how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

went to a a group class tonight, was very happy with my work in the drills. first time ever that the body action felt almost effortless in drills! Hallelujah!!

2. latingal

Worked rumba in lessons today. It's been a long time since we've done any concentration on the nuances and breathing in following, and it's gone south.

So much work has gone in to the technical portion of learning and performing a new more difficult routine that the feel between the partners in the partnership has suffered. Time to pay some attention to awareness....

3. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Last lesson for showcase was great, with the exception that he kept pushing in on my almost broken rib - SCREAM - each time. Now to just "balance" in my shoes...would be an achievement...thinking of going to lower heels. Otherwise it was finally, a good lesson, on my part.

4. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Lessons going well.. worked on increasing directional speed today.

5. latingal

Awesome lessons today. After going to extremes on the last set of corrections, pro brought me back to grounding and dynamics to counter the issues I was creating with the last set. Dancing felt great in practice afterwards.

Also a better understanding of where to "wait" and what to do while waiting in the lead/follow and what that actually feels like when done correctly. The feel was different than what I thought it should be....very interesting!

If I can find a way to get all this in....wow!

6. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

Finally finished waltz, and therefore all smooth routines are complete. Which means, practe, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, and practice. I'm not sure but I think I forgot, oh yeah, practice.

Well we were planning on getting a bit more on one of our long sides in viennese waltz, and I forget what we talked about foxtrot, maybe just reviewing it because it has been a bit messy. Oof. So much work. I just really want to compete. But I know that when I do, I want to be the bestest I possibly can, and so the partner and I are choosing to wait to compete until later and possibly outside of our usual competition area. But we will see. Regardless, we have at least a month and a half if not more before our first comp.

7. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Lessons are getting even better after over a year with our current coach. We've started focusing more on the little things that will make us look fantastic - shape, styling, musicality, etc.

Bring into that a couple of guest-coach lessons with Tony Gauci, and our Standard, Latin, and New Vogue, are getting seriously better. We're no longer coming flat last at competitions...and I think with the recent (since last comp) focus on posture and projection, we're looking even better.

8. Ladybird

Ladybird Member

Yesterday was my first lesson (actually I had two lessons) for over a month. After a couple of minutes of waltz, my teacher said: 'What's happened to you? You are on a real peak!' My other teacher said the same in his lesson. I think maybe the break has helped to clear my head of all the pressure and unnecessary stuff and I am just focusing on the basics like posture, timing and my partner.

I'm glad to be back! :)

9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

that's wonderful to hear, ladybird. you must be very pleased... :)

10. Mufanga

Mufanga Member

Ladybird the same happened to me recently. I was away travelling for a month, and when I return I felt very good in dancing ;)

11. Ladybird

Ladybird Member

Thanks Samina, yes I am!

12. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

and I who meant to ask you about it! I just saw this! I'm just thrilled, thrilled I tell you!!!:rocker:

13. latingal

Trying to find key words that work in summarizing the feel of what I need to focus on before each dance.

14. Ladybird

Ladybird Member

Another lesson today and my teacher said he couldn't believe how much I have changed as a dancer since I last danced. He was really pleased with my posture, hold and balance. Apparently my swing and sway is really good too. There are just a couple of issues in that my foot placement needs to be even more precise and sometimes I try to anticipate his lead still. But it was great that he was pretty much astounded and I feel that my time off has been anything but detrimental. :)

15. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

latin, smooth and standard../sore, rusty, pathetic.....on all fronts .....small windows of progress...small

16. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

Have lessons in smooth today and tomorrow. Hopefully we will add about 3/4 of a wall to our vwaltz. Partner said he wanted to also work on foxtrot, but I don't know what. I'm assuming that during tomorrow's lessons we will continue to with tango.... our tango better end up being our best dance after this..... the best...

17. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Had a good lesson yesterday. The moves make more sense, feet are more stable, and the beginnings of shaping were worked on. Beginning to have that confidence in dance again after a horrible week last week.

18. latingal

lessons were about small spots that I always miss in my new routines....need to iron those things out now!!

19. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sigh....too tired to even evaluate it at the moment

20. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

Lesson to improve foxtrot a bit went rather well.... We got through it and fixed the timing and spots that really just werent working. Still lots to work on.