Holistic Health Thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, May 18, 2012.

1. freeageless

freeageless Active Member

I note there have been a number of criticisms of the FDA on this thread. I remember when Thalidomide was in popular use in a number of European countries. As a result many children in those European countries were born without arms and legs. This never happened in the U.S. The reason: the FDA never approved it for use in the U.S. See below article.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thalidomide

2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

not true. thalidomide has indeed been approved by the FDA, as well as its derivative, lenalidomide, both of which are alive and well in the prescribing world. and FDA plays an important part in the risk management of delivery of those therapeutic protocols.

whatever criticisms have been construed of the FDA in this thread should be understood in the context of the point of this thread.

3. freeageless

freeageless Active Member

These direct quotes are from the site I listed in my prior post:

"In the United States, pharmacologist Frances Oldham Kelsey M.D. withstood pressure from the Richardson-Merrell company and refused Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval to market thalidomide, saying further studies were needed. This reduced the impact of thalidomide in United States patients. Although thalidomide was never approved for sale in the United States, millions of tablets had been distributed to physicians during a clinical testing program. It was impossible to know how many pregnant women had been given the drug to help alleviate morning sickness or as a sedative.
    In 1962, the United States Congress enacted laws requiring tests for safety during pregnancy before a drug could receive approval for sale in the U.S. Other countries enacted similar legislation, and thalidomide was not prescribed or sold for decades."

4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

my comment was in response to "the FDA never approved it". i'm aware of the sad events of what happened.

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I went to high school with a girl who was a "thalidomide baby." She has what looks like a mermaid's tail instead of legs and feet. (Thalidomide baby is a really mean label, btw.) My Mom, when she was pregnant with my sister immediately my senior (9 years older) had thalidomide prescribed for nausea, IIRC, but she refused to take it.

Not sure where one would get the impression that thalidomide was never approved for use in the US. It was.

6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

sadly, it was prescribed in the context of clinical trials.

7. DL

DL Well-Known Member

(Honestly I keep hoping this thread will stop being about the FDA. It makes no sense to me why that organization keeps getting brought up. Am I the only one?)

8. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Not the only one. To me, the FDA discussion seems a little too political for a thread that I thought was meant to be about natural health methods.
    In my mind, using natural health methods doesn't mean that pharmaceutical methods are at all bad. In my mind, suggesting things like "drink water, eat clean, X oil is good for your skin" is different to "Avoid X manufactured product because it can cause X"

Just my view on why I'm not participating in this thread very much, although I try to keep my diet clean.

9. pygmalion

Thanks for your perspective, L. I understand. I've come close to quitting this thread, more than a few times, for a variety of reasons. But, at the end of the day, the goal of the thread is for people who are trying to get healthy to exchange ideas about things they have done or are doing to get and stay well. That's all.

Not sure how or why it got to be about one person's standards for acceptable speech around healthcare.

I see why you think the FDA piece of it is political. It's because of the way a few members of DF have chosen to make it polarizing. The FDA is like ... I can't think of an Australian equivalent. It's non-partisan and it does regulate much of what Americans are allowed to ingest. Is it political? A totally separate question, IMV, because everything that involves power, money and large groups of people has the potential to be political. I think it's possible, easy even, to talk about things the FDA does without talking politics ... but only if the people participating in the thread are willing to have open-minded discussion, which apparently, some folks are not. I've done everything I could to steer the conversation to where I intended it to be.

Now it's time for me to stop throwing the basketball to people who drop it.

10. pygmalion

And on a brighter note, what does lemon do for you? I've been working on my diet for about two months, this time around. As a part of that, I drink at least a Big Bubba** full of lemon water every day. Truth? I feel better when I drink lemon water than when I drink just plain old water. I also know that the Master Cleanse uses lemon (cayenne and I think molasses) in water. I also know that grandmom and great-grandmom applied lemon to many a home remedy situation. That and "liniment," whatever the heck that is. Don't ask. :lol:

Just curious. What gives with the lemon?

Also, while I'm on the subject of water, does anybody use filter pitchers? I'm looking for one and don't know what to look for, spec-wise. I blindly bought a Brita something-or-the-other, because it was on sale at Target. I truly have no idea about the pluses and minuses of water filters or how to choose one, to be honest. Help! :)

** Seriously. Get a Big Bubba. You won't be sorry. *grin*

11. pygmalion

Did I mention that Sprouts has organic lemons for $0.49 apiece this week? Seriously. If you're in or near a big city in the West or Southwest, check out Sprouts. It's been here's in north Texas for five years, and I have to say that it's groovy.

12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i believe the discussion went in the direction of asking about labeling and what "organic" means in our grocery stores, and whether it's political or not, it's factual that government agencies control those things. someone questioned what the FDA has to do with that...and it was answered.

and P is right, we have repeatedly veered into deeper discussion of government agencies because of repeated challenges, rather than being respectfully allowed to discuss the viable options of following a holistic approach to health.

for my part, i won't be taking those challenging comments into account, anymore.

but, lio, the subject of holistic health can quickly ping many controversial subjects because it brings into focus ideas that may challenge commonly held assumptions about health. and because so many aspects of health choice are controlled by governmental agencies, it is impossible to sidestep their mention while giving all the facts.

i don't see their mention, as facts, as political at all though. it's just reality.

13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

lemon is alkalizing and cleansing, seems to dissolve calcifications (ergo, used as a natural treatment for kidney stones) and clear out mucus. factors into the natural remedies used by my greek fam, as well.

but i want to know about the liniment. :)

seriously, have come across its references countless times in the context of reading (novels) since i was a kid and have always wondered and never looked into it. please do tell.

14. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

We used to use liniment on horses in the summer. Think: Sea Breeze. Mildly menthol-ish. Diluted in water, washed over legs and whatnot, it feels cool and tingly. Can help to cool, but if kept wrapped up then it heats (it's a mild counter-irritant).

Dunno about humans though... Can't be much different than Bengay or tiger balm or some other similar rub.

15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

ah, that makes sense.

Pyg, was your grandmom's liniment a homemade concoction, or something store-bought?

16. pygmalion

It was homemade. I'll ask my Mom if she remembers the basic ingredients. Awful smelling stuff that was wonderful for aches and pains.

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i'd like to know that, Pyg. thanks.

18. pygmalion

It was mostly camphor which, according to my googling, is an active ingredient in Vicks Vaporub. Ha! It was so funny. When I asked my Mom, she said, "You know, you just go to the drug store and buy a block of camphor." Uh. No. I don't know any such thing. :lol: According to WebMD, "camphorated oil" was removed from the US market in the 1980's because of "safety concerns," but it's still available OTC in Canada. My Mom doesn't remember the exact recipe, but grandmom's magic liniment was mostly camphor.

Here's what WebMD says. "Camphor is used topically to increase local blood flow and as a “counterirritant,” which reduces pain and swelling by causing irritation."

19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

thanks, P. (and people wonder why the FDA keeps popping up.)

i've decided to bow out of the thread. i am out of place here, though i have enjoyed much of the discourse.

hope the thread continues to grow...

20. pygmalion

I'm so sorry that it's come to this, but I do understand and ... reserve the right to PM you with impertinent questions. :wink: :lol: