how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Due to various scheduling difficulties, I am taking an enforced break from lessons with pro until 5/25. However, I am planning on taking a few lessons from other pro in the interim. Lessons with other pro have been very helpful to date.

I participated in an in-studio event last Sunday. The feedback I received from other participants and spectators was very positive. Pro said he liked the smooth dances, and thought the performance aspect overall was best to date. The feedback was so good, it almost makes me want to enter a pro/am comp again - the key word being almost. I'm tabling my decision until regular lessons with pro resume. There's a lot I don't like about pro/am comps, and if I do one again, I want to be sure I'm doing it for me, not because other people think I should.

I'm looking forward to coaching lessons with smooth pro early next month.
  2. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Excited about lesson - not so much the actual lesson - last night - but seeing the tablet video of his newborn son who was born during Emerald Ball on Sunday. and him - after going 48 hours with no sleep at all - for obvious reasons. Adordable!
  3. Ladybird

Ladybird Member

Great new cha routine for Blackpool qualifiers using paso chasse cape - ooh! The achievement was just in remembering it. Then went over advanced jive and rumba. Had little swishy skirt and petticoat on which looked fab in jive and syncopated bits of rumba and cha especially - hmm new costuming idea...
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

tues...mostly notes for myself in order to remember what to practice..so forgive me if it doesn't make sense to most folks

ru; more on arms that make sense, spirals and all the issues that go along with thatincluding the step in cbmp before it, careful to keep foot on the ground moving backward...samba; on in place moves stayn forward, watch back heel, take hip back even farther...continue to step to side on voltas...

more ft...(note to self you did no open smooth, so practice it)as to Ft; in stndard work foot rise, in silver smooth, growing through movement, end lines and develope...tango; softer knees and heel leads
  5. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

Lessons with new pro continuing. Focusing on developing softness with new pro and old pro in waltz, bolero, rumba, ft... I am strong like bull, not so much with the finesse and softness. Suggestions from pros not making much inroads...yet.
  6. Ladybird

Ladybird Member

New cha = vg. Advanced rumba = vg. New basic waltz = aaaaaaaaaaaargh! Why? Why am i finding it so hard? Why do the names of the steps or the concept of following one's leader mean nothing today?
  7. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

vwaltz is done mostly, although its supposed to be four walls it only comes to 3, we must be doing something wrong or it needs to go back to the drawing board. either way, we will do something with it. tango is mostly done. I think at this point we just really need to loop it and it will be done. had a lesson yesterday to work on tweaking some of the tango styling. that went really well and helped a lot. also were told that we should set a goal for competition. we will see.... next hopefully moving on to foxtrot to finally get that out of the way... not my fav am. dance..... sigh. my feet hurt just thinking about all of this.
  8. Ladybird

Ladybird Member

Lessons have been rubbish this week. My teacher and I are just not 'clicking' - I am learning new routines after my comp and nothing is going in and I am losing faith in myself. He has hayfever really badly. Want to get back to enjoying it. :(
  9. fascination

hang in there...for me at least, new choreo is always tough
  10. Ladybird

Ladybird Member

Thanks fasc - just feels like I've not had a break from prepping for comps. And my memory is what amazes people - it's like I've lost my mojo and everyone's disappointed because I can't do my usual trick of remembering a routine in 20min. And goodness knows I don't have any other tricks up my sleeve as a dancer! Feel like I haven't got much to offer.

Maybe I'll have a week's break. Or maybe I'll stop beating myself up because in three lessons I 'only' managed to learn a new cha, most of a new waltz and jive and some of a new tango. Sigh.
  11. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

*hug* Ladybird. A week or two break often helps me. I come back revitalized and ready to go.
  12. fascination

maybe, but I find that with new choreo it is more about just committing that it is going to be tedious for a few weeks until I understand it better...that is actually one of the few times that I wouldn't advocate a break...otherwise it will have to be re-learned all over again....now, when it is the usual frustration or a rough patch of any other kind, I am all for taking a break...but with new choreo, I find that just requires determination and patience for a few weeks...THEN, when you have the essentials in the hard drive, you can take some time to work on it alone...but if you do that too soon you will lose it and have to go through the whole miserable process all over again
  13. Ladybird

Ladybird Member

Thanks Pygmalion - doesn't help that I'm back to work tomorrow after a 5 month break. Can only manage 1 or 2 lessons a week from now on. :(

(Incidentally, I'm teaching 'Pygmalion' when I get back! :D )
  14. Ladybird

Ladybird Member

Yes fasc - maybe you're right. I remember feeling like this about a year ago when I had about 4 new routines to learn at once. And, hey, it got better. :)
  15. fascination

I always feel that I will never get it...sometimes have no clue what he is saying...usually he is looking at me like "I am trying to be patient with you but I can't believe you are making it this difficult, you do stuff harder than this all the time...and it's just like this other thing you do"....but you simply can't feel comfortable with it until you feel comfortable with it...and until then it just feels like a giant step backward for a while...but it isn't and you just have to remind yourself of that
  16. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Wise words Fasc. From the very first step we take in the dance studio to the most advanced dancers I see out there... it seems that everyone has their moments of self doubt and struggles. I think once we accept that... it makes the whole process easier.
  17. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

More wise words from fasc, from another thread.

18. fascination

well thanks guys...you either learn how to survive the process, or you quit, or you go bonkers...I flirt with the last two but I am married to the first :)
  19. Ladybird

Ladybird Member

*like* :D
  20. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Miss lessons with regular pro...11 more days to go...:(...lesson with other pro last Friday...styling tips and variations I hope to apply to west coast swing and east coast swing...