Hot-fix stones vs glue

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by chica latina, Nov 30, 2006.

1. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

I think CAB goes with just about anything aqnd I love the way it looks on the floor. But I kind of think that dresses in a strong color with just CAB on them look kind of unimaginative. Maybe mix the CAB with a pink stone?

2. fluffy

fluffy New Member

I think the depends on how it's done: I like the massed affect of LOADS of CAB, but if there aren't enough, it just doesn't have enough impact. For a bright colour you can get away with fewer stones, as long as the stoning design is good,

3. chocolatchica

chocolatchica New Member

Dont want to go off topic but I just had a quick question. Does a glue gun work to put rhinestones on shoes?

4. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

It will work, but rhinestone glue is much more flexible. The glue from a hot glue gun is very hard when it cools, and the rhinestone would be more likely to pop off under stress. Depends on where on the shoe you're putting the rhinestones.

5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

thanks for asking this question, chocolottachica... :D have been wondering if anyone has ever fully stoned up their dancing shoes. a little wizard of oz, perhaps, but wouldn't they be so pretty???

6. Dancebug

Dancebug Well-Known Member

I glue stones on my shoes with Gemtack. It works fine. I avoid gluing inside sides of the shoes, though. There are many steps you need to brush your feet together. I don't want to take any chance.

7. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Only on the outside sides of the shoe (if that makes visual sense). The inside sides of the shoes rub together, and rhinestones there would be constantly bashed and scraped off. I have, however, completely covered latin shoes in holographic glitter. That was fun :p

8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

that definitely makes sense

huh. is it powdery pourable craft glitter, or small pieces that you tediously glue on bit by bit? sounds very funky!

9. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

I coated the shoe in rhinestone glue (since I know it dries flexible), and poured on the glitter. I did it in sections since Gem-Tac starts to form a "skin" relatively quickly. I also made a pair of black latin sandals with gold glitter heels for a friend of mine.

Yes, it makes a mess. I believe there was a thread here some time ago about how rhinestones grow in your carpet. You can never, ever find them all.

10. Laura

Laura New Member

I have heard the advice that unless one's feet and footwork are perfect, it's not a good idea to draw that kind of attention to them on the competition floor.

11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

ahh... yes, that would make sense.

on the other hand, if that's one's forte, what a great technique to show it off

(let me clarify... am so not there! LOL)

12. clearlycrystals

clearlycrystals New Member

Swarovski Rhinestones

Hi there,

I thought it was interesting to see a question about Swarovski rhinestones...hot fix versus regular foiled flatbacks..

We are a direct dealer of Swaroski crystals (we make Swarovski crystal rhinestone kits) and can get you the best prices in bulk packaging. We match and beat anybody prices as long as it's valid online or through an ad.

For example:
    our 20ss Swarovski crystal packs are 58.99 for 10 gross or 1440 crystals

20ss Swarovski crystal color packs ( ie amethyst, topaz, etc) are 73.99 for a 10 gross pack

20ss Swarovski crystal ab is 82.99 per pack of 10 gross

All packs are sealed by the manufacturer, shipped to us directly from Swarovski and guaranteed by us!

Our call tag is "clearlycrystals" on ebay, you can look for us through the community section.... almost 400 unique comments 100 percent positive feedback.

Prices on ebay does not reflect our direct pricing since ebay fees are so expensive, plus we do sell our packs even cheaper for mass quantities (10 packs or so)

Our usual stock is the 9ss to 16ss range, or 1.7-3.8/4mm sizes, but we are expanding out this year to include the larger sizes. Special orders are welcome if you know in advanced, we will order the packs and get them for you.

We are located in California and will ship it to you via USPS Priority Mail or unless otherwise specified.

Feel free to send us a message here if you have any questions!
    Best to you all on the new year.
    Danny...clearlycrystals

13. stephanie_b

stephanie_b New Member

about the difference between hotfix and glue, with hotfix, you can put them much faster than with glue, but you need to be very careful to not destroy the dress, and also, hotfix ones could drop more easily than with glue...

14. DancingJools

DancingJools Member

My experience is quite the opposite. Using glue, usually gem-tac, I can stone about 5 gross (720 stones) in under an hour, as long as there are no complicated patterns involved. There is no way hotfix stones can match that, because there is a certain amount of time needed for the tool to heat up each time it picks up a stone. I'd go out of my mind if I were using hotfix. I saw a person once using it, and to me it felt the whole process was slow as molasses.

15. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Discovered something quite by accident a few days ago. Was ironing a chiffon skirt on a ballroom gown, and suddenly noticed spots of sticky goo forming on the skirt, iron, and ironing board. The skirt is stoned. I'm assuming that the stones were hot-fix and the ironing re-melted the glue :(. What a mess. I've ironed other stoned skirts with no problem so I was not expecting this at ALL. Even trying to carefully iron around the stones still created too much heat. Crap.

