how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Lesson focused on really breaking down basic jive movement and timing.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

rumba and cha of various levels and styles, jive at various speeds, paso review of some things that seem to have gotten lost along the way with some other improvement happily integrated...tuesday is always rough because I come in hurting from Monday...

moved on to smooth FT, silver and open..then, IIRC, a thorough review of my entire QS routine making certain that I know all of the slows and quicks as well as the appropriate rise and fall and how to execute it...feel very good about finally having that in the hard drive....onto some standard gold...and some lead and follow...some things to feel good about ...some things, epic fail...in spite of myself, I am starting to enjoy standard as much as smooth...cannot beleive I really typed that...must be the exhaustion....I do marvel at my good fortune to get to dance with someone this talented
  3. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Lessons are getting intense... in a good way! Worked on all 5 dances today in silver and touched upon closed gold steps in chacha and rumba. It still amazes me that I still have to work on the basic principles over and over again. Love that my pro is so patient to just repeat and remind, and catches everything, doesn't let it slide, we repeat it until I get it right. He's terrific. A nice blend of structure and discipline with acknowledgment when I do succeed, and always pleasant even when I am being drilled! Love all my lessons!
  4. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

starting to ramp up for competitions....got my marching orders on what needs to be done, now feel ready to rev up the engine and start getting it done!
  5. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Nothing like coaching with a multi-time US and OSB Champion to prod you into action...so many basics to fix, so little time, but so much inspiration to get working!!
  6. latingal

I am very happy with the guidance I'm receiving in my lessons on preparing for upcoming comps, it seems to help set the correct mental state going in and preparing the body to be ready to perform. I have many hours of work to do to get ready, but I have a firm direction to proceed along!
  7. fascination

lessons; let's see, rumba is feeling better and looks good though a tad--meh...missing the feel...spent some some working leg action in cha...and then needed to review some technique slippage on my voltas...moved on to waltz which, felt okay as long as I managed to stay relaxed, in both waltz and tango, we spent some time making sure I was using my standing leg well and moving my body before my foot...two contrachecks in a row=yum

today was more rumba and then jive at lightspeed and then slow, and every speed in between, with work on the places where I need to make sure I don't over turn so that I don't lose speed...more cha, more of same technical issue...

moved on to FT, and by then I was fairly well smoked...needed to review timing, fluiditity, PP...also some waltz with similar issues
  8. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Not really focusing on one thing in particular, just the basics...also trying not to turn into pre comp psycho student...working so far...whatever I know or don't know isn't going to change much over the next couple of lessons...so just going with it...
  9. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Lesson in chacha focused on getting more on my foot for all turns, spirals and directional changes, ditto in rumba, rumba walk drills, samba worked on trying to improve samba walks, paso looks good ( to me anyway), jive still is a struggle. It just feels so fast to me, it is hard to have any kind of good technique. Still working on remembering to lift knees up more and to not collapse posture during the jive. I have to convince myself... I like the jive! Then we quickly reviewed Three Threes, 3 Alemanas, Sliding Doors and Continuous Hip Twists ( or something like that). Fun!
  10. latingal

interesting lesson on taking a piece of choreography and choosing the right dynamics, emphasis and level of energy to use.
  11. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Coaching today with latin female pro. Worked on samba. I can understand what needs to be done, and replicate it, but not consistently. Good lesson though. Also reviewed a bit of rumba, alot of attention on feet.
  12. fascination

sigh...not one for the record books...usually monday is a fairly good day till the last 45 minutes, but I was tired and sad the whole time...sore and hungry...and why am I not awesome for the ffort on all of those fronts?...basically sucked at rumba spirals, as well as coming out of fan into my gold cha choreo, and supreme stink at gold jive to speed... try starting the spin from your standing leg, doofus...(that will be helpful tomorrow at practice but was mostly demoralizing today)

then, on to the torture of trying to look like I enjoy and can dance intl FT...epic fail... but hopefully the breakdown of the twist turn will make it less horrid eventually, IF I can also remember to keep a long neck and shoulders that are relaxed and, and, and.....wonder how good a truly talented person could be throwing this much time and money at it

poured some tequila on it but still not sure if I should ever bother competing again...grumble....going to bed early and hoping that tomorrow is a new day
  13. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

exactly where I am at the moment. Danced the best ever at Colorado Star this past weekend, very good smooth results but rhythm marks were not terrific (good, but not terrific.) Have never been one to give up, but perhaps this is just a skill I'm not going to learn?
  14. latingal

ah ladies....I can empathize, but do remember, this is a skill that most of the top pros and amateurs that we wish to emulate have been doing for most of their lives. It takes time, good instruction and many hours - especially when you're playing catch up.

It's already pretty darn amazing we can do what we can do if you ask me....
  15. fascination

while I care to mark well on some level...for me, it isn't about the marks in this instance...it is about my own frustration with myself ...I am sort of mostly over the marks...I've learned a thing or two about that...

as to your point LG; personally, I am aware of those things...but I still think I ought to be more comeptant on a variety of fronts...at any rate, am not really looking to get into a big chat over it...it was simply an underwhelming lesson, and I am tired and sore and hungry...and tired of none of that getting me very far...but I will get over myself...
  16. latingal

Mostly rumba in the last lessons, lovely! Concentrated on giving intent to the steps; the choreography is technically difficult and a challenge, but I'm getting through it well enough to start working on connection and interaction. I like this routine a lot, it just needs to become second nature....
  17. fascination

today's lessons made yesterday's seem pleasant...enough said...here's to next week
  18. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

frame frame frame in smooth closed hold. It would be nice if i could stop leaning backward when i am supposed to be stretching up...it does help that my pro just stops when i am doing it wrong, so i immediately can recognize that i'm doing it wrong. else i'd just go go go.
  19. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Great lesson today. I think it got me out of the bad dance mood funk that's been clouding my brain all week.

Lots to work on though--turning then placing the foot, breathing, more isolation, and figuring out how work press lines and hips >.>

But things feel good overall :)
  20. Aura

Aura Active Member

DP is currently on a leave of absence due to some family issues, so I've been working with the other instructors on some pretty basic stuff (just got back from a two month hiatus). I hope DP is alright. Plan to give him a big hug next time I see him.