Holy cow. Three inch heels.

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by thespina13, Jun 3, 2007.

1. bailarina

bailarina New Member

shoes

hey -- I agree that you should just try as much as possible to break them in.

I was told once that it actually helps to have a wide variety of heel heights to tone your legs.

I'm not so sure about doing a marathon in 3" heels, but, I do agree that if you use a variety it helps your feel/legs in general.

So I tend to switch between low, med, and high heels for dancing, partly to keep the shoes in rotation but partly because it just creates a balance between muscle memory and giving the leg/calve muscles a whole range of workout.
  2. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

Three inchers are starting to feel very natural now actually. Didn't take long. The parts of my body rebelling the most are the balls of my feet by my big toe, and my quads. But even my quads are fine now. Just took a couple of days for them to catch up.
  3. spectator

spectator Member

Sounds like you'll be ready for 4" in no time! good luck!
    PS dancing in high heels gives your legs a whole different work out-a very good effect i think. Good for your glutes.
  4. Andresito

Andresito Member

So you'll be dancing with those in no time :D

[​IMG]
  5. spectator

spectator Member

I think those are 'lying down shoes' ;)
  6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

7. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

8. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

hahaha !!!

i have 3,5" heel. it took me 3 weeks to get use to it, but now, i can tell that my feet and my legs look better. :))
  9. Me

Me New Member

LOL!!!

Several people commented on the shoes I was wearing this weekend. They kept saying, "Wow, your heels are so high! How do you dance in them?" And I was thinking, "But, these are only 3 1/2 inches high..."

Somebody took this picture and you can't see my face, but you can see the shoes! (Tango is all about the shoes.)

[​IMG]
  10. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

3" inches not for me for sure, I'll be too tall in relavent to my partner + all the connections and balance would be wrong. Maximum for me 2.5".
  11. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

Yup! 3 1/2 inch heels are about normal wear for women who dance AT
  12. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Yup. My 3.5" ones are my "low heels."

Actually, I find that for shoes in general, 3.5" feels the best for me. (Assuming the heel is placed well, but that's independent of the height for the most part.) My street shoes are 3.5", stilettos, same as my low CiF's...I love them. I swear it's the perfect height for me. Everything is just so...comfortable!...at that height.

I hate flats or kitten heels. I find them uncomfortable, and it exacerbates my tendency to roll my foot and walk more on the outside edge which hurts after a while. And I think I've got to be one of the few people who really have a hard time walking in flip-flops.
  13. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

nice shoes. ;)

i like high heel. even my "regular" shoes are with high heels (4 or 5 ")
  14. MacMoto

MacMoto New Member

I hear you, but you'll get used to it. I've danced in 2 1/2" heels all my salsa life until this month, when I came back from the LA congress with a pair of 3" heels (hard to say no to a gorgeous black'n'gold $50 pair y'know). When I debuted them at my local club, I was all over the place. Simple prepped double turns were a mess as I kept scraping the floor with my heels. The following week I took those shoes to my 2-hour lesson then went to the club afterwards. I was fine. It's surprising how quickly you get used to the 1/2" difference.
  15. salsamad

salsamad New Member

Wow I am in admiration of you guys as 2.5 inch seems to be my limit of balance. Other thing I wonder about going higher is that at only 5' 7 there are plenty of guys who say I am tall and hit me on the head as it is lol.
  16. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

3" is perfect for me. Anything less feels wrong. I'm actually thinking of going up a half inch.
  17. dancinrina

dancinrina New Member

I'm so happy I'm not alone! I thought I was a total freak when I tried on a pair of 2.5 latin shoes and felt extremely off balance. I can't wear anything lower than 3". If I do, the pitch of my body is completely off and I start flopping around like an idiot. It also works for me - being 5'3", 3" heels make me just about average height. Anything much higher than 4" I have trouble with though because I wear a size 35-36 shoe and my foot just doesn't like to arch that much. 3.5" seems to work great but puts too much weight on my toes as of today. Maybe if I lose like 10 lbs, I'll switch back to the 3.5"s. lol
  18. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

I think that's my biggest problem. I'm right around 6' high and wearing those 3"ers makes me waaaayyyyy tall, raises my center of gravity and also challenges the arch of right foot. There's a lot of weight on the balls of my feet, too. I do like how I can spin in them, but after a dance or two I get a massive cramp in my feet. Still searching for shoes I can dance in. I'm woefully poorly-shoed.
  19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

the higher the heel, the more it pitches your body forward. which seems to me why it's a natural for AT. but for latin, it's tough because of the need to have one's weight over the heel while leading with the chest & leg. i'm so not used to my 3" heels as yet.

plus, am not expert, but it appears to me that the deep hip-opening of latin doesn't occur in AT. the higher heels limit this range of movement, making it more challenging for latin.

i'm toying with the idea of practicing in my 3" heels but getting 2-1/2" heels for competition...

my pro was recently saying that most pros used to compete in 3-inchers, but then they generally down-shifted half and inch.
  20. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

Very astute. That seems to be the case. Molina liked the heels for the leg line, which I have to agree, is better with higher heels. But I still haven't found a way to dance without being in incredible pain in those. Perhaps the heel is in the wrong place... and yeah. I do know that a lot of girls were in 2.5". No one noticed.

My kids are being bad. Excuse me.