Hot-fix stones vs glue

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by chica latina, Nov 30, 2006.

1. chica latina

chica latina New Member

Has anyone had bad experiences using the hot-fix flatback Swarovski stones for costumes. I'm about to learn how to stone my partner's shirt and I found that Ebay (or if someone has a cheaper source, PM me please) only has the stones I need with Hot-fixed style.... which I have never use.

What will be a good size SS16? 20?
    Thanks

2. Me

Me New Member

I have never used hot fix. I hear they are easier to use, but I always use stones and glue.

16ss are cheaper than 20ss, but they're smaller and take longer to apply. However, I mostly use 16ss... or a mixture of 16ss and 20ss. It really depends on what you're doing for your partner's shirt. My opinion would be, use the smaller stones. You are trimming the collar in stones? Cuffs? Be warned - it takes more stones than you might think!

Some people on e-bay rip you off. One of the best deals I've found from somebody who is not a direct wholesaler is www.rhinestoneshop.com - free shipping, and he ships FAST. I am currently in contact with a rhinestone wholesaler, but they will NOT return any of my communications. So, I think I'm going to find another. (Anybody else have any suggestions?)

3. contracheck

contracheck New Member

I have had an aweful experience with an eBay dealer located in AZ. This unscroupilous shop played all kind of gimmicks to rip me off. I find that Match Feather in New York City (212-704-0111) sells stones at reasonable prices accompanied by excellent customer services.

4. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

You can glue hot-fix stones.

5. Laura

Laura New Member

It's one of those "personal taste" questions. I know people who adore hot fix. I've used them a few times, and personally I can't stand them.

6. chica latina

chica latina New Member

Thanks for the comments. I want to stone his all shirt (all the fabric in it). His shirt is black, what do you guys/gals recommend Jet, Jet AB or amethyst?

7. Laura

Laura New Member

To me, Jet looks flat. Jet AB is gorgeous, but it will throw purple, green, blue, and turquoise light. Amethyst could work, I've also liked Montana (navy blue) on black for a subtle effect.

If you want black-on-black and you want a little subtle shine to it that isn't as flat as Jet but still looks black, I recommend Jet Hematite.

8. danceislove

danceislove New Member

I have a great source for rhinestones. He is local, but I've never met him he just ships them to me (we live 50 miles away). Anyway, super fast shipping and great prices. He also sells on ebay, but his prices are better if you buy from him directly. For example he charges $56.30 for 10 gross colored flatback. His email is kayemunro@comcast.net his seller id on ebay is Whitestones Rhinestones. If you email him, he'll send you a full price sheet. He sells by 1 gross and up to 10 gross. Anyway, that's my current source :)

9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

why not, laura... details pleez! :)

10. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I bought for him before as well. I highly recommend. (Whitestones Rhinestones)

11. Laura

Laura New Member

They slow me down. I can stone faster using Gem-tac and a chopstick with beeswax on the end. With the hot fix, I have to use a special tool, make sure it's hot enough, pick up the stone, watch the glue to see if it's going to melt, stick it to the dress, pull the tool away, deal with stringy bits of glue, worry that I might make a mistake and melt through the dress....

But like I said, other people love it. I'm just not one of them.

12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

thanks -- that's helpful.

13. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Hi Samina, my sister rhinestones my dresses and she only uses hot fix. I guess it depends what you're used to using, she is quite fast with hot fix (faster than she is with glue).

I order my hot fix rhinestones from kgottfriedinc.com, I have had good experiences with them - good prices and they ship very quickly.

14. Me

Me New Member

"I order my hot fix rhinestones from kgottfriedinc.com, I have had good experiences with them - good prices and they ship very quickly."

These people will NOT return my e-mails at all. They give you good business? I'm really curious to know, as I really wanted to buy from them, BUT I was very turned off by repeatedly ignored e-mails and chose not to give them my business. I'm talking, e-mail after e-mail, and I would continue to forward my requests back to them (including the history of unreplied e-mails) and still heard nothing.

Do you just call them and place orders over the phone? Or, do you e-mail them? Or, is everything you need listed on their site for purchase? See, I needed prices for items that weren't listed on the site before placing an order, and e-mail after e-mail has been ignored.

I hate to 'bash' a business like that, but the e-mail history has been - November 13 (no reply); forwarded 11/13 e-mail with follow up on 11/15 (no reply); did the same thing again on 11/17 (no reply); then, forwarded everything to another e-mail on that site on 11/20 (no reply). At that point, I gave up, and ordered the stones (for considerably more) from another seller. I still have yet to hear from anybody at kgottfriedinc.com.

15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Danceshopper's prices are cheaper than that place, and they've always been fast for me. Also free shipping for $100+ orders.

16. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Hey Me...actually I order via internet, but have talked to someone on the phone once when I needed an update on an order (they do not send out email confirms for shipping if I remember right?). Have you tried calling during their business hours?

17. Me

Me New Member

Admittedly, no, I haven't called their number yet. I just hate making personal calls from my workplace, and I believe all of their business hours conflict with my job. But, I might do it on a lunch break or something.

It's good to know that they do in fact provide quality services. Knowing they ship quickly is really helpful, too. I'll give them another chance. I just was so completely turned off by the e-mail silence, I guess.

Thanks! ^_^

18. redhead

redhead New Member

didn't want to start another stoning thread lol...
    what do you think of CAB on hot pink / fuchsia dress?
    TIA

19. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

Another color that intriques me is Vitrail Light. It might depend on the shade of pink, whether the blue shade in VL would work.

20. redhead

redhead New Member

I'm asking because I have CAB left over from another project... but if people think it's a bad idea then I'll order something else... I like your idea though!