how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Very happy with how lessons have been going...working less on a detailed technique basis right now. Currently pro is giving me big picture corrections and looking to stay out of the minutia that I usually dwell in. The game is, see if you can implement this without getting bogged down in the detail (that's supposed to be in body memory already!)....ask and see if ye shall receive....LOL!
    debmc and Wannabee like this.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

thusfar; use of knees and feet in cha and ru....AGAIN ...with renewed committment and hopefully to better effect

soon; waltz, tracking feet better and keeping feet on floor....working the showcase issues should probably also make it to the priority list
  3. fascination

inside spin, chasses and pivots..also downloaded showcase song...3 days to get that looking good
  4. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I'm getting that too... "Use your knees! Pick up those heels!"
  5. fascination

well, my issue is more that they need to go across my body so that I don't look like a cowgirl...not that I am not using them, but that I need to close them...but you have my empathy
  6. Wannabee

Wannabee Active Member

This!!! This...This...This... Pro is always telling me to close my legs. Now that I think about it, that phrase could go in the "things ballroom dancers say" that everyone else not dancing ballroom would think is weird lol
  7. cornutt

Thanks, and I understand that bit too... spent many hours doing the "hook and catch" rumba walks.
  8. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Lessons split in half... one in latin, one in smooth. In latin we did rumba walks and chacha lock drills, then worked dancing rumba to music, pro liked my rumba today, then we went over our samba which he has added some new elements to to make it a bit more challenging and fun, then did paso to music with a new ending, followed by a little chacha work on some specific trouble some steps, then reviewed new jive patterns. Then on to smooth! Did a little waltz, foxtrot and tango. It is all new to me... really working on the things that make smooth so different to me than latin... body position, lowering and rising, topline, feet together, head changing, arms position, bigger steps, etc, etc... I know these are all basics to you smooth ladies, but it is alot for me to absorb but in the end we were able to do all 3 dances to music, and I did okay, so hooray! I can't say I like smooth as much as latin, but it is fun to add something new to learn. I am also using new muscles that I didn't before, so... ouch...
  9. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

good lessons this week. working on finishing and continuing the movement. also more rhythmicality and dynamics.

all in all things are going along well....
    debmc likes this.
  10. cornutt

Just out of curiousity... after so long of concentrating on Latin, do you find it difficult to take heel leads in smooth?
  11. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

And so why does this happen?
    Tuesday night lesson, incredible. It seemed that every single painful technique that we have been working on all came together, clicked... To say the dancing was amazing is an understatement... Very happy.

Thursday night lesson... its all gone, poof!! All of thoes things that just seemed natural to my body are now not working again!

The worst is on Tuesday I did not anticpate this to happen, while tonight I had full anticipation that this improvement was permanent... I should be happy that I had one of thoes great lessons, but now I have become greedy and want it always...

Oh well back to the drawing board.
  12. fascination

13. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I thought I would, but paso has heel leads as well, so I am adapting! The hard part with both paso and smooth is knowing when it is a heel lead, and when it is not. I would like to somehow "feel" it, without having to memorize.. heel lead here, ball of foot there...
  14. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I don't like that feeling either, but when I have one of those "my body is not working right today" lessons, I remind myself... this has happenned before and the next lesson was fine.... and I am sure your next lesson will be too!
  15. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I hate it when it happens.

I've noticed I do better when I'm not trying as hard, or maybe that is to say when I've let go of trying to make something happen. No thinking makes for better dancing.
  16. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Lesson today, which means we'll be going over the comp, viewing the video and actual marks (Rhythm solid, Standard...well, the usual, except one judge, and I think he was just being nice, and even he couldn't find anything to like about Foxtrot or Quickstep.)

And then crash coursing Standard--we've got a month to Ohio and guess what we're doing? (Mostly because hey, awesome dress, and his other student who's going is doing youth Latin and it saves both of us money to dance the same day.)
  17. Wannabee

Wannabee Active Member

Smooth lady here. Trust me, these things are ALWAYS going to be points of focus, no matter how long you "do" smooth lol. Sounds like a great lesson to me.
  18. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Oh, yes. This is going to be a long painful slog to Ohio. With a LOT of foxtrot. Though the overall theme of everything else seems to be 'this only more so.'

However, coaching lesson BOOKED! I have a horrible feeling we're going to get two steps into slow waltz and he's going to be like "Oh, dear, stop there..."
  19. gracie

gracie Active Member

Getting open choreo in Latin and Rhythm. Have 3 in Latin and working on 4th now. Just starting open Am. Rhythm Rumba. Coach coming next week and so many students so she will be with us for two days. Excited about that. Haven't done Smooth for 3 1/2 months!!
  20. cornutt

The other day I got stopped on my first step... :rolleyes:
    j_alexandra likes this.
  21. cornutt

Meant to reply to this earlier... I don't know any paso, but in smooth (ignoring tango for the moment), heel leads are related to rise and fall. You use heel leads to create forward motion when you are in a "down" position; in waltz, this is generally on 1 and the start of 2. When you do foot rise, you roll through the heel to the ball, and rise as you transfer forward to the ball. You do not take heel leads when you are in an "up" position, so in the beginning waltz steps, you don't take a heel lead on 3 because you are "up" at the point where you bring the free foot forward.

(Obviously, you don't take a heel lead when moving backwards... I'm sure you knew that already, but it's worth saying for any newbies reading this thread.)
    debmc likes this.