how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

ROTFL...perhaps we need to do a switcheroo for a bit. *grin*
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

do you want my heart to respond or my head?????
  3. elisedance

elisedance New Member

[don't you mean vertebratim :p]
  4. elisedance

elisedance New Member

well, it may look like I'm trying to dance from my liver - on account of all the christmas cheer that is.. :) Any other organs invovled here?
  5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

fingers-middle back-toes-fingers-middle back-toes... feel... relax... breathe... enjoy... expand... repeat til death or the rapture
  6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

actually, that's my mantra, so it's goin' in my sig...
  7. rjcbear

rjcbear New Member

Sam,

I hope that middle finger is pointing down... ;)

Wait a minute now nobody told me we suppose to breathe!
  8. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I danced with my teeth in a comp a couple of months ago. I know this because I broke a cap. :rolleyes:
  9. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Really? I can't count the number of times I've specifically told to breathe. Apparently, I can dance decently without doing so!
  10. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

Yesterday I had a lesson in silver foxtrot- international *swoon* I was told to "paint" the floor with long strokes, which will help make the quicker steps quicker. Also working on better heel leads, really smoothed everything out overall.
  11. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

I remember having an international rumba class and was taught how to "breathe" through our body movement. Really made a difference. But yes, sometimes I'm concentrating so hard I do forget to breathe b/c I'm trying to hold my frame nice and stretched. Oops :p
  12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

all up, baby... :)
  13. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

A few days late, and posting from Mom's computer...I had a coaching lesson Tuesday night that was very helpful--she went into interpretation and facial expressions, which are not things I am very good at. And MUCH about the feet and proper use thereof. She looked at Rhumba and Bolero, and the Bolero was a lot easier with what she said. Followed that up with a Mambo group lessons, which was probably hampered a little by my brain still processing everything she said, but which still went well. Unfortunately followed ALL this up by slipping on the sidewalk on my way to the commuter rail and falling hard enough a guy halfway up the block was yelling "Are you all right?" I have a huge bruise on my thigh and I must have put down my left hand because my left shoulder hurts. Sitting on the plane the next morning wasn't helping, but at least I now have a week of near-total rest. No work, no dance :(, no skating, no reason to get up early. Nice change.
  14. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

standard...center and legs...connection...had alot of trouble focusing today...but he was happy...so I am going with it
  15. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I would say the first step (man's left and lady's right) is definitely in promenade and is usually relatively high. Then we lower. After lowering, we add the sway. How much the lady points her foot sideward is open to discussion, but actual position is surely promenade, right?
  16. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

It starts in promenade, yes, but I'm being taught that I need to close it up before the start of the sway. Otherwise, my follower doesn't pick up that she needs to stop moving forwards.
  17. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Interesting, so if I have this right, you are saying you step on your left foot in Promenade, and then you turn your left foot before adding sway. I could see doing this in American style, to allow the man's posterior to go back even more, resulting in a very deep oversway. At least the way I understand it now, I don't think I would do that in standard. But let me qualify by saying I am open to criticism of my view. :)
  18. Nik

Nik Member

I feel like I'm going backwards and working on things that I learned about a long time ago but still not doinig them.... like connection, breathing, weight transfer.
  19. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Massive CBM. Wheeee! :p
  20. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

So glad I'm not alone. Very frustrating and somewhat demoralizing. But, I suppose it's one step forward and two steps back sometimes.