how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

I can't figure out how to quote a previous post so will do this instead:

GGinrhinestones said, "The bad: I'm past the point where I get dizzy dancing on my own feet, but holy heck, how do I not get dizzy in lifts where I have NO control and the world is spinning crazily and then I have to actually get down and dance more? Did a search on DF for tips, but the best I can figure so far is that with enough practice, it will go away eventually..."

I have found that I either spot as I'm being turned during a lift or, if I'm unable to do that, as in a sidebar when I'm lifted above my partner's head with my body horizontal to the ground, I look at the floor while we're turning. That helps me figure out where I am when I come out of the lift. We only have one lift we do that I'm unable to spot OR look at the floor and when I come out of that lift we've placed a dramatic pause in the choreography for me to get my bearings again.

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

you should see a "reply" prompt in the lower right corner of every single post...if you click on that, a reply box comes up and you respond

3. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Thanks! I haven't tried looking at the floor, but I'll try it. Spotting definitely isn't an option. Come to think of it, I'm not entirely sure looking at the floor is an option either, since I'm basically lying upside down across his shoulder...but I'll try. I think being partly upside down and spinning does have something to do with it, since I don't have nearly the same problem when he drops me horizontal to the floor and spins the other way. It did get a little easier last week, and I have a few weeks to keep working on it, so hopefully it will all work out!

4. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

Yep, when you're up there spinning around up, down, left, and right have absolutely no meaning!

GGinrhinestones likes this.
  5. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I had a lesson Saturday, my first in a month. Pro and I did the American and International waltz and tango routines. Pro said I had never danced better, said the dynamic of my smooth dancing has changed a lot over the last few months. My reply was maybe I should take time off more often. I don't think pro was amused.

I have coaching today and tomorrow with smooth coach. It's unfortunate timing, having missed lessons for so long, but it's not to be helped. I'm not missing the opportunity for coaching, and I'm looking forward to it.

6. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Yes! Finally, finally, finally! All the way through the routine several times, including the lifts, and still functioning! Still dizzy, too, but it's entirely manageable. Now if I can just start figuring out some of this smooth technique, and not keep defaulting to rhythm when I start getting tired.

7. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Second lesson last night with new rhythm instructor... me, the one that dances smooth and does not do rhythm!!

I am like OMG, so this is why you all like the rhythm dances so much!!! It feels like a whole brand new experience... I wonder how can that be that different dance styles bring out such different emotions... All good!!

The two instructors are complete opposites as to how they approach teaching and even more their viewpoints as to what dance is, the contrast is awesome.

GGinrhinestones likes this.
  8. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I am just continuing on having one great lesson or coaching after the other. I feel that I am acquiring alot of knowledge... now I have to bring it into my muscle memory....

9. fascination

going to repeat my Fb post here...and going to tell my pro this tomorrow....today were my first lessons since Ohio...i really didn't feel ready to return and was dreading it...he was brutal...fellow students asked me about my past few weeks, which have been crappy on every front, and he simply welcomed me back as a "lost soul", asked if I was done whining and then proceeded to want to hear nothing from me and see everything fixed TODAY...it was three hours of agony...that being said, what I appreciate about it is that I don't believe he would have bothered if he thought I was hopeless...and so...I am going to take all of that as a compliment :)

debmc likes this.
  10. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Coaching lessons yesterday with coach...went pretty well considering I've only had one lesson in the past month...did american and international tango routines...coach focused on leg action...alll good stuff...lather, rinse, repeat today. :cool:

11. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Lessons were interesting. Was expecting the next phase of work to be less technical and more focused on performance qualities....LOL - I ended up working on the technique that underlies the performance qualities. Old habits die hard....

12. fascination

all I am going to say is that monday's lessons involved nearly and hour and a half of spirals

and tuesday's lessons involved a whole bunch of heel turns and dbl reverses....

13. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Getting more choreography for my tango showcase. So far lots of paso type moves. They will look amazing if I can manage to get ALL of the shaping correct.

I'm starting to have more deliberateness (is that a word? if so, spelling?) and articulation in my feet in rythym, which means my steps are looking so much better but my pedi/toenail polish is taking a beating. I'm ok with the trade-off :)

latingal likes this.
  14. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I know in another thread I lament my lack of practice time... but in this thread I continue to say that every lesson is absolutely fabulous! We are doing a nice combo of some time in latin, some time in smooth, pro is great at noticing, fixing, and recognizing the improvements, great lessons today. Lots of good progress on being more solid on my feet and feeling more balanced... that is continuing to get better.

latingal and fascination like this.
  15. fascination

all pain...no gain....thinking I need more time off ...

16. latingal

Ugh...feeling the same right now. But think I must pick myself up by the boot straps and soldier on right now, if it were just me, perhaps I'd take a week off. But I've got an amateur partner in the mix now.

Hope things go better fasc....

17. fascination

yea...I have no partner, and no bootstraps left....3 week break...sometimes I get tired of picking myself up....sometimes I need to just crawl away and reflect...not sure what I would soldier on to...not feeling any internal or external motivation ...it is the sort of thing that always signals a break

18. latingal

Can soooo relate. Have a good break, I know your learning was going well before last comp - hope you can find that space again!

19. fascination

well...we shall see...

latingal likes this.
  20. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I've had that lesson a lot. ;)

21. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

It sounds like you need a break to get some perspective. Maybe when the holidays are over, you'll be ready to get back to dancing, or at least figure out where you want to go next with it.