how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

WOW, I did two evenings in a row. First time in a year! Felt great!
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

my lessons yesterday, those were 4 extra this week, were great...felt good, pro's wife to a look at it and didn't have alot to say (color me astonished)...
  3. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

I think maybe pro is trying to build my confidence prior to USDC...but actually heard as many compliments as criticisms today...and some of them were pretty huge ones...it's kind of unnerving!
  4. fascination

I heard that something was "not bad, actually"...that's pretty much epic for me....

additionally, speaking of pre-usdc, we are also at that point where we are sporting battle scars...not sure how many toenails we have between us ...but I am betting it is less than 7...and I have a lovely thumb sized briuse on my right bi-cept from some pretty intense paso...he's too gracious to share damage I have inflicted, but I am betting it is there...all the same, it is going pretty well other than fatigue and wear and tear...in fact, I daresay, I feel pretty good about it...
  5. GGinrhinestones

Yeah...we had the first blood on the dance floor in quite a while today. As usual, the blood was mine. Unusual in that he caused it for the first time ever...
  6. fascination

I tend to cause myself various types of bloodiness from time to time...thankt goodness we have not yet cause it on one another...I am fairly certain I assisted in not pulling him over on myself today...but that was almost going to certainly be a bad thing...still in all. was a good day despite my limitations
  7. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

lessons preparing for USDC today....awesome. minor adjustments to choreography, a couple of questions of minute or two questions on technique and the rest was simply dancing. the goal - being able to reach and recognize the state that I need to be in on the comp floor, seeing how long I could hold that state and increasing the duration.

really needed the assurance and confidence of dancing at speed....my pro is absolutely awesome.
  8. fascination

mon and tues; the continuation of "this feels much more partnery" within the limitations of a considerable skill gap...but, I feel ever so slightly more respectable...:) recieved some unexpected coaching which was also very useful...all good
  9. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Had something of a breakthrough last week with coaching and follow up lesson with pro...one main point from visiting coach was about sticking your rear end out...there's a thread about this...coach said about the same thing Larinda did somewhere in the thread...making a slight adjustment with this and a few other things made an immediate and noticeable difference...wish I would have gotten this information a lot sooner, but anyway...moving on...have had problems with injury but have lesson scheduled tonight anyway...will suggest to pro we stick with basics for awhile...
  10. latingal

my brain doesn't want to listen to my body....it's much too bossy when it comes time for it to be quiet....
  11. fascination

lessons 9, 10, and 11 of the week....and my body certainly felt it...took nearly the first 45 minutes to stop creaking...looked at some new technical issues in standard...trying to keep the nerves from coming on...think things are humming along sufficiently....quiet weekend of practice ahead
  12. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Fabulous lesson today. I am hoping I can find a way to reproduce the work I did in the studio to the competition floor. Turns were good, spirals were good, posture was good... lots of great informative instruction to add more dimension to dancing and we were able to incorporate latest information from coaching as well.
  13. fascination

14. GGinrhinestones

Possibly last lessons before USDC, and so the focus was on trusting that I know my technique and just letting go and dancing, and for the first time in...well, EVER...it didn't feel like bumper cars. Actually felt like two people dancing. I think I even caught him smiling on more than one occasion!
  15. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Sigh...as noted in the pre competition disorder thread... I was not happy with my dancing today doing rounds. My pro.. bless him... was encouraging, but I know I could do better.
  16. fascination

well it must be in the air...for some reason I was blue today ...and pro was distracted..it was, in a word...underwhelming...am hoping that tomorrow is an improvement...but I have been doing this long enough that it isn't getting in my head
  17. latingal

hang in there debmc and fasc!!

lessons today....continuing last weeks' trend - pretty much downright mind-blowing. wow.
  18. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

What a difference a day makes... felt that rounds were much better in today's lesson!
  19. fascination

yea tues was much better than mon
  20. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

How are my lessons going? At the moment, they aren't. I've had three business trips in the last month, and now this week our coach can't come because of Hurricane Issac. I've been practicing in my head and walking through steps during breaks at work, just to make sure I remember things.