Holistic Health Thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, May 18, 2012.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

:)

am considering how to go about it...

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Here's an easy to do, no equipment stretch I like. Stretching for Dummies suggests that you make it a deeper stretch by clasping the resting hand on the leg of your chair, at a spot that feels comfortable, so that you're stretching, but not hurting yourself. (From yoga class) You can also put your resting hand under your bottom to enhance the stretch.

[​IMG]

3. pygmalion

Where does one buy raw vinegar? I went local grocery (which has a huge selection of organic stuff.) No luck. I went to Sprouts Farmer's market (ditto on the huge selection of organic.)

Zero. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Braggs brand...in every health food store and most grocery stores in my area, pretty common. Probly on amazon, too. :)

5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

BTW, you can make a delicious "raw soda pop" by whipping up raw apple cider vinegar with quality honey and your flavoring/fresh fruit of choice. add to 32 oz with some ice and blend. wildly re.freshing...

ETA: google raw soda pop live green smoothie

6. pygmalion

Thanks. Not sure why I didn't think of health food stores. :idea:

7. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Re: exercise and staying fit.

Cardio is great, but if you're dieting too, lifting weights/bodyweight exercise is important to make sure you're losing fat, not muscle. If you're lifting heavy, it tends to burn more calories than cardio, and (for me at least) it's much more fun. There's nothing I hate more than being on a cardio machine for more than 10 minutes. I'm okay with running outside, but not machines. But weights for 10 minutes? Easy. Heck, weights for 60 minutes=easy.

Just food for thought. Even a few push-ups once every couple of days can help.

8. pygmalion

It's surprising how many calories weight-lifting can burn while building muscle. I've also heard that "weight-bearing exercise" (whatever that means) is essential to help minimize the bone loss that can happen as you age.

9. pygmalion

Speaking of growing older, what do folks do about maintaining flexibility?

I remember two ladies that I use as counter-examples. One was DS's first grade teacher who was not that much older than I am now and who literally COULD NOT get down on the floor with the kids, because she could not get up. She said that she wished she'd never stopped getting down and crawling around on the floor, because she'd lost the ability.

And another lady whose name I never got. She came to try out a yoga class I was in, years ago now. I guess she was about forty at the time. The teacher took us into a simple half lotus, and this lady's reflection in the mirror was positively jarring.Her knees were in a sharp V shape. She could not get them anywhere near the floor, because her inner thigh muscles would not stretch. I know it sounds tacky, but, when I saw her, I thought, "How in the world does that woman ever have sex, with thigh muscles that tight?" Seriously, it was creepy.

So back to my questions.

What, if anything, do you do to increase joint mobility, flexibility and lubrication? And how about muscle flexibility? And, for those old enough, what do you do differently now than you did ten, twenty or more years ago?

10. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

She CAN eat those things, she just has to maintain her diet with a constant amount of them. She can't go collard green crazy on Sunday then none the rest of the week. And she needs to make sure that she's getting her levels checked while she's adjusting the amount in her diet. So if she wants to add them to her daily diet, she just needs to make sure to consult with her healthcare provider to do so safely.
    (And that's one case where aspirin would be a bad idea without her healthcare provider that's prescribing the coumadin being aware.)
    :)

11. pygmalion

She doesn't take aspirin anymore. She had a friend who was on coumadin and who bled to death. I don't know the details, but whatever happened scared my Mom poopless. No more aspirin.

I'll talk to her about the greens, though. The thing is that Mom is 81 and comes from a generation in which you don't ask questions. I really would like to go with her to her doctor, one of these days. I ask questions. :idea:

12. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Actually, botulism spores. And it's far from outside possibility. Even with the warnings, I still see a couple kids a year. And botulism in a baby is not pretty.

(But if it's an older kid, the locally produced honey thing actually is good. Or just let your kids get dirty. That's all the honey is doing, exposing them to the allergens of the world.)

13. pygmalion

Yeah. I read all that stuff when DS was tiny. Apparently, I forgot the details.

When DS had honey for the first time, he was already in elementary school. I'm a little ... cautious. :oops: :lol:

14. DL

DL Well-Known Member

For example, swimming is not weight-bearing exercise.

15. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Yep. Weight-bearing is running, walking, jumping, etc.

Non-weight-bearing is bicycling, elliptical, etc.

16. Smooth Dancer

Smooth Dancer Active Member

Re: Exercising

Not sure if this belongs here, but since the point was raised above, here's my take on exercising:

My wife and I are in our sixties and quite fit and trim. Exercise has been a priority most of my adult life. My exercise calendar that I've kept for over a decade is quite full.

