how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Ladybird

Ladybird Member

Have been coerced into a lesson this evening. My teacher swears he'll be nice...

2. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

hope it went well! Mine was a bit all over the place....Given the pressure I was under I did quite well...I took a very bad situation and turned it into a positive one. I could not dance at all with the teacher because I was being watched by the person that hates me. The more I tried the more I couldn't. So I said to myself, what the hell. I'm not going to dance anyway the way I want, I might as well go for the big one: so, there I was, trying to make eye contact and persisting on it. My dance was so different!My posture was different. And the feeling was nice!

3. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Have had a bit of a reprieve in getting anything new in lessons, thank goodness. I could use a bit of assimilation time.

4. Ladybird

Ladybird Member

Great sentiments Chomsky, and well done for turning a bad situation into something good - I find that almost impossible. Although I have become more defiant with regards to my own least favourite person at my studio - I really go for it, especially on the moves she can't do! :D If I didn't do that I'd cry so I forgive myself for being mean.

I had a 2 hour lesson today - or one with each of my teachers. Both were really good. Lots of fun. Got waltz choreo down and most of tango. Also did some quickstep which I've not done for ages, plus had great discussion about needing a triangular-shaped ambulance if I had a splits-related accident! :D

5. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Well-Known Member

Lessons have been intense lately, adding lots of new patterns. I'm enjoying the challenge!

6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

lessons have been very informative...it is such a pleasure to be able to continue to learn even after four years, 8 lessons a week, from the same person...I feel like the silver smooth and the silver and gold standard are improving...and, since those things should carry over, hopefully it will impact the open smooth...which I hope to find out about next week....pout....

7. chomsky

bravo f!

8. latingal

circling back to revisit correct alignment of the hip and leg and the timing of settling.... better understanding of the correct feel associated with the lower and upper half of the body.

9. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Strange lesson yesterday. I hadn't been feeling especially well much of last week, and hadn't gotten much floor time in. My instructor started with a waltz, and it elicited a "holy crap, where did *that* come from [in a good way]" from her. We speculated that taking a few consecutive days off had actually been a good thing for me.

But at the same time, we wound up ending the lesson early, with her offering to bank the last 15 minutes into our next lesson. I had crashed hard, and my energy levels had dropped to the point where things had become way less than productive. So I guess I was, in fact, still feeling whatever had knocked me out earlier in the week. It was sweet of her to be flexible with me about that.

10. latingal

further information and detail on subjects from coaching....good thing, I missed the boat on a couple of points!

11. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

lessons are getting amazing. love the tango love the vwaltz love the foxtrot. and those 3 are all done now!!!! just a waltz to go and then just working on perfecting everything. and then, coming out with a bang!!!! I am so super excited.and then we are taking lessons to work on technique and styling and that is just as awesome and amazing!!!! I'm so super excited. :)

12. frotes

frotes Member

Techniques are starting to become more natural and I can see/feel the improvement, so it is time to move on to working on more routines and steps. Got some rumba and waltz stuff to work on, can't wait to get cracking on those

13. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

Oh that reminds me!!! GETTING OUT FINAL CHOREO ON MONDAY!!! Finishing with a waltz. :) So excited to finally have choreo and just going to be focusing on making it better and making it all work. I just know that we are going to have some of the best routines ever and be able to do them really well soon. I'm so excited and so ready. Now if I could just be just as motivated to finish a few papers etc, then I could spend all day and night, eating breathing, and sleeping the routines and practicing all the time.

14. chomsky

now, this post is pure inspiration! Thanks, so lovely!:D

15. Ladybird

Ladybird Member

Sigh. Not danced for 2 weeks, was SO excited about starting again. Lesson was appalling. Remembered all the choreo but couldn't do very basic things such as, er, bend my legs or remember left and right. I think I was possibly worse than on my first ever lesson 18 months ago. I almost cried so my teacher stopped the lesson and sent me home. :(

No more lessons until Saturday now - assuming my teacher and I can both make time.

16. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Been there before - don't let it discourage you! It will get better. I've had many appalling lessons, and the one that follows is usually fabulous. There is something about those terrible lessons that is horrible at the time, but somehow pushes you forward and makes everything better from that point on.

Speaking of which, lessons this weekend were hit and miss. Productive all around, but had to work through some personal issues in the beginning before it stopped being a head-butting exercise and started being a functional partnership again. But we got there - eventually - and I walked away feeling like I'm about to break through to the next level, again!

17. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

let's see...rumba; technically not bad...sorely lacking any essence of the dance...not sure that is going to get better...cha; can you relax without having legs turn to mush?...samba; you can have hips and shoulders, or neither...take your pick...

part two; back to standard...wait for it....I was glad...insert shocked emoticon here...waltz=dare I say this? felt pretty good most of the time and I think I was only pulled once...briefly...FT; not hateful and awful, but not as good as waltz...tango; I am soaking wet and exhausted and don't even want to stand up straight...but a few genuinely yummy moments there...QS; we need to stop and deal with my complete memory loss of the timing and of the differing types of rise that produce it...I will not forget this

18. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Can't wait to meet you two on the floor. ;)

19. frotes

frotes Member

Chest up, stomach in, tighten core. Keep those shoulders still. Also work on making that right hip more flexible so that your motions are more fluid

20. latingal

my lesson yesterday, be prepared to prove you can do the impossible....