how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I'm really happy with how my pro-am lessons are going. It's obviously a very different thing than what she does with her pro partner, but I feel like when I'm really focusing, what I'm doing with my instrcutor actually counts as "dancing". Generally this would mean that it's about time for a rude awakening, but I'm keeping my expectations tempered for my next comp with her.

Also, lots of work on use of hips in standard as well as the location of my mansierre while I dance. (Note: I do not actually wear a mansierre. Or a bro. For the record.)
  2. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Good today overall, after a few weeks off. Still working on showcase choreography, but something must be working even then because my last few "social dancing" breaks have resulted in me noticing some pretty major improvements in both smooth and rhythm since my previous social dancing excursions - lots more being over my own feet and confidence in what I am doing. Both teach and I are having fun with this showcase, but looking forward to moving on. Ready to get back to actual training and prepping for competitions. He brought up the competition discussion today for the first time since switching styles...starting to get a plan together for after the holidays.
    cornutt likes this.
  3. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Latin lessons are coming along nicely, but smooth... it's a whole new world! I'm talking bronze smooth too.. just the basics... it feels so different than anything I've done before ( rhythm/latin)....
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

standard is feeling alarmingly nice, except for tango...when did that become my worst dance?...I mean it is feeling quite independent and balanced and lovely...smooth is coming along in a similar vein, but with some wrinkles... latin and rhythm are improving...my feet hurt...the margarita was good...heat in the hotel is blaring, I know there's bengay somewhere in this bag...tomorrow is a day off to run errands and pack for some upcoming conferences before ohio...last pre-osb lessons on sun and mon.....que sera
  5. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Fun, isn't it? There's nothing in the world quite like smooth.
  6. cornutt

When you realized how boring international tango is? :p
    Purr likes this.
  7. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

My international tango routine is boring...made comment to pro several times it's just a bunch of big links strung together...
  8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

well, tis true that I like my gold standard tango better than the silver, I am afraid that it is not the dance that is to blame :)
  9. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I love tango, tis my favorite dance. I find syllabus tango boring, not open. Though don't have an open tango routine yet. I got a lesson today, first one after DCDI, we shall see how it goes.
  10. GGinrhinestones

The good: choreography is finally finished for the showcase! Now we have a few weeks to practice and actually get to the point where it looks halfway decent.

The bad: I'm past the point where I get dizzy dancing on my own feet, but holy heck, how do I not get dizzy in lifts where I have NO control and the world is spinning crazily and then I have to actually get down and dance more? Did a search on DF for tips, but the best I can figure so far is that with enough practice, it will go away eventually...
  11. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

GGinrhinestones: that's about all I've every found with any kind of dizzy (unless you can sneak a hop to stop the fluid spinning that causes the feeling, which is easier in a hip-hop routine than it is in ballroom...) With skating spins (which you can't spot) I just kind of learned to...unfocus my eyes so I'm not trying to look at anything, which helps with dance turns.
  12. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

I'm making the switch now from American to International (gasp....no bolero for a while now *sniff*). I started Standard a couple months ago and last night did my first latin lesson in cha cha and could only barely keep my legs straight practicing it to rumba-music. It felt like a hot mess. LOL.
  13. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

lol but you can still do boleos in your AT
    Miss Silly likes this.
  14. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

BAHAHAHA true!
  15. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Great stuff in lessons this week. It seems all the correct body actions are starting to show up in the dancing and now it's time to go back and clean up the overall look of the dance. Concentrating on keeping the energy consistent in the upper half of the body.
  16. cornutt

Finally getting my topline/torso issues sorted in smooth. My frame is more relaxed; my posture is less forward, and I'm not having to use as much force in general. Now that that's done, I need to sort my footwork. One issue I've run into: I will admit that there are places where I'm taking a toe or ball step instead of a heel, and I'm working on that. However, I'm also noticing that I'm sometimes accused of having taken a toe step when I know that I didn't -- I distinctly felt the heel first, but my toe is just barely off the floor and it looks like a toe step. Now, I realize that this is still not really correct, and that if the ball of my foot is that close to the floor on what is supposed to be a heel lead, then I'm still not really achieving the correct foot position.

However, to my mind, the two things (toe lead, and toe not far enough off the floor on a heel lead) are two different problems. The first one is just incorrect, and I know that, and I'm working on it. But the second one is a mechanics problem. And it's causing me some confusion in my lessons when I'm told that I did the former when I really did the latter. Need to figure out how to sort that out. And then there's the actual problem with the toe lifting. I think it goes back to when I was a runner. In high school I was on the cross-country team. In college, I tried to keep that up, but I started having terrible problems with shin splints. Eventually it became so painful that I quit. This business of lifting the toe activates the same muscles that caused me the shin-splint problem, and I can feel it when I work on that: those muscles around my shin bone get sore pretty quickly. My instructor is working with me on some foot exercises to stretch and strengthen those muscles.
  17. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

First lesson with new rhythm/latin instructor.
    All it took was 45 minutes, and I am hooked!

The reason was this.... I realized quickly that I was dancing. I know this sounds stupid, but with my smooth instructor is so technical always that after this lesson I realized that it has been years, yes years that I actually felt like I was dancing for just the joy of it. That we were moving to the beat of the music...

A lot for me to ponder.
  18. GGinrhinestones

Good today...branched out of the showcase realm a bit now that choreography is done and hit some basic smooth technique - actually kind of nice to get back to "work" for a while! Still really having some issues with dizziness in lifts, but it's a little better...still have a few weeks to work on it before I have to find a way to come out of a lift and keep dancing without falling over. Wondering if maybe breathing would help? I think I'm forgetting that part in the whole trying-not-to-throw-up battle.
  19. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Planning session combined with some basic corrections. Am very excited to start a new round of focused work...next six months are going to be a bit more than a tad uncomfortable as we stretch my comfort zone considerably.....but it's what's required to get where I want to be. so be it.
    Wannabee likes this.
  20. cornutt

Yesterday: first lesson with DW since late October. In her absence, I've done a ton of work on frame, posture, and movement with the visiting coach. Now I have to get used to doing those things with a partner other than an instructor. And she has to get used to a lot of different things from me. Bad-habit accommodations have to be unlearned and we both need to get comfortable with the new feel of the connection.
  21. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Rhythm! It feels like AGES since we've done Rhythm! Yay!