how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Wannabee

Wannabee Active Member

I know I have nothing to offer you that might help, but I can tell you that although I'm sorry you had a bad couple of lesson days, it makes me feel better to know that someone of your dance caliber can feel this way too.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

well thanks...you are kind...but you may have never seen me dance...my dance calibre is not particularly impressive....but I do appreciate the comment...as I have lessons today which I usually look forward to...and today...well, I'm not looking forward to them...and that is kind of a bummer...hoping it passes
  3. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

AND we're back to the neverending quest for more emotion and expression, which means lessons that feel something like emotional bumper cars. On the plus side, I'm getting kudos for technique, which seems to be better than ever.

Fasc - I totally get it. It will pass eventually. Good luck with your lessons!
  4. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

Haven't had a lesson in 2 weeks :( makes me so sad. But we have two coming up when I come back from my internship (I flew down to Florida to intern at Doré Designs)!!! Well maybe even 3. I am excited to finish my waltz, to improve other dances, and doing a show this Saturday! Ugh I am just extremely excited!
  5. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

awesome lessons...still trying to manage energy and dynamics better. but feel technically things are getting better.
  6. fascination

happy to report that the Gods must have been whispering in pro's ear...and mercy came running...felt like most of what was horrendous last week, promised some small improvement this week..still have alot of work to do do increase my spinning speed in jive and in keeping my hands where they belong as well as using them appropriately (and that isn't NEARLY as fun as it sounds)....then, well, it was smooth day sans foxtrot...which confirms that he may have picked up on the fact that I felt like sticking my head in the oven last week...plus we got to vw to a song that I am particularly fond of....I am SO easy...throw in a little tango and, as a friend likes to say, we set the world to rights....(or something like that)....AND, as a special gift from heaven, a dragon I have been trying to slay for years, sort of came into compliance (issues pertaining to various contortions that I like to create in my frame)...so....happy girl
  7. Wannabee

Wannabee Active Member

Happy to hear it fasc.

We have a showcase this Saturday and my I keep losing balance over and over again on the same 2 pieces of choreo. I shamelessly begged pro to fit me in for another lesson sometime this week to focus on only those 2 issues, and he said he would work me in if I really wanted him to, but he said I would be fine with the one more practice session that I already have scheduled. I think he's full of it but I bowed out gracefully lol. I'm not sure how much more verbal information pro can give me to help me execute the step any better anyway, which I guess was ultimately his point too.

I practiced this particularly problematic step on my own last night, doing it over and over and over while trying to recognize why it wasn't working and trying to implement corrections as best I could. But nothing seemed consistently wrong. One time I'm not over my foot far enough, the next time I'm too far over my foot, the next I'm falling out forward, the next I'm falling out backward, under-rotated this time, over-rotated next time, etc., etc. How can I "fix" it if I can't even recognize where the problem lies?
  8. latingal

Hey Wannabee....perhaps you can try this since you're so close to your showcase, after you've done slow repetitions to perform the movements technically correctly, take it up to speed and STOP thinking.

Your body has to be relaxed to work well in dance, too much thinking and over directing of the conscious mind can actually hinder what you are trying to accomplish. Instead make it your goal to do the step and if it doesn't come out "perfect" just cover it up....in this way you not only practice to get it "correct" but also how to work with it in performance.

Just my two cents....
  9. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

Took a random latin lesson (haven't done latin in years) and boy did it feel good. Gonna have to find the time to add that style back in to my comp prep schedule!
  10. fascination

my empathy wannabee...that is a long slow process
  11. fascination

tuesdays lessons were okay...some good things, but tuesday is always rough because I am always tired
  12. Wannabee

Wannabee Active Member

I like this approach. I think I will give it a shot. And actually, my best ones were the ones where I just got so frustrated with doing it slowly and messing it up that I just said "screw it, I'm going for it", did the full step at speed and it worked much better than slowing down each piece for scrutiny. Weird. Last lesson tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll be rested and focused.
  13. fascination

I think this is a common thing...often, I do better spirals in cha b/c there isn't as much time to think about where and how to do everything...I just let natural body mechanics take over...eventually, you will figure out how to replicate it..you will
  14. latingal

Not at all, you're teaching your body what to do in the slow repetitions...then letting it do it's job by not thinking when you do it at speed.

Normally I would slowly take the movement up to speed, but since you're under the gun for time - and the body may not have enough time to make the new movement a consistent habit, doing it and learning how to deal with the aftermath calmly and with style will be helpful for your performance.

Just remember, a good dance isn't about being perfect, it's about good movement/performance whether it's been choreographed that way or not!

Good luck Wannabee!
  15. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Back to some QS. Nice!
  16. gracie

gracie Active Member

Finally reached my goal! After studying Int. Latin for 4 or so years and doing closed gold for the last year, my Pro is letting me move to open! We started working on open choreography for Paso today and it was really fun. I have done a couple of open showcase numbers in Rumba and Jive so will do Paso for next one. I'm hoping to have it all done in time for Heritage. Especially coming off a tiring comp. week at Millennium, this was particularly elating!!:banana::banana:
  17. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Coach completely reworked half my partner's and my Smooth Tango routine at our request (too Standardy). On the bright side, it definitely doesn't look like Standard anymore and I get to pull off some really magnificent lines and actions. On the not so bright side, my poor partner is going to be very, very sore after every tango.
  18. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

Lessons are tiring lately. Going to get my thyroid levels checked, because I am dragging despite eating and sleeping well, and a lighter workout load. Hopefully getting energy back will be a quick medication fix.
  19. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Terrific lessons post comp. We looked at DVD and got to work! Cleaning up basics....
  20. samina

samina Well-Known Member

that is really exciting, gracie. celebrating with you... :)

it took a lot of work to get to this point. well done!