how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

She's back! How was the cruise?
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

fab...just excellent.....the internet on board was horrible...missed you guys...alot
  3. fascination

drove thrugh bama on the way down btw, cuz dh though the kids should see it...they ...uh...didn't appreciate the detour...I did...yummy loaded bbq potato
  4. cornutt

Darn, you guys probably came down I-65, so you passed near our neck of the woods! I could have met you for lunch or something. Assuming it wasn't the middle of the night. :D
  5. fascination

broad daylight...but I have lost my way of contacting you....anyhoo...had a yummy lunch at some great folksy place...in spite of all of the whining from the rugrats...

BOT...I hope pro gets a good night's rest cuz I am chomping at the bit
  6. cornutt

We'll fix that! Check your PM's later. Off to my lesson!
  7. rjcbear

rjcbear New Member

Lord Girl,

You were like 6 miles from my house. I am with Cornutt we could of taken you to a good BBQ lunch place in the Madison, Huntsville area. Next time stop and say yellow there.
  8. elisedance

elisedance New Member

glad you had a great time - and maybe it was just as well the internet was bad, else you would have taken the DF office with you... :)
  9. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Had lesson yesterday evening, more international rumba...worked a lot on the three three's figure ..made some adjustments with timing and footwork...could have been trying way too hard...think there might be hope with patience and practice...also worked on bolero...have another lesson scheduled this evening
  10. rjcbear

rjcbear New Member

Well last night practice went any where really really fast. We were practicing for competition and all rhythm just stink big time.

I think it was a combination of me over-thinking what step is next in the routine and all the dances just getting all jumble up in my head. If could just dance without over-thinking every thing I think I will do a decent job. grrrrr :headwall: :headwall:

Out of my system now today is a new day.
  11. elisedance

elisedance New Member

ricky - I've been there so many times. Maybe your head clears during a competitin but mine only gets worse! what worked for me last time was to go out and say to mypartner 'lets have fun' and then do just that. I think you have to make it NOT about competing at all but just about dancing. The points will fall where they may either way...
  12. rjcbear

rjcbear New Member

ED,
    I sure hope so for some reason this time around is been so hard and frustrating. I will just go and have fun tonight.

Thanks for the suggestion I will give it a try tonight. Maybe I just need to leave my brains at home and not bring it to the studio.
  13. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

Worked on Smooth Waltz comp routine for a bit. Then, started Smooth Foxtrot and Tango comp routines. Got half done for each. Now, if only I could remember them... :wink:
  14. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

Went over the weight of hips and worked on back movement. So much opposition!
  15. elisedance

elisedance New Member

The thing is that anything that does not come inately will not work and what you do by thinking is give up the most important things - and that is spontaneity and enjoyment. Put yourself in the judges position - what do they want to see more? A stressed out person trying to put themselves in a contorted so called ideal frame (or such) or a relaxed person dancing as if they love it and while making a few mistakes? If I was a judge.....
  16. rjcbear

rjcbear New Member

Well the analyzing and trying to think what comes next did it, and by the zodiac thread Aquarius are thinkers. I need to change my zodiac sign. :D
  17. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Ha! So am I and I have the same issues :eek:

Of course this zodiac stuff is gibberish. There again,what would any aquarian say...
  18. fascination

ahhh....sigh...rhythm day...not bad for almost three weeks off
  19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

More of same... Presenting leg in rumba & and lots of backward walks. Then more foxtrot and review of new silver figures for comp in a couple weeks. Haven't gone over silver routines for the other dances yet but... Well, whatever. I'm game.
  20. jwlinson

jwlinson Member

My first few showcases I would practice, practice, and sweat it; always ended up being way too tight/stressed/stiff. Then we started doing actual showdances at places other than our studio, in front of all sorts of people. After a while I thought "hey, you know the freaking routine, just go out and DANCE it!"

Since then every showdance I've done has been easier than the last. I'm much more calm, and am able to focus on the technique rather than "did I do that step in the right order?" I don't think about all those eyes on me, just about dancing. If we miss a step in the routine, so what. On-the-fly changes are easy enough :D

Just go out there and have fun with it. You'll do fine!

Tonight we spent half the lesson working on Int. Rumba syllabus figures and getting them spot-on, then the other half on standard. Coaches wanted to polish up our frame a bit.