how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Good lessons today...showcase is coming together, but only have a few more weeks to choreograph another 2/3 of the song and somehow get it looking good. But nice to just be dancing together after a few weeks off!

2. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

You have my sympathy! I concentrated on rhythm so long that now that I am back to smooth, I'm having to "unlearn" a lot of rhythm/latin habits - like toe leads, turnout, ribcage movement, and especially hip action. Teach and I joke that I'm so good at separting different parts of my body now that I'm forgotten how to move it all together. And yeah, new muscles! But enjoy it, it's a good pain! :)

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

round three of keep your knees together and your feet on the floor...track feet under your body.....including various knock out punches :)

4. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

You are going to have to start selling tickets to watch your lessons!

5. fascination

they can be entertaining...and I am all for supplementing the budget

6. cornutt

Instructor wants me to up my tango game. "It's time for your tango to not look like foxtrot." We worked a lot on making various movements sharper, ranging from basic steps to fans and open-outs and oversways.

7. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Just did polishing because DCDI is knocking on the door. Also reworked getting on and off the floor a bit. We created a loose schedule for Saturday of DCDI so we aren't running around panicking (not that we usually do). It is nice to know we have a warm up plan and a getting dress/makeuped/haired plan.

8. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

i still have a scar where i pulled THAT knife out!!

9. cornutt

LOL! If I had thought about it earlier, I could have gone to the Halloween party tonight with a fake knife in my back!

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  10. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Lol...funny, Standard again today and it came up how opposite the legs are between tango and foxtrot (on tango, we were working on how to move the leg vs weight, then the same thing came up regarding timing in foxtrot and I pointed out he was basically having me do the diametric opposite of what he'd had me do in tango, and perhaps this explains why there seems to be a correlation between liking foxtrot/disliking tango and vice versa.)

Also, as we start Viennese:

NP: "Do they usually split the floor in Standard at Ohio?"
    Me: "Yes, they did last time I did Standard, there are too many people...oh, God, we're going to go in really small circles now, aren't we?" (I have GOT to learn to stop answering questions like that honestly!)

11. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

lesson today....just shoot me now....

ah well, there's always tomorrow...

12. Mr 4 styles

exactly best analogy so far is tango is like walking forward on sand in flippers!!

latingal likes this.
  13. danceronice

Heh, his favorite analogy about backsteps (especially) in Foxtrot is "You're on the beach, drag your toe through the sand." Here is where wearing Smooth shoes helps as court shoes feel completely inflexible to me. I don't have any slows in slow fox, only quicks, he's trying for SOME sort of delay on the slow. Meanwhile in tango, he's trying to get me to do either "English" (send the foot, then go) or "Italian" (get the foot under the body, then send it, then go), but either way, whichever's easier, stop sending my weight along with the foot so they both arrive at the same time. So it actually moves like tango.

Yeah, I'm amazed he hasn't torn his hair out over me yet, too. I don't know, maybe it's that I'm one of the few students he has who likes Viennese.

14. fascination

I used to have no slows until I realized that it was because it took no longer to say "slow" in my head than it does to say "quick" which is why I generally count it instead and use lots of "ands" as well...it really made a difference....

15. Mr 4 styles

agree fasc same here

16. danceronice

I say slow, and yet it doesn't come out in my feet the way it does in my head...Also, one point in the routine, I kick NP so many times (moving on the wrong leg) he threatens to put me so far outside partner I can't reach him.

Purr likes this.
  17. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

great lesson yesterday, use of feet and ankles and lack of tension is finally cooperating with me. A rather simple figure in waltz routine that I have tons of trouble with is coming along too. Pro figured out that although this is a step out of frame, how to dance it in a practice hold to give me feedback, worked!

Does Hurricane Sandy not understand I compete in 2 weeks? Lesson cancelled today due to pending weather.

18. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I thought it would be awhile before I learnt Viennese waltz..... I thought wrong.....:)

Purr and danceronice like this.
  19. Olga Y

Olga Y Member

Spiced up quickstep routine yesterday by adding a few syncopations: Q-n-Q instead of Q-Q-S. Good run-throughs during the lesson, except for whacking my partner with an elbow on one of the spin-outs (whoops!)

20. cornutt

Dancing is a contact sport, in more ways than one. :p

I'm just starting to realize how baaaaaaad my tango is. And not in a good way. :rolleyes:

Purr likes this.
  21. fascination

conclusions today; um....if we don't pull it together and begin take rhythm a bit more seriously, we might want to consider not doing it...omg, haven't done much since usdc...and it shows...we will re-visit that tomorrow..also had a bit of fun doing wcs for reasons I cannot fathom except that this was one of those rare days when playful pro showed up to dance ( I like that guy)...ahem, however....ohio is just around the corner so we had to pull ourselves together and get down to business...seeing some corrections show up in latin...then, my goodness, can I just take this rare moment to say that standard waltz and even tango seemed very improved today for very deliberate reasons on my part? (and I mean I am actually proud of the waltzing...yes, proud)...and he knew it and used it and danced accordingly into it, then promptly nagged me about something that needs to be fixed...and, for the first time in 4 1/2 years I decided to take the moment to inform him that I am good enough to know that that was fairly significantly good and I am glad I know enough to congratulate myself absent his praise...he was amused and informed me that one cannot have a holiday everyday or it wouldn't mean anything...fair, enough...I am still celebrating...alone, but it was good and I know it...and so does he (and it takes alot of chutzpah for me to dare ever say that) ...FT was a tad more bumpy but still improved...and hey, it was the end of the lesson...I could not walk by then

Purr, latingal, debmc and 1 other person like this.