share only what you're comfortable sharing. (I mean any/everyone, not just sami :cool: )
  6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

oh yah... blue green algae...marine phytoplankton... good stuff. :) :cool:
  7. pygmalion

I said I'm on board. Didn't say I love it. :wink:
  8. pygmalion

Hear ya, mj.

The active ingredient in aspirin has been around for hundreds if not thousands of years, although it was probably just called willow tree bark, back in the day. It was just another home remedy until some smart westerner decided to monetize it. I'm sure someone would monetize honey and lemon as medicines, if they could get people to pay for it. :wink:

As it so happens, I am on low-dose aspirin therapy as recommended by my cardiologist, but ... I wouldn't necessarily wait for a doctor to tell me it's okay to take aspirin.

Not suggesting anybody else should have my view, btw. :wink:

Which brings me to ginger and red pepper, both of which are used as remedies, in more than a couple cultures I know of.

Any thoughts on either, as a day-to-day part of the diet?
  9. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Cough drops are a mass-produced consumer good, available over the counter at just about every drug store.
  10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i take cayenne almost daily -- it is a circulatory system adaptogen, great for anybody, IMO mandatory for anyone with heart problems. usually what i do is make a "soft drink" with a variety of ingredients, including the cayenne (plus turmeric, raw apple cide vinegar, nascent iodine, MSM crystals, and raw honey or royal jelly, and bentonite clay and zeolites if i have them handy). i commonly make a bottle and take to work to sip all day.

i also love warm teas with cayenne, dark hot chocolate (made with raw cacao or melted dark chocolate) with cayenne, and I put both cayenne and fresh hot peppers in my Live Green Smoothies and raw cocktails. *love* cayenne.

as for ginger...for health purposes (and again, especially for anyone with heart challenges) i prefer galangal. i use to make teas, as a base for smoothies, or in a kind of "soft drink" similar to above.

i had been intrigued to hear that galangal was regarded by the mystic & herbalist Hildegaard von Bingen as "the spice of life", and how good she believed it was for the heart. i tried a few varieties and found that one of them gave an extremely strong sensation of well-being and opening of the heart. was very impressed. but the variety in my cabinet right now is not as strong -- need to order more of the good stuff.

galangal is the flavoring used in the thai "tom ka gai" soup (it is the "ka") and it is a root that looks similar to ginger, but you can also buy it in dried form.
  11. mjnemeth

mjnemeth Member

Yes knew aspirin, And honey and lemon is called cough drops LOL. Actually Im something of a herpetologist Many herb in fact work and doctors know that, there are several issue though,
    standardization, dosage, interactions and side effects.
    example, camomile tea, my wife take many drugs, if she drinks the tea she'll fall asleep; so fast and solidly she did it driving in the early afternoon.

work:
    Red pepper: works externally for certain pain relief.
    willow bark, aspirin, work as you know not cost effect!
    saw palmetto, work to reduce prostrate swelling, doctors dislike because can mask cancer
    camomile
    Saint John's wort works for depression to a slight degree works

these are from my personal experience, know about many other.
    Cost effectiveness is a issue.
  12. pygmalion

Thanks! I'll look into galangal. Never heard of it, but I will find out.

My perspective is that it really comes down to a moment of decision. Am I going to live with the waiting to get sick and then medicate mindset? Or am I going to live with the getting/staying healthy mindset?

Not by any means suggesting that one shouldn't medicate if sick, but what if one could live in a way that minimizes the probability of sickness in the first place?

I've been thinking a lot.

The other decision I'm facing is just how raw to go. Pretty much everything folks have suggested to me can be bought in a mass produced pill from some company or the other. Probably better than nothing, but not exactly what I envisioned when I decided to look into holistic approaches to health. Lining up 27 supplement bottles and popping pills before work in the morning is probably better than nothing, but not exactly my goal. The pills can be some unpronounceable man-made chemical compound or dehydrated greens in soft gels. Dehydrated greens is probably better, but ...

