Holistic Health Thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, May 18, 2012.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

true, P. there is the whole mind-body/metaphysical aspect, as well. the ability to habitually guide one's mind to states of well-being that enhance one's immune system and ability to overcome states of imbalance and disease is a very real factor. just as one can use the mind to habitually undermine one's health & well-being.

mind/spirit and the impact of mind/spirit on the body is a potent factor.

2. DL

DL Well-Known Member

There are snake oil salespeople who take advantage of such people and their families, bilking them out of vast sums of money with technically-legal false hope. They "twist the knife" in an already-tragic circumstances.

I agree with your point that informed participation in their own wellness by individuals is a good thing. Understanding why a recommendation is made is a good thing, regardless of the recommendation's source.

There are some folks (I'm not saying that there are any in this thread) who seem to think that a recommendation is inherently more trustworthy if it did not come from a western doctor, and that seems bizarro and naive to me. A skeptical approach to all recommendations seems reasonable to me; lending more credence to recommendations lacking scientific merit by dint of that fact alone seems wacky.

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Good stuff, here, DL.

This is what I think a lot of people bump up against, when making health/lifestyle decisions. Buying the OTC or prescription medication is easy. Making substantive lifestyle changes can be hard.

I'm not suggesting that lifestyle changes would do anything for a cough due to cold (channeling Forrest Gump,) but I think (hope) that there are ways to make daily, incremental changes that impact chronic or catastrophic health issues, like heart disease, stroke, diabetes, maybe even cancer.

That's it, to me. That's the point. What can I do differently today so that I don't have to be like my Mom with (I think she has) 8 or 9 prescription medications, 20 years from now? she needs the medicine now, but what if she'd made different choices, when she was my age or younger?

4. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I'm not making a case for what should or should not be in the FDA's jurisdiction. But there are supplements (I do not say all supplements!) available on store shelves that have not anywhere in the supply chain gone through quality assurance processes like those that are applied to pharmaceuticals, nor even foods.

I think consumers should take care in this regard, that's all.

5. pygmalion

Exactly. Regardless of which approach(es) you take, be informed and advocate for your own health.

6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

sure there are. but there may be even more tragedy that is precipitated daily upon masses of people by "medical professionals" -- barbaric practices that are regularly performed on the vulnerable, trusting and uninformed. i'll leave the examples out, but they are legion, and FDA-approved.

i stand for every person having the right to put their trust in the path and person they see fit -- whether it be a doctor, an herbalist, their backyard garden, a faith healer, or a bone-pierced shaman.

i consider many things that are marketed and accepted as medical necessities to be tragically damaging invasions of people's health. it is a matter of perspective and education. you wouldn't get me anywhere near a mammogram, or a flu vaccine, or chemo (even those i am giving my life energy to keep "safe" for their users). but i respect the freedom of those who choose those paths, which i consider utterly "wacky".

"wacky" is a relative concept.

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i agree...and apply that across the board, to FDA-approved items as well.

for example, people consume FDA-approved aspartame all the time... in cough drops, as well. if one becomes truly informed about aspartame, that's a mind-boggler. but i challenge you to find a gum in any store you frequent that does not have aspartame in it. it's FDA-approved and should therefore be safe, right? but it's a neurotoxin that people consume and feed to their kids in massive quantities.

meanwhile, armed food police are raiding private co-ops and people's homes in california to throw out raw milk and arrest anyone who is buying or using it. and a particularly helpful medicinal herb is illegal to grow, own or use, despite its pain-relieving and cancer-overcoming properties.

wacky.

ETA: holistic health touches upon many controversial subjects. :)

8. pygmalion

A lot depends on the paradigm(s) you've bought into. When my BIL was deathly ill (turns out he had an advanced case of untreated diabetes,) he went to a Western doctor, his Catholic priest and a shaman. His western doctor gave him meds, his priest prayed with/for the family, and his shaman gave him herbs and "cleansed" his house. And he felt better. At the end of the day, he got better.

Each paradigm has its own normal and its own wacky. I think I may be comfortable bridging multiple approaches because of my own upbringing, in a culture where people have largely learned to be distrustful of the medical establishment** and to seek other remedies.

But who's to say which paradigm is "right?" I suspect many approaches have chunks of useful truth in there, somewhere.

But that's just me.

** Witness the Tuskegee experiments, for example. Lots of reasons for Black folk to be suspicious.

9. pygmalion

Which is why we'll have a lively and respectful conversation about it, I hope. :wink:

Off for my stress test. See y'all later. :wink: :car:

10. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I don't make that argument. However, you have some reasonable assurance it's there, and how much is there, and that things not listed among the ingredients aren't there. Well, if you still want to consume it, that's your choice; but at least it's an informed one.

11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yup.

and yup. and sadly, there are many other examples like that one.

