how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I think the most difficult part of my lessons are that I think I have made progress...but I never really know for sure...I always know what isn't there yet...but I rarely have a sense of what I have accomplished...but, for whatever it is worth, I think I am improving...lately the main focus is on independent balanced movement that can accomodate musicality, and economy of movement...
  2. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Worked on VW yesterday. That will make the first time I've done VW since January. It was rather disasterous at first (I wasn't moving enough and pro stepped on my foot), but it improved as we kept working. And by the end, pro said it was looking and feeling better than when I did it in January. Not sure how I feel about that :confused:

Tried out my new 3 inch heels for rhythm. I spent the first 20 minutes of my lesson falling into pro. But at least it was forward into the connection lol. After I got adjusted, it felt pretty good. The 3 inch heels definitely keep me from getting into the heel.
  3. frotes

frotes Member

Rumba connection and lead feels very nice when I do everything correctly. Now I just have to make those movements more automatic and incorporate it with all the footwork things I've been working on
  4. fascination

zomg...there are just no words for how exhausted I am ...mon was and hour and a half of latin and an hour and a half of standard/smooth...today was three hours of standard smooth...while I feel like things are improving, sometimes even alot, I just feel so impatient with my skill...think I need some sleep
  5. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

I've always wondered if this is a by product of pro-am. I have dealt with this issue much as of late.

Since we do most of our dancing with a "partner" who is higher in skill level then ourselves, and said individual is paid to teach and improve our dancing, positive feedback and/or acknowledgment can get lost in the day to day process of continuing improvement.

I know in my case, continually hearing about all my faults and none of my progress does nothing for my confidence in my skills (which becomes essential after a certain point on the comp floor). It may be different for others, but until this issue was addressed, I could not bring the quality of dancing to the floor that I wished to.
  6. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Best lessons in a long while - of course, first lessons in a long while as well. Made it through every routine and a whole lot of pretty critical technique, everyone was in a great mood, and wrapped up the day with a bunch of rounds that ended up feeling, for the first time in a long time, like just dancing and having fun. Whoo hoo!!
  7. GGinrhinestones

Wow, what a really interesting topic - probably best not answered here, but I've wondered much the same myself, as often as today. Everything becomes about improvement and getting better, and after a while the "fun factor" disappears. Praise is nice, but it's bigger than that - today, in my lessons, I was able to just relax and enjoy dancing, and I've noticed of late that I don't do that much anymore, because I'm always so focused on improving what I am doing wrong. Often it's because I hear the same things over and over again in lessons - the laundry list of stuff I'm still doing wrong. Or "you're improving, but still need more." I'm all for criticism, but you're right Latingal - at a certain point it starts impacting your confidence and sheer joy of dancing if that is all you ever hear.
  8. fascination

I think also, at least for me, that while I would never want a pro effusive in praise, that when one does have a relative vacuum of positive affirmation, it takes a very strong person to continue to prop themselves up amid a long period of time in which there is only what one hasn't accomplished at the forefront...I find that I do get disheartened and sometimes don't feel like dancing anymore when that burden gets too heavy...and it is usally followed by some time off, because, while I can tell my pro what I need or prefer, I can't make anyone be what they aren't ...but taking a break often gives me a chance to remember how much I still love dancing and it also gives me a chance to take an impartial look at what I HAVE accomplished...that being said, I imagine that I will spend the rest of my dance life, being the weak end of a financially procured "psuedo" partnership...absent droves of men knocking at my door making me a better offer, this is the choice I have made so I simply have to do the best I can to be kind to myself
  9. latingal

I've started up a new thread for discussion...it's here: http://www.danceforums.com/showthread.php?t=41612
  10. fascination

gah...just spent ages typing up a synopsis of the last 3 hours of lessons and the intenet dropped...so....just going with..... productive
  11. frotes

frotes Member

Starting to work on swing and really loving it. Lesson last week going through some patterns was really awesome and fun. However last nights lesson showed me I have a lot to work on still when executing because of lead/posture, not happy about it because I haven't found a good way yet of getting my body move correctly.

Gotta practice hard this week, figure how I am going to work this out and get it done
  12. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

Figured out why my feet cramp when doing rumba, which is nice. Now to unbreak a bad habit I managed to teach myself.
  13. latingal

I am trusting and going with it....my brain is screaming that I should be high tailing it in the other direction, but you know what they say:

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome."

So here goes nothing folks!!
  14. fascination

my lessons...grueling, gratifying...feel like many things are gel-ing...and yet, mindful of some things I need to work on...bottom line; for today, I am happy...I feel that 4 years at 8 lessons a week is beginning to make the thing feel good and natural ...am aware that I may be entirely delusional...but I am going to stay there for a while...
  15. GGinrhinestones

The bad (always get the bad out first!): 1) Wanted to smack pro upside the head for saying, "I see you haven't been practicing this much" when I've been spending a LOT of time on it lately (though, minor good - I didn't do it.) 2) Do not understand how it is possible that I can have been doing something correctly all along and yet it is the first thing my pro and coach try to "fix" over and over again...really?

The good: 1) Pro said my last lessons were the best I have ever danced, and now I just have to live up to it (yep, there goes that double-edged sword again) and 2) despite the occasional tough-criticism blows, there were way more things that both he and I noticed are vastly improved...all the practice is paying off!
  16. fascination

things are seeming like they are coming together....that, after these 4 years, we have a certain capacity to finally get one another in a way that is paying dividends these days...my lessons, though they will always be serious business, were (yesterday)...wonderful...and that...just.makes. me. so.very. happy...

lol..edit to add...reminds self that tuesdays usually aren't as good as mondays :)
  17. latingal

great lessons....feel like things are going to the next level!!
  18. latingal

Wow...last lesson was great. Really detailed information, found out where some disconnects were happening...very happy with what was passed on!
  19. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Uh oh... pro brought in "props" today to remind me to do certain things! In all seriousness, and to all the pros out there and of course to mine, thanks so much for consistently bringing 100% to every lesson to bring the best out of us, even more than we can imagine we could produce as students.
  20. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

:cheers: Especially on days when we aren't 100% on top of our game.