Not sure that makes sense, but that's kinda where I am right now.
  13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

fwiw, am not anti pills, but minimal pills. pills are rarely a substitute for raw ingredients as they exist in nature. cough drops aren't remotely the same thing as raw honey and fresh lemon juice.

just as fresh greens aren't remotely the same thing as a blood thinner that contra-indicates taking fresh greens.

(that one makes my head spin -- i hear it all the time. if you need to thin your blood and Live Green Smoothies will do that for you, and give you a host of other benefits, including correcting the health imbalance you are currently struggling with, then...why exactly aren't you taking that instead of a pill that requires you to stay off of the most life-enhancing food on the planet? no comprendo...)
  14. pygmalion

I'll have to read the label on some cough drops, the next time I'm at CVS. Not sure why, but I assumed that cough drops, these days, contained artificial stuff, not the real thing. My bad. I'll look.

Re: cost effectiveness. Hmm. Depending on what you're looking for, you may be able to find some bargains at Pilgrim's Pride. Buy one get two free, right now, on a lot of their stuff. They sell lots of vitamins and supplements, and have a ton more certified organic products than they used to.
  15. pygmalion

Yep. My Mom is taking a blood thinner and has not been allowed collard greens or cabbage for years. Seriously!?!? Blows my mind. "Take this chemical and oh, by the way, don't eat the healthful greens that you've eaten all your life."

Mind boggling.
  16. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I agree with that, as far as it goes. I would add: Moreover, claims as to the precise effects of supplements circulate in an ad-hoc and unregulated fashion. Furthermore, there are often quality concerns with the purity of commercially-available supplements.
  17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

my mom, too, P. yes, it does fairly boggle the mind.

what i've observed is that these issues surprisingly come down to a person's concept of "authority" -- does someone live by the authority of external "experts", or does one trust one's own inner authority to guide one's path toward what is genuinely best for one's personal situation. taking that leap is huge-huge-huge, huger-than huge. someone who has not done that in her life in other areas is not likely to do it when she is frightened by a health challenge. fear causes you to cling to the security of what you know, and isn't a good terrain for reaching for the unknown.

but...there are those few who reach a point of desperation that it drives them to reach beyond the unknown to "whatever will work, i don't care", and they often have huge paradigm shifts and become willing to try what they would have previously considered "radical".
  18. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I'm not saying they're the same thing. You said you thought someone would eventually try to sell honey+lemon as a medication, and I'm saying that you can see packages in drug stores with pictures of honey+lemon on the label; i.e. it's already been done and that's how.

Well, and when I was in a drug store and had a cough, I saw some such cough drops and bought them because they were just *that* convenient, cheap, and hey, they worked, too. Not as nice as real honey+lemon, but they fit in my pocket all day with far less mess.
  19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

couldn't disagree more. and i find the path that this argument points toward to be a dangerous one. it leads to the FDA governing the use of natural supplements and herbs, and even food, which they are beginning to do now. utterly unacceptable. it will further & rapidly destroy food and health freedoms.

professionally, i work in an FDA-regulated industry, and the majority of my life energy (no hyperbole here, though it is ironic) goes toward protecting and ensuring the safety of those who choose to use FDA-regulated pharmaceuticals.

but let the FDA keep to pharma and protecting those who want to turn to pills for their medicine. natural remedies and natural foods should remain utterly out of their jurisdiction.
  20. pygmalion

Yeah.

I think that, sometimes, it comes down to a balance, as well.

When my Dad had cancer (undetectable antigen levels for 13 years, thank God,) he did both. He rejected the idea of chemo (against his doctors' recommendations,) went with localized radiation, and juiced like his life depended on it. He still juices to this day. Who knows which part of his regimen did the actual healing? Maybe it was just his, "I'm not planning to die yet," mindset.

That's why, in the first post, I deliberately asked about the mental/spiritual. Health is health, and involves the whole you, not just the physical you. My thoughts only.