Holistic Health Thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, May 18, 2012.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

lol! Darn it! :wink:

Just a little personal anecdote. A couple years back, I went on Weight Watchers for about six months. I really watched what I ate, and combined WW with a high percentage of raw foods, lots of green smoothies, etc. It was as much a cleanse as a diet.

When I'd lost some number of pounds that I have forgotten, I decided to "reward" myself with a Big Mac, fries and a Diet Coke. OMG. The last swallow was barely in my gullet before I was SICK, I mean sick. Sick enough to drive around from pharmacy to pharmacy, begging for ipecac syrup (which isn't sold OTC anymore, in case you're wondering.) I was desperate to get that junk out of my system, even if it meant inducing vomiting, Seriously. Blech!

There's a story in the book 21 Pounds in 21 Days ** about a woman who went on a cleanse (I can't remember how long,) and died from eating pizza immediately after her cleanse was over. The book strongly recommends gently easing out of a cleanse and reintroducing solid foods, meats, etc, very slowly. The book states that food can be full of toxins.

That story may be a tall tale, but after my experience with McDonald's that day, it seems plausible to me. I have never been so sick in my life, even though the food wasn't spoiled. My body was just clean, so it rejected "dirty" food.

Made me think ...

** which outlines a three week cleanse that's mostly a raw and/or liquid diet, combined with colonic irrigation, herbal cleanse "aids" etc.
  2. pygmalion

Speaking of which, has anyone here (besides me) ever tried a cleanse?

I highly recommend, with some disclaimers. Not all cleanses are created equal. I think some are very, very bad. For example, the famous cleanse Beyonce went on (I'd have to google to find the name of it.) Basically, she lived on water, maple syrup and pepper? (I think) for weeks, so she could lose enough weight to star in Dreamgirls. Uhhh ... really? That's insane, IMV. ETA: It's called the Master Cleanse

The cleanses I've done have sort of synthesized the elements of cleanses I've read about (like the 21-day one I mentioned above) without my having to spend hundreds of bucks to buy the proprietary formula stuff. It took more research that way, but cost a lot less.
  3. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I have done master cleanse once or twice a year over the past ... dunno... 8-9 years. The point behind it is your body never has enough time to digest and REST if you are eating all day, everyday, several times a day. And what is worse, even if you digest your body doesn't have time to CLEANSE itself from the toxins that come from food, and are created as waste, if it is so busy just trying to keep up with digesting. Therefore it is essential to fast every day.

When you stop the fasting it is called..... dun Dun DUUUN! BREAKFAST. But no one actually stops eating the day before long enough to have a fast. W just eat and eat and eat. Even if only a little our body is constantly trying to catch up. So you not only never finish your digestion, but you are pushing toxic waste thorugh your system because you never get truly past the digestion phase. And then the colon is overloaded with toxic sludge. That is now why we have to do cleanses...

The fact that you drop a lot of weight is a nice side effect but was never the original intent.
  4. pygmalion

That's the idea behind the 21 day fast. It's basically a liquid veggie diet. The lady who wrote the book (and who, btw, did not invent the cleanse, but made lots of money from it) said that eating food that requires chewing is work that your digestive system doesn't need.

As far as the Master Cleanse, I'm on board, if it's for a few days. For weeks on end? Not so much.
  5. pygmalion

Oh my goodness. Yes!

And then there's the spiritual aspect ...
  6. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I've been trying Intermittent Fasting over the last week or so...depending on which "program" you follow, there's a different length fast each day.

At the moment, I'm doing a 10pm-2pm fast. So, a 16 hour fast. It works for me, because I go to bed just after 10, and I usually don't wake up again until 11am-noon (depending on Uni, work, etc.). I eat normally in the 8-hour window, and limit calorie intake in the fast period. Coffee is ok. Water is better.

