how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. stash

stash Well-Known Member

After having 2 bad weeks of dancing, this lesson was really what we need. Our coach really hit the nail on the head and broke stuff down for us and gave us simple goals to work on. Feeling much better for the practices a head. :)
  2. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

Just had a lesson to redo our foxtrot. Fortunately, we didn't even redo it. Yay! Just moved things around. Changed things we just hated or couldn't do and just made it work. Now to practice practice practice and get ready for MAC!
  3. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

All rhythm, all the time. Swing and I do not get along.
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  4. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Enjoying the recent lessons, working on attitude and dyanmics....performance is improving and having a great time to boot!
    debmc likes this.
  5. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

We just had a lesson on how to look more genuine and have more feeling in rumba. Apparently we looked like dancing zombies.
  6. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

my worst rhythm dance and the one i work on the most:(

you could audition for "walking dead"?

when the mrs feeling is down in intl rhumba... i just tell her to pretend im Andrei Gavrline ( sp). Laugh then better feeling tends to ensue
    Jananananana likes this.
  7. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

Nice. I prefer imagining Mr. Kryklyvyy. :D
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  8. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

lol its just that im taller than that and have brownish blond hair LOL

she does love Slavik too!!
  9. danceronice

Someone clearly installed a jive circuit where the swing processor in my brain is supposed to be.
    jump'n'jive and debmc like this.
  10. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I have the opposite problem... ,
  11. danceronice

The irony is I'm not that great at jive to begin with, but somehow when I'm trying to do swing it's definitely the default override....
  12. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

The moment jive music starts I think to myself 'really, I have to keep up with that pace?'
  13. danceronice

For me, the speed is less the problem than the timing...but somehow it still works better than swing, well enough to take over when I'm supposed to be all swing and loose.
  14. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I had a lesson today with a good friend of mine I've taken lessons from off and on through the years. My brother/partner and I are doing a show on NYE and needed some help, but we only had time for big picture bandaid stuff...make it "presentable enough." We finished the lesson feeling sooo much better about the two routines. A bit of new material--not enough to throw us, but enough to freshen things up a bit. Fixed things we struggled with. It was great!
  15. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Feels like I'm finally back to real lessons after a very long break. Showcases are over and done, and now we're focused on comp routines and basic, basic actions - and I am loving it!!! It feels so good to be working again. Inspired all over again!!
  16. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

New Years Day started off right with two lessons and then lunch with my pro. Great way to start the year!
    Olga Y and GGinrhinestones like this.
  17. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Just had a double lesson, first lesson at all in a month. Got some very good basic exercises and work done, and we started working on standing spins! Those who know me know that this excited me to no end, as I've been looking forward to doing standing spins since like ... I started. WHEE!
  18. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Went to dance camp and had some coaching to close out 2012. Great information, I'm currently going through it all to decide which points I can start working now with my current corrections, and which ones I wish to plan out for the coming year. Lots of good stuff, and I'm excited about the direction my dancing is taking!
  19. Olga Y

Olga Y Member

SO excited to finish with the "emotions" and "story" that we worked on for the NYE showcase and go back to technique. Dancing feels and looks good when we are prodded into shape by our teacher :)
  20. danceronice

Does it sound silly that I was most pleased one thing NP worked on today was teaching me the 'spinout' bow at the end of a dance where he lets go of my hand and lets me walk away?