Holistic Health Thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, May 18, 2012.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

One part of the 21-day cleanse that I didn't use (because I didn't have access at the time) was a sauna. IIRC, the rationale behind using a sauna is to allow toxins to escape your body through your open pores. Don't know how effective it is, because I've never used it in the context of a cleanse. Sounds like something cool to try, though. No time soon, though. I belong to two gyms and neither one has a sauna. *shrug*

I tried a different cleanse (can't remember the name of it) that used hydrotherapy -- in this case, taking showers that alternate between ice cold and steaming hot, with some self-applied massage. I can't remember what that was supposed to do for you (something to do with the lymphatic system, IIRC) but I'll tell you what. It felt freaking awesome. Shower then lie down and be still. Very ... tranquil. A great time to meditate. :)

2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i own a far infra-red sauna and love it. it is very different from a regular ambient-temperature sauna, which gets much hotter. the delicious heat feels like sunshine on the skin but penetrates deeply and really does work up a sweat without baking you, and always leaves me more relaxed and detoxed than any kind of physical exercise, including hot yoga.

on nights i take a far infra-red sauna, i sleep sooooooooooooo well.

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

(it also has a built-in CD-player with speakers inside the sauna so...well, nuff said. :) )

4. pygmalion

One cleanse I tried (I forget what this one was called, too -- Raw something or the other was the book that outlined it) focused on colon cleansing. It recommended periodic colonic irrigation, but also required that you buy a home enema kit (the old fashioned bag and tubing -- not the prepared saline solution in a bottle) and use it with distilled, clean water, NOT tap water.

The rationale was that, if you're like a lot of people and have a partially impacted bowel, a cleanse will start to dislodge old, hardened, junk that's encrusted on the walls of the colon. The author likened passing that old stuff to trying to pass a hockey puck, but also said that, when the opportunity arises, it's important to get that junk out of your system ASAP, lest it re-adhere to the colon walls. Hence the recommendation that you be ready, willing and able to do an enema, in case of trouble.

Without going into excessive detail, I will say that I think she had a point.

5. pygmalion

*jealous*

6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i would trade it for a hydrotherapy spa in a heart-beat...we all have our druthers. :)

7. pygmalion

Hey. Why not both? If you're going to wish, go for the brass ring. :wink:

8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

well, i am a fan of having my cake and eating it too... though, can't say that's made much of a difference, lolz.

9. pygmalion

Total change of subject.

Thanks, wooh. I talked to my Mom about this and she faithfully promised me she'd discuss it with her doctor. Thanks! A Black woman without collard greens is a very sad thing. Just sayin. :-D

10. pygmalion

Okay. So talk to me about sleep. I actually got some last night, for a change, and realized what I've been missing. I haven't slept well in years and years. I've read about all the detrimental effects of sleep deprivation, but always had to push through the exhaustion.

What experiences, if any, have you had around getting a good night's sleep.

11. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Dumbest, yet surprisingly revolutionary thing my friend told me (and that I found to be true): if I get enough sleep, I don't feel tired. I know. I don't need caffeine, I don't need a nap (provided I eat decently), I wake up easily. I feel *******ed.

Plenty of studies have been done suggesting links between lack of sleep and a whole host of health problems.

12. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Has anybody tried those things that sense your sleep cycles and wakes you at the best time close to your needed wake up time?

13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i know i've got a roughly 2-hour sleep cycle, and generally wake up in go-to mode as long as i honor that cycle. i function respectably on 2, 4, 6, or 8 hours. but if i set my alarm and wake up after 3, 5 or 7 hours...eesh. completely different experience.

don't know know how common this pattern is but, do those of you who struggle with restful sleep have a habit of waking yourself up after only an odd number of hours?

14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

and on the subject of sleep, i might as well bring up what is famous as a cause of poor sleep: parasites. and they're apparently pretty common.

takes us right back to "cleanse". :tongue:

15. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

very few issue with sleep here...sleep well most every night unless I am at a comp or going through some sort of major stressor

16. pygmalion

I deliberately did not mention parasite cleanses, because they gross cleanse newbies out even worse than poop talk. :lol:

Will ponder, though. :cool:

17. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I've read that 1.5 hours is the average sleep cycle. And seems to work for me. So the 6 or 7.5 hours is better than 8 hours.
    But with the trouble I have FALLING asleep, I've pondered getting one of those things so I don't have to do math once I'm finally falling asleep. :) But reviews are always so mixed.

18. samina

samina Well-Known Member

am curious who has TVs and other electronic equipment in the bedroom, and if that has any influence on people's sleep habits...

19. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I do not...if I have trouble falling asleep (which is rare) I do relaxation of each muscle group all the way from toes up to face one at a time, then practice slow breathing with a mantra...works beautifully...add a little bengay and one glass of wine and I'm golden

20. pygmalion

You mean like this iPhone app? I never heard of those until now.

[​IMG]

There's a watch, too. I think I'd like the watch better than tucking my iPhone into my bed.

[​IMG]