It's been working really well...I haven't lost weight because I haven't been sticking to it very well, but my body's been feeling fantastic.
  7. pygmalion

Intermittent Fasting programs? I assume that's different from just choosing not to eat? Must :google: :cool:

Also want to point out how many religious figures, movements, etc, are associated with fasts -- Jesus and Buddha are two examples that pop into my mind. This goes back to what fasc said about prayer (yesterday?) It can have a religious or non-religious overtone. Same thing with fasting. It can be about losing weight, or it can be about leaving the worldly behind while seeking spiritual clarity (or other things.) Very cool. :-D

Tapping into the spiritual aspects of diet is something that I've only toyed with and/or stumbled upon by accident. It gets more and more intriguing to me, the older I get, though. Must ponder, one of these days ...
  8. Larinda McRaven

Fasting should be done daily.
  9. pygmalion

From what I googled on Intermittent Fasting, it's designed around a 24-hour schedule. 19/5 and 20/4 are the two programs I saw. 19 hours fasting, 5 hours eating. 20 hours fasting, 4 hours eating.

Must read more about this. :cool:
  10. Lioness

I am/was doing 16/8, because that's what they recommend to start with. I'm considering increasing it to 19/5, because the other day I pretty much accidentally fasted for 19 hours, and it was quite easy.

Also looking to lose some weight...I might pop over to the Diet/Exercise thread for that, though.
  11. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I haven't really looked into this, but conventional wisdom I've heard for weight loss is to have small meals often, rather then large ones seldom. Is there a way to reconcile that with intermittent fasting?
  12. Lioness

Small meals often is meant to keep the metabolism active. IF gives your system the chance to completely clean out, and as long as you don't fast for more than about 24 hours, doesn't slow the metabolism down.

IF goes against a lot of the conventional wisdom I've heard, and I don't completely understand how it works, but I've seen it work for a lot of people.
  13. Larinda McRaven

The "wisdom" behind that is if you eat often you will not be so hungry that you gorge and binge.... and it is a way to keep the metabolism up. Regardless of whether you eat many small meals or 3 square meals... you still need a period of rest from eating so your body can catch up.
  14. New in NY

New in NY New Member

I don't know much about cleanses. How do they reconcile this idea with our need for fiber to keep the digestive system (and colon) healthy?
  15. pygmalion

Re: colon health, the guy who does my colonic irrigation (Yes. I have tried it.) recommends taking acidophilus, flaxseed oil, and fiber supplements daily. I find that this combination keeps things moving right along. :lol:

Has anybody tried Activia? (I think there's also another brand that's supposed to work the same.) I'm not a really big yogurt lover, but I've heard really good things about its ability to get digestion regulated, after a fairly short period of use.
  16. pygmalion

I'm not an authority on cleanses, so I won't recommend specific herbal remedies, but there is a ton of information out there.

That said, the cleanses I have done rely on using herbs to draw toxins out of the body in a few different ways -- the primary way being to deposit them in the colon. That's why getting and keeping the colon clean is such an important part of the cleansing process. It kinda defeats the purpose of cleansing, if you draw out all the toxins and they sit in your colon so long that your body reabsorbs them. Most programs I have seen recommend, at a minimum, a fiber supplement to aid in the colon cleaning process.

I've also seen cleanses that use specialized enemas, to address specific health concerns.
  17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

re cleanses...there are different "tiers" or terrains to a cleanse: for example: the cellular terrain and the colonic terrain.

addressing a cleanse of the colonic terrain enables output from cellular cleansing to "have somewhere to go". it's like taking out the trash to avoid a backup of smelly garbage. best methods for colonic cleansing would be colonic hydrotherapy or coffee enemas.

lots of agents can help with cellular cleanses: fresh green juices, LGSs, lemon-cayenne drinks (like the master cleanse), bentonite clay, zeolites, nascent iodine, MMS, etc.
  18. pygmalion

Yup. The 21-Day program I mentioned above uses a combination of the two -- fiber supplements, along with a liquified veggie diet, a bunch of herbs to do things like liver and kidney cleanses. It also recommends colonic irrigation (that's what prompted me to try it.) And a bunch of other stuff that I've forgotten by now. :wink:
  19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

the best combo protocol i know of is the gerson therapy.
  20. pygmalion

:google: :car: :-D