12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

it is however the assertion that the FDA makes when they approve such chemicals for wide-spread, unrestricted use...

and yet, how does the massive use of that one chemical affect our population's overall "holistic health", i wonder. headaches...mood swings...joint & nerve inflammation & pain...depression...lethargy...tumors...acne...toxic overload leading to various states of acute or chronic disease, including cancer. i wonder how much money is spent on doctor's visits and other treatments because of the imbalance that is injected into people's systems just from this one thing.

seeing that one's multiple daily diet cokes (or DMDs) may be intrinsically connected to other apparently disconnected symptoms is definitely a move toward improving one's holistic health. but it's a renegade approach because it involves questioning what we previously accepted as norms.

13. mjnemeth

mjnemeth Member

You're probably right a cough drops at cvs but maybe not at health food store .
    And bet you right, original they used the real thing
    Also Im guess both ginger and cinnamon more cost effective to used naturally.
    Cinnamon great in that you use it every day in so many things, coffee, tea, milk and desserts.
    Honey, try to get it produce within 5miles of your home; suppose to help with allergies in your area that way. Since Im diabetic, I would not use it orally but have see reports of clinics and hospital using for treating diabetic wounds. Try it; who knows if it really worked.

14. pygmalion

Yup. Anybody including kids can buy caffeine, refined sugar and aspartame in unlimited supply. Adults can add in as much nicotine and alcohol as they want. Meanwhile, medicinal marijuana gets you arrested, most places. Hmm.

re: overall health, just want to interject something else I discovered when I wrote a health awareness newsletter last year (Oh the irony!)

Tiny, incremental changes can make a significant difference over time. For example, I found a list of things one can do to lose ten pounds in a year. TINY things. Things like eating one pat of butter per day instead of two. That's roughly 100 fewer calories per day, which adds up to 36500 calories a year = roughly ten pounds lighter next year this time, if you spread the butter on rather than slather it. No need to give up butter; just be moderate about it.

Conversely, an extra pat of butter, over time, could be ten pounds heavier next year, all other things being equal.

That sounds miniscule, I know, but I think that little choices, over time, add up to a lifestyle.

I've thought about this in the context of eating raw, as well. 60 or 70% raw is a goal of mine, but, long before I get there, I suspect I'll start to feel the positive effects.

Didn't mean to sidetrack the ongoing conversation, if there was a thread. So BOT. :cool:

15. pygmalion

I have a friend who swears by locally produced organic honey. She says that, since she started giving it to her toddler granddaughter a few months back, her granddaughter's lifelong allergies have all but disappeared. The little girl used to have thick mucus draining all the time. Not anymore.

Disclaimer: The American Pediatrics folks do not recommend giving honey to a child under age two because of the outside possibility that the honey will contain live bacteria.

16. pygmalion

I have very mixed feelings on this issue. I've heard too many horror stories about people who were forced to go overseas to get life-saving medical treatments because the treatments were denied or delayed by the FDA. (One example of how regulations can hurt. There are other examples.) I've also heard allegations that FDA approval is not just about consumer safety and that there are both political and financial ramifications that perhaps shouldn't be involved. No idea if there's any substance to the allegations. Just putting it out there.

OTOH, it would be nice to be assured that, when I open a bottle of, say, fenugreek, the capsules contain the potency and amount of fenugreek that's claimed on the bottle.

If I had my druthers, the food supplement and holistic health providers would be self-policing, in a way similar to, say, the gluten-free industry. The gluten free folks have a very powerful lobby, huge national information-sharing groups, and have developed independent certifying organizations that have nothing to do with the FDA. (The FDA doesn't, as far as I know, even have a gluten free reg, yet. There's a guideline -- less than 20 ppm -- but no reg.) In MY ideal world, something similar would exist for vitamin and supplement manufacturers.

17. pygmalion

An often overlooked aspect of health, IMO. I never even thought about this until I was asked about it in one of those online health assessments. Makes sense, though. Safety equipment is there to keep you safe or maybe even alive.

Should be obvious. I wonder why so many people don't pay attention.

18. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yep, i'd say anything from 50% on up is going to be palpable. 70% could be life-changing if you've been following the Standard American Diet. 85% is downright magical.

19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

because of the nature of my professional responsibilities, i won't discuss this here, but i will point to some of the FDA's own statistics, which should be thought-provoking:

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/Developmen...ources/DrugInteractionsLabeling/ucm114848.htm

ETA: it is estimated that only 1/10-1/100 of overall serious adverse events are ever reported, so the full scope is not reflected in those numbers.

20. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

17 hours of physical fitness exercise/dance in 6 days...8 hours of sleep...or a nap...every day...in this sedentary society, it is a very important and overlooked component to health ...you have to move it....(which also helps with the sleep as well)