16. stephanie_b

stephanie_b New Member

quite strange...
    It's my teacher tell me that, that she can use hotfix to put one hundred in less than 5 minutes (for a simple pattern)... I will ask her how she does that

17. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Try a press cloth?

18. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Thanks, I will. I still think the glue will be loosened, though, and this will be a delicate operation. What a PITA :mad:.

19. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

Hi Danny,

If you sell the stones, then you must be able to answer some of the questions in this thread: hot fix vs. glue.

So, whattaya know about it?

Thanks.

20. clearlycrystals

clearlycrystals New Member

Swarovski hot fix and regular

Hello,

As most of you know and mentioned before, it really is a matter of preference on how you would like to apply the crystals onto your dress... what is easier to use, what you have in your armentarium upon applying the crystals, etc.....

Both have it's pros and cons, but what they do have in common are the radiance and sparkle of Swarovski crystals. Unfortunately they also may fall off the item of clothing or personal item which can be due to many reasons.

First,
    Regular Swarovski 2028 Xilion Rose Flatback rhinestones ....
    these are the plain rhinestones with the foil back and you need to place glue/adhesive to them.

Everyone has they're opinion on which glue is good to use, I've personally tried gem-tac by beacon adhesives and E6000 by ecclectic products. Some mention using alaens stretch adhesive as well. It really is all preference, they will all adhere to the fabric.

fwiw
    e6000 is a jewelry glue, has a really stink smell ...lol please use it in a well ventilated area... and also has a known carcinogenic as stated on the label in fine print (i need to disclose that since we're from the state of california). Please use latex gloves when using the adhesive. Unfortunately, we had one client who was upset that we didn't mention the carcinogen prior to shipping it to her). It bond's clear, really tacky to use with a short setting time. In my hands... it's a little tougher to work with

gem tac is another glue which we have used as well. It smells like elmer's, looks like elmers, even feel like elmers :) but dries nice and clear. They actually have an assortment of ...-tac glues at beaconadhesives.com like gem-tac such as fabric-tac. Setting time is a little longer than e6000. We actually use this to "bling" phones and lighters and what we put in out crystal "bling" kits. Also, gem-tac came out with a package that has a special elongated tip specifically for rhinestones embellishing. It costs more than the regular gem-tac, but it's easier to use for applications.

alaen's stretch glue...unfortunately I don't know too much about that.

sorry about the diversion, with regular flatbacks you have to worry about the two spots where the crystal may come off of your dress. The first is the rhinestone is bonded onto a mirror backing so the bond there may come off (seen that and what it would look like is a gray circle which is the backing still stuck onto the spot). The second place where the crystals may come off is from the mirror backing and the adhesive you use to the dress. Well one, it could be how much glue is applied to the stone and onto your dress. Or it could also be how much wear/tear/washing/dry cleaning is done as the glue over time will eventually break down.... unfortunately nothing ever is permanent but can be close!

2028 Swarovski Xilion Rose Hot-fix flatback rhinestones
    These are the ones with the glue and can be applied using a heat press, bejeweler, or ironed on without the steam. The glue on the back is a green/gray color which melts when heat is applied. It's a quick, easy, and clean way of applying crystals ... especially low numbers for smaller designs. I honestly don't know how you all can apply so many crystals to a dress... i get tired placing 1000-1500 of the smaller crystals on a phone! whew!

You need to be carfeul to make sure that your fabric cannot easily be damaged by heat.

You really have to be careful cleaning your item of clothings as I said before the crystals may still come out even after you had heat-fixed them in.

It is recommended to wash them (if your clothes are machine washable) inside out. Dry on low heat as well as avoid using an iron on jeweled areas as it may cause the glue to reactivate and thus have the rhinestones move or fall off. If you're clothes are dry clean only, keep in mind there is always a possiblity that the materials (fluids) used to clean the clothes may yellow, brittle or dissolve, especially non swarovski hot fix crystals....

Crystal sizes:
    9ss=2.6mm
    10ss=2.8mm
    12ss=3.0mm
    16ss=4.0mm
    20ss=4.7mm
    30ss=6.4mm
    40ss=8.6mm
    48ss=11mm

The larger the crystals, the easier to place and the least amount of crystals needs to be placed. Of course, the smaller crystals give you a much more sparkling and radiant look. It's really up to you. For our clients, since our kits are mostly for pda's, cell phones, etc. we use the smaller crystals from 5ss size to 16ss. The best look on a phone are 9ss crystals or 12ss. For articles of clothing, we sell mostly 10ss hot fix ... but on your board, since you need to apply alot of crystals 16ss and 20ss would be more common....

Feel free to pm us if you have any questions...sorry about the length of the response.....

Have a great day! :)
    Danny...clearlycrystals

ps... we are offering to send a free sample of gem-tac (not with the elongated tip) 0.25 ounce pillow packages .... just pm us to try it out.