Holy cow. Three inch heels.

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by thespina13, Jun 3, 2007.

1. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

So today I wore the three inchers to rehearsal, since I'll be performing in them. I'm really quite amazed at how hard it is, after dancing in two inches almost exclusively. Geez, man. ow. And my balance is all wrong. I was fighting so much. It certainly made everything LOOK prettier. When I wasn't falling over.

I hope I can get used to these things in the next two weeks.
  2. SalsaManiac

SalsaManiac New Member

I love a woman in heels but if she's already taller than I am *without* heels then it becomes a bit of a problem :( I have noticed that the ladies steps tend to look prettier in high heels but for the life of me, I have no idea how you pull it off!

--T
  3. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

LoL they DO look prettier. Especially if you have gargantuan size 10 or 11 feet like me. If yu wear a flatter shoe, feet look like bit fat paddles. Thankfully my instructor made an execustive decision and switched my partner on me to a guy I practice with sometimes and his girlfriend/partner. She got my guys and I'm with her guy now, and he's taller than me!!! It's fantastic!

I just have to stay UP.
  4. I wonder how you can turn in 3 inch heels. My new dance shoes have a 2.56" heel (6.5 cm), the first time I have a heel that high. Normally - and most comfortably - I dance in 5 cm heels (2"). My new shoes are gorgeous and very, very comfortable despite the high heel. But the first night I wore them for salsa my turns were funny. I normally turn only on the ball of my foot. But with these high heels I sometimes fell back on the heel and turned partly (the first half of the turn) on the ball and then on the heel (and tumbled around a slightly little bit). My husband wondered what was wrong with me. I guess I have to get used to dance salsa in them.

I love my shoes and will have to get used to turn in them. It is the Werner Kern model Hanna 65. Since I cannot post commercial links here, no link. But you find it in the Werner Kern online store (wernerkern dot com) under ladies' 2.5 heels shoes.
  5. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

I can't even walk in three inch heels, much less dance in them!
  6. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Oooh. I wear 3" heels for Latin, and I must say that I adore them. It only took me a couple of weeks to adjust and then I wouldn't take them off. You're right, bigger feet are better off with higher heels. I felt more balanced from the start. I think it's because the higher heels force you to be on the balls of your feel more, which brings your centre to the right point.

T_E
  7. jenibelle

jenibelle New Member

i love my 3-inch heels too!!!

(it took me 6 months to be able to say that...)
  8. noobster

noobster New Member

My first heels were three-inchers (stupid, I know) and I *never* got comfortable in them. The heels constantly caught the floor (same problem as salsera_alemana) and I never managed to learn to prevent that, and couldn't spin really until I bought a pair of jazz flats.

Then I got a pair of 2.5" and they didn't take a bit of breaking in - loved 'em the first minute. I think my feet are just not built for me to keep my feet 3" off the ground. It's amazing what a difference half an inch makes.

thespina, I would be a little worried about giving yourself only two weeks to get accustomed to an extra inch of heel height. That is a pretty big change in not a lot of time. Will it be OK to perform in your 2" if you don't feel comfortable by the big day? I have seen lots of performances where the girls don't all have matching heels. It's more important to dance your best, don't you think?
  9. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

True! I am fine in 2.5 inch shoes, but my days of 3 inch heels are over.

Another issue with higher heels is knee problems. That extra half-inch puts a lot of weird pressure on my knees and it's just not worth it to me.
  10. SalsaTO

SalsaTO New Member

3" Heels

Welcome to the Stiletto Run Club!

Two weeks til showtime? Not much time... Start a struttin' now! In the house, at your desk in the office... Get used to that different centre of gravity and different way of walking. Practice your spins in the bathroom - use the mirror to spot. When you stop hitting the towel bar, your turns are working. Use your hallway or any hallway to practice travelling turns. wWhen you stop bouncing off the walls, those turns are working too. And it will get ugly before it gets better, so be patient.

Your feet and calves will take a beating so pamper them... stretch them and massage them.

Really Really Really come up on the balls of your feet, almost but not quite on your toes so you don't catch the heels on the floor. Work your turns and your walks from there.

You're in good company.

One salsa school in Toronto actually offered a four week "Stiletto Salsa" workshop... several times. It was that popular.

And of course, Glamor Magazine hosted a 70 meter Stiletto Run in Amsterdam with a Louis Vuitton store at the finish line. First prize was 10,000 euros. Saw a video... That Stiletto Stampede had to be seen to be believed -- and were they ever fast!