I believe you need a variety of exerise activities, a balance from the three major categories: cardio, weight-bearing, and stretching.

For weight-bearing I do either free weights, or the "cable/cam (CC)" machines in our exercise club. I do this a couple times a week. I hit it hard with fairly heavy loads and 1.5 hr sessions. A given free weight exercise tends to bring more into play, but I find they can put a lot of stress on my back, and while I do back exerercises I am also quite protective of it. The CC machines tend to protect the back because you're usually sitting with your back supported. Overall I prefer CC, but do both. I have complete routines that hit all the major muscles. For weight-bearing, I do the "common" exercises -- nothing exotic.

For cardio I prefer a blend of machines: elliptical, rowing, and recumbrant bicycle, in that order. I don't do mega-sessions any more, only about 20-25 minutes several times a week, but I get my heart rate to 80%-90% of its max for most of the session. (See "runnning" below.)

For stretching, I just do "common stretches" and especially those that particularly apply to dancing. Tried yoga, and it was okay, but not really my cup of tea. Never tried Pilates, although it sounds great. When I do weights and cardio, I make sure I get "full extension" in both directions because I feel it stretches the muscles.

A few random thoughts, purely IMHO:

WORK THE CORE: Your core is the bedrock of a fit body. My routines have always had a heavy does of core exercises: front (upper and lower), side, back, and a tough twisting exercise. If I cut something, it's never core. (Side comment: I hate crunches and think they're a bad exercise!)

DON'T WATCH TV: I really pay attention to what my body is doing at each moment. Thoughtless, half-hearted exercising is not good. Music is okay, as long as it doesn't distract me.

INTERNET PROGRAMS: Putting yourself on some Internet exercise routine is chancy. I suppose there's a lot of good and bad out there. But the thing is...you need to pay attention to what your body is telling you. Knew a guy who blew his knees doing an Internet marathon-training regime that his body should have told him was way too much.

REST: Exercise tears down muscle. The body responds by rushing nutrients to repair this damage, but in its infinite wisdom rushes in more than minimally necessary, hence will build up more than was damaged -- a net gain. If you don't rest in between (day or two) the body cannot fully repair -- no net gain.

RUNNING: Used to run a lot, but not anymore. I feel it's just a little too touch wear-tear on my body. It would probably be okay to run a modest amount (maybe a mile) once or twice a week, but I've just gotten out of the habit.

POSTURE WALKS: For dancing, my wife and I often to "posture walks" where we walk briskly several miles, usually across campus (more interesting, and a Starbucks!) where we concentrate on maintaining extreme posture at each step. Would sound really weird to anyone but a dancer!

BUYING MACHINES: If you by cardio machines, buy only quality ones. It's hard enough to use them, and extremely so if they're cheap!

WEIGHT LOSS: Although exercise is a key component, diet is much more effective. From my experience: if you count calories (keeping to a carefully calculated limit, of course) you will lose weight, guaranteed. If you don't count, you will probably not lose. I count and log calories every day.

DANCING AS EXERCISE: Vigorous social dancing every dance for 2+ hours in a weekend night is a boatload of exercise, but I do not count it as "exercise" in the sense of the above.

----
    I have found that some people like to exercise, others don't. The former do, the latter don't. Going from the latter group to the former is not easy and I have no particular advice. I can't even say I feel better than if I were a couch potato -- my body aches a LOT in the morning. But overall I'm firmly in the former camp. I really enjoy a good workout in the gym!

17. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I love the idea of posture walks. I do that several times a day now... spend some time (outside of the studio) doing whatever it is with extremely proper posture...

18. pygmalion

Awesome post, Smooth Dancer! Thanks. :-D

RE: Calories -- I am not big on counting calories, BUT I really think you're onto something with your food log. I learned this trick when I did Weight Watchers years ago. If I have the discipline to write down every single thing I eat and drink, I tend to stay on track for weight loss a lot better.

19. pygmalion

Yay! Somebody took the time to respond to everything in my initial post! :bouncy: DF people rock!

20. pygmalion

Curious about why the garlic claims are "nonsense." I've heard that it's supposed to lower blood pressure, over time, and I know people who swear by it.

The only controversial stuff I've heard about is 1)whether supplements work as well as real garlic and 2) whether "odorless" garlic really is and 3) whether "odorless" garlic supplements are as effective as regular garlic supplements are.