how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I will not be there for rhythm...have to work...only doing std, smooth and latin...silver std and latin (with one set of open silver in each in order to work on the new gold stuff)...then open only in the smooth
  2. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I'll probably see you for Standard then, your single heats should be before my scholarship. I've got to leave as soon as I'm done, sadly, Saturday's the killer day at work. And I've got TWO absences coming up in November (sales trip and Ohio. Where I will REALLY be dancing at o-dark-thirty. Joy. One of NP's other students is going to OSB to spectate and her husband's never been before. You should have seen his face when I said what time I would probably be dancing....I have a feeling he's not a morning person.)
  3. fascination

will look for you then....oddly, I was one of those people who preferrred O'dark thirty to "sit around and wait" then "need a nap"...should have quit after bronze :)
  4. danceronice

As long as I don't have to dance again eight hours later, early's not bad. Though I'll probably get home around 2am Saturday, which will not be fun if I got up no later than six! Ohio, I'm done right away, so that's not too bad.

And yes, doing Standard there, too--keeps both his students on one day, and as that's been eating up entire lessons (hence my Rhythm routines being catch as catch can right now) it's probably what I'm best prepped for. This lesson was partially a dress test run for Standard and that added costume-change time! In fact I had to remind him, even though the scholarship's only three dance, if we're doing Bolero and Mambo heats we better run through that at least once.
  5. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Hit and miss today. Getting ready for a showcase, which somehow always makes me cranky - spending lots of lesson time choreographing. I like showcases, I just always feel like there is a better use of that time even though I know it's good practice and a nice break and blah, blah, blah...

But productive overall, and this smooth thing is getting a little bit better every day.
  6. frotes

frotes Member

Finally feeling pretty solid about my smooth frame and posture. Apparently I had been compensating for my partners too much, which was why I could never quite figure it out and make it as comfortable as I am when dancing with her. She basically said I need to be more selfish and just worry about doing my part and looking good.
  7. fascination

brief synopsis of lessons: yesterday was full of wonderful information that at least felt new and like it was quickly going to improve my dancing...today was various shades of the same plus some jive hazing :)
  8. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I used to do showcases, but I always felt the same way... that it distracted from lesson time and was alot of money/time spent focused on one routine that I was probably never going to do again. That being said, I can see the value of the performance aspect of it and they are fun to do! Good luck with yours!
  9. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

My lesson today focused on stronger movement in rumba and chacha, shaping in paso and introduced some new patterns throughout all the 5 dances.
  10. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I was tired at my lesson today, but my wonderful pro was still able to teach and get me to learn new things while keeping it at my level of energy. I can't say enough good things about my pro... always in a good mood, always positive, committed to his students... and this is the first time I've had a lesson where I have been tired... and he was completely able to still turn it into a productive session. So happy!
    latingal likes this.
  11. danceronice

One more lesson this afternoon, then off to Harvest Moon!
    fascination likes this.
  12. fascination

wish I could leave that soon but I am facilitating a grief group tonight and have to teach a fitness class tomo morn...am thinking I am going to try to extend my stay now that slawek and marzhena are the show
  13. danceronice

My pro was actually happier with the "replacement" show, but then he was a pro Smooth dancer, too!

Saw your pro this morning already! See you during Standard!
  14. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I had my first private lesson in smooth. I've taken group classes in smooth before, but this was my first one on one. It was fun! The first part of my lesson time we worked on latin, the second part we started smooth. I think I am going to enjoy this. Something new!
  15. Wannabee

Wannabee Active Member

I've been a sucker for smooth from the very beginning. You could not have picked a better second style IMO lol.

My past 2 lessons have actually been rather productive I think (and I never feel that way). I feel like I am starting to get glimpses here and there of technique that's been missing in smooth. Frame, body position, and movement from standing foot to free foot are all improving. And I can't begin to say how happy that makes me.
  16. Wannabee

Wannabee Active Member

Ok...The triple post was due to something happening with DF software. I was not under the impressions that what I had to say was so important that it required triple posting... Sorry :rolleyes:
  17. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Smooth is my favorite style, even though I'm still working to put all of the technique together.
  18. My coach will be out of the country for a week, and we haven't practiced for 1.5 weeks. I do remember our last lesson, which was on quickstep. We did a bunch of chasses and step-hops around the floor. :D
  19. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Did a bunch of work on smooth yesterday with coach and instructor. Must keep hip to partner. Must keep hip to partner. Must keep hip to partner. Also: worked on softer knees in heel turns, better balance when leading developes, torso rotation (same as it ever was!), footwork footwork footwork, head position etc., proper exit from pivots, proper exit from grapevines,... did I mention head position?
  20. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

They aren't. Pro canceled on us an hour before our lesson was supposed to start when we were already on our way there. This is the third or fourth time in as many weeks we've had to reschedule with less than 24 hour notice.