Good luck for your show with the heels!
  11. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

I woul dlikely try to get away with 2.5s, because i'm nearly six feet anyhow. When Jayson was tlaking to us he says he demands all his girls be in 3inchers and he can tell from a mile away... but when we were joking about being really tall, he told me "yeah, most people need the height. So 3 inches. Except for you, ofcourse", and he nodded my way. So I think it woul dbe ok if i went down a little bit. I'll see. I'll do practice walking in the 3inchers but if it doesn't work fast enough I'll do the 2.5s.

Yeah, I've noticed that I have to totally work like a DOG to stay balanced, because I'm using entirely new muscle groups and my center of gravity is so high!... so we'll see. I'll make the decision tomorrow i think after my practice.
  12. noobster

noobster New Member

:evil: Hmpf. I'm not a fan of that teacher of yours. But you knew that already. ;)

Higher heels do look nice, it's true. But smooth dancing is nicer. A good dancer in flats looks 1000x better than a girl who can't dance in her 4-inch stilettos.

Practice your spins for sure. I have no problem walking in 3" heels (I have plenty of street shoes that high) but spinning was the real bear for me. Good luck!
  13. starry

starry New Member

I love my three-inchers the best. I was probably dancing for three years until I could make a complete transition from my 2.5 inch louie heels to my "big girl" shoes. I have several pair of Internationals, which I find work the best for me in the "big girl" styles.

Now when I put the lower heels on I feel off and a bit clutzy! Once you get used to them, well, you probably won't want to go back to a shorter heel. I was worried at first performing in them and landing flips, but no problem there, thanks be. But I would really practice any stunts in them with spots available first. Good luck with the big girls!
  14. noobster

noobster New Member

Yeah, I have trouble dancing in flats now. The heels are easier to dance in (provided they are not too high) but they are definitely a crutch. Flats require ankle strength that I used to have when I danced in them all the time but that I've lost now since I usually dance in heels. :(

I guess the easiest shoe to dance in is just the one you're used to.
  15. jiayi

jiayi New Member

I found that I dance better in the 3-inchers than 2.5. It really keeps my center of balance forward and reminds me to not let my heel drop at the break steps so I dance less flat-footed. Strangely, I have a difficult time walking in my 3-inchers!
  16. squirrel

squirrel New Member

I have no idea what "3 inch" is in European measurement, and since it's 9:30 AM and I am still having my first coffee of the day, I am not in the mood to calculate.

My high heels have 7 cm heels. I would not dance in anything over that, since I am short (1.5 m) and would probably fall down if I did LOL.

Now, since I teach 4 days a week, have rehearsals also 4 days and social dance as well (not to mention standing up for 1 h on my way to the office every morning) I find it that my soles are kinda trying to rebel against me - at present, they are in the "the pain is what you get for torturing us" mood. :)

So, no matter how much I love high heels, I sometimes dance in my trainers. Low thick heel is the best when the sole hurts.
  17. noobster

noobster New Member

Well, it's 2:30 AM here and I just got in from dancing, too hyped up to go to bed so I will be happy to do your calculations for you. ;)

3 inches are about 7.6 cm.
  18. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

Well, I had a fair amount of success today in the heels, which is promising. About three steps into my fourth run of the routine however, my muscles just reached exhaustion and I couldn't dance anymore! I think the new muscle groups had just decided they had had enough. But. I figured out, through practicing my shines, that one problem I was having was simply getting used to the point of the heel being situated closer to the ball of the foot, so where i was used to a little bit of play, allowing myself to come down off the ball occasionally an not trip over anything, with these heels it was impossible, forcing me to stay right up high, or the heel would catch. As soon as I figured that out it was easier. And damn, does it EVER make a nicer line. Spinning also became easier because of how heels force your butt back. So. I don't think al hope is lost. I just have to get used to the PAIN now. But if I'm in the right mindset, even that could be fun, tee hee.

Oops. TMI.
  19. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

I'm jealous - I think 3" heels look sooooo nice.

But there's no way I can wear them. When you wear a size 2.5-3.5 (UK) shoe . . . 3" heels are just not going to happen without some kind of superhuman arch. Which I do not have. ;)
  20. noobster

noobster New Member

But small feet look nice by themselves, you lucky thing. They look nice in flats. High heels are just a cheat for those of us wearing boats on the ends of our legs. :p