how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great lesson all around!
  2. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Only within the past few months have I started to enjoy Viennese waltz :cool:...actually feels pretty good...

...but heaven help anyone who is in pro's and my path coming down the floor...would not be good. :confused: o_O
  3. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Sunday lesson cancelled due to Sandy, Monday lesson cancelled, studio closed due to Sandy... Today, wind is still too strong for my little 2 seater car, which would of become airborne on the highway.... I cancel...

Off topic a bit.... So instead go out to dinner with husband and I tell him that I am using our AMEX points to go to Ohio. I tell him he is welcome to come, he declines, whew!!!....

I tell him my expectations are minimal, about my fears. This might of been better than a lesson... He lectures me to expect greatness. Tells me a story about his years in college football, a no fear kind of discussion...Really, nothing beats a kick you in the butt husband who supports your dreams, emotionally and financial....
    GGinrhinestones and latingal like this.
  4. stash

stash Well-Known Member

My boyfriend (and standard partner) and I take turns in kicking each other in the butt (figuratively) as competitions and uncertainties come up.
  5. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

pro-am rounds....disconcerting when you get feedback that they look nothing like how you perceive them, does that stop at some point?

also hard to find a steady level of quality from one round to the next....*sigh*
  6. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

not really imo:(
  7. juwest333

juwest333 Active Member

Had my first jazz movement class where we learned a small jazz routine. Never moved my body like that before. A lot of fun, but my body paid for it. Need to work on better stretching.

Also had a class on spinning techniques. Much more difficult than I initially believed.
  8. latingal

still feeling inconsistent but at this point too exhausted to continue trying to figure it out. trying very hard not to just throw my hands up in disgust....
  9. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sometimes, after a hard knock, we forget all that we have accomplished....and we dance out of the hard knock, instead of out of all that we have accomplished...and it kills the flow....hug...you can do this...for yourself...and the rest is irrelevant...and so can I :)
    debmc and latingal like this.
  10. latingal

Thanks fasc....words of wisdom that remind me what is important..... hugs!
  11. LordBallroom

LordBallroom Member

I'm on a budget but I've had a bunch of coaching sessions with some accompolished pros. I finally have found the dvds that teach the exact same principles. It's nice to be able to not spend 80 bucks an hour for closely guarded ballroom secrets along with being able to rewind if I need to refresh my memory on something.
  12. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

What DVD's have you liked?
  13. jump'n'jive

jump'n'jive Active Member

i wasn't on the receiving end of the lesson, but yesterday i taught 7 straight lessons with no breaks in between! i was in a bad auto accident in august and ripped my internal and external oblique's off of my hip bones. had to have a serious surgery and both muscles had to have mesh sewn to my muscle and drilled into my hip bones. i felt great teaching yesterday and really felt like i was back to my old self again on the dance floor.
    latingal and fascination like this.
  14. LordBallroom

LordBallroom Member

The specialty videos on dancevision.com. They break down the fundamentals of good dancing better than anything I've ever seen. Things like posture, swing, and sway are explained so that one understands the physics behind these beautiful movements.
  15. freeageless

freeageless Active Member

I agree. The Dance Vision DVD's are very good. You may also wish to try the DVD's by Emilio Libero. They cost a little less than the Dance Vision DVD's and have some patterns on them that the Dance Vision DVD's do not have. Also Dance Vision has some patterns that the Libero DVD's do not have. In addition, I would recommend that you try some of the USISTD or the ISTD instructional DVD's. You can find the ISTD and Libero DVD's by using Google. I have found them all to be very helpful when I use them as a supplement or back-up to the group classes and/or private lessons. Good luck.
    LordBallroom likes this.
  16. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

and back to lessons
  17. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Why are tango contra rocks so difficult for me? They make me feel like a klutz.
  18. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Well, in general it feels good. I suspect it doesn't LOOK as good as it could.
  19. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I had my first Latin lesson today since before Millenium. I have to say, it's particularly surreal being the "experienced" half of a partnership in *Latin*. Still, the lesson went well and I don't doubt my am partner will pick things up quickly enough.
  20. latingal

Lessons the last couple of days...working on the mental game. Things seem to be coming together with both personal insights and specific targeted feedback from pro on the dancing I am doing right now. Also stretching the boundaries of my dancing, which funny enough I'm finding have been in my own backyard all along....(yea...my head is not an easy place to be - LOL!)