how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

LOL, I always feel silly when in the studio and the pro works on entering the ballroom and the bow....
    But some things don't always come natural and need to be taught, and are important.

Had an awesome smooth lesson last night, awesome rhythm lesson today... My body hurts a lot right now, no complaints about that though. After lesson I went to the grocery store and I was limping around the isles I hurt so much!!

I am the most excited that, go figure, after a month of rhythm lesson, it might be possible that some day I might actually turn into a rhythm dancer!!
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

pro has an aversion to anything other than something very simple and basic for someone of my skill (or lack thereof) level...so we have never practiced it and probably never will...so I always have a moment of discomfort when it becomes neccessary
  3. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

We also keep it quite simple (and many times I will not spin out when others will - a simple elegant curtsey does well in it's place)....I don't have time in my lessons to even think of working on something that is a "nice to have" on the floor, I've got too many other pressing issues to address with the little time I have. Besides that - not spinning out actually lets me save some energy at the end of a dance and start recovering for the next one.
  4. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

To me, it indicates he is confident he can let go of my hand and not fall over. Never letting go screams "bronze" to me (ie the pro needs constant control, even when the dance is over.)

Plus spinning is never work. And I never care if he takes a few minutes to do something interesting instead of drilling to death. Usually we only spent a few minutes on any given figure per lesson, anyway.
  5. fascination

6. fascination

lessons....wonderful to be back...worked some issues with quick open reverse in gold standard waltz...and some review of recent corrections to my double reverse....also spent a good deal of time going from hover corte to contracheck in terms of foot placement, fluidity, timing and size of step...also head position...note to self: keep right side closed

also worked hover cross and top spin in FT..... note to self.....step under your body and turn foot, stay forward...same on hover...other note stop snatching your leg back then waiting on slows
    j_alexandra and pygmalion like this.
  7. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Lesson yesterday...all international waltz...improvement on double reverse..some improvement on flow...begrudgingly, on my part, I don't like the change for the improved flow because it doesn't feel so great for me...heavy sigh...may insist on tango for next lesson
  8. latingal

I just spent an hour and half realizing I have to look happier when I dance..... LOL! I mean, really? Just kill me now....
    danceronice likes this.
  9. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Do you normally have the 'thinking' face? I really have to work on that....my natural 'at-rest' expression isn't especially smilely to begin with, and I tend to look serious when I'm concentrating. If I'm laughing while dancing, it's generally that I screwed up and/or am frustrated by something, which is not how it's supposed to work!
    Purr likes this.
  10. Wannabee

Wannabee Active Member

Working on a showcase routine. It's sort of a paso/tango hybrid. WAY out of my league with the choreography. But, it should give me lots of opportunity to push out of my comfort zone. If I can look 1/4 as good as my instructors when they dance it, it will be a great show number. But alas, my body doesn't want to shape correctly.... :confused:
  11. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Pretty much same here. ;)
  12. latingal

It's not only the face with me, it's the body language.... *sigh* Ice queen is an apt descriptor.....
  13. frotes

frotes Member

ditto
  14. fascination

well...(said with Estonian accent)... we braved the dreaded rumba drill today and everyone is still standing...some modest progress and some productive work on corrections that will make it even better...I am feeling modestly optimistic that I can make some positive progress here...spent an hour and a half on rumba and don't want to jump off a bridge...that is progress...second half of lessons was waltz in both styles (gold and open respectively)....feeling some optimism there as well...also blew the cobwebs off of tango and it was not as frightfully bad as I had feared, though clearly could use further attention...finished with quickstep, which is new choreo for me and I am looking forward to someday being able to do that well...pro was in lovable fuzzball mode (well, sort of :)) and so there was hard work with a limit to the the levity, but there was the capacity to keep it reasonably light...and, given my own capacity to stress myself out beyond productive levels, it was pretty much a perfect balance
    latingal likes this.
  15. latingal

Lessons today....you've got be kidding, I've got to sing? I didn't see anything about that when I signed up! Just kill me now....
    Wannabee likes this.
  16. Wannabee

Wannabee Active Member

I'm sure your singing voice is dynamite latingal! lol

Lessons for me have been good here lately, which usually signals the beginning of a rather long period of extreme frustration. But if I can manage to perservere through the bad lessons, I can sometimes see noticeable progress.

We are working on showcase routines. I'm doing 2 numbers in our upcoming spring showcase, so I've got my work cut out for me. I am sort of bronze/pre-silver level and with showcase numbers, we do a lot of gold and open steps. They are really fun and I enjoy them, but they are really difficult too. I try to be sure that the technique when I do these steps is solid, as I don't want to look like I have no business doing them. Hopefully I can manage a decent attempt at it. Either way, I'm looking forward to it.
  17. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Lessons going very well here too..

With smooth pro have been working on greater movement and equally using all parts of my body as one unit, that, and expression which is finally becoming me, not forced, just me... I love when you find yourself on the top of the learning curve because it is usually brief, but when it comes to visit it is sooo nice!! Since my pro has gone independent I notice that he, although subtle, seems happier and I feel it coming through in our lessons.

Rhythm lessons, moving along good... After about 6 weeks with new pro, new style, I am now feeling comfortable with him so I can just be myself and no longer feel nervous about my lack of skill set or concern myself with asking something really stupid.... That and yippie, found a pair of rhythm shoes that don't hurt my feet!!!
  18. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

What shoes did you find that you liked?
  19. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Lessons are going well, though smooth feels so different. I can't remember or can't quite create the movement that will bring my feet together, so they default to the classic latin foot "V" position when I am doing smooth. Topline seems to be staying consistent, staying connected to pro... but my feet!!! Feels so different to do smooth when I am used to doing rhythm/latin.
  20. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

This week has been a washout. Monday: visiting coach couldn't make it because of weather. Tuesday: group class cancelled because instructor was ill. Today: snow.