how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Had lesson with latin female coach today. Worked on legs.. really making sure I am solid on a straight leg.. unbeknowst to me it can still bend at times, and on feet... need to bring that knee out first so that foot doesn't look floppy but maintains a nice high arch line.

2. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Now that mambo routine is done, started to dance it to music... Wow, it is fast!!

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

rut roh...have not danced silver latin and standard since Ohio, which has been great for the Gold, but since there aren't a bunch of closed gold scholarships and I am not ready for open in those styles, it was time to re-visit silver in those styles...and I repeat; rut roh...tried to maintain a crispness in feet and a constantly moving hip without being too much of a brute.....and I quote dancebeat; "F has a take no prisoners attitude, you can't miss her on the floor, but sometimes she can be a bit too physical"...well, can't argue with that...but can try to fix it..also worked jive, which, I swear, was supernaturally pitched for sadistic purposes...then, on to samba, the primary purpose of which was to learn to move my hips more than my shoulders...

had to put on the "granny shoes" for smooth and standard....grumble grumble...but it allowed me to get through the three hours stable on my own foot most of the time....again, hit bumps reviewing silver, but I do think that things are trending upward...wish I had the energy to accomplish more today...this whole calorie reduction thing is kicking my butt...but he tolerated it

latingal likes this.
  4. fascination

today; meh...fairly certain that I underwhelmed him....am having a bit of trouble adjusting to reduced calories...I know I will get used to it, but I had no energy today...it was a slog

5. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

do the shred diet its much more tolerable less glycemic variance

6. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Ok, I just bought the Shred Diet book... Mr. 4 Styles... I hope you are right!

7. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Lesson today reviewed all 5 latin... focused on areas that were highlighted by coaching. Jive is actually getting better.. hooray! Also, apparently the tempo of the paso has been officially reduced by NDCA...so here is hoping that one day the jive will be slower too...LOL! After latin, did a little tango and foxtrot, focusing on topline positioning and leaving "latin feet" behind. Lesson left me hopeful that I will be able to compete in smooth soon!

8. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

its not easy but it works the mrs is doing it if you dont like it send me a bill for the cost:D

9. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Really? Wow, that would be great for me.....LOL! :rolleyes:

10. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

I was so excited by that when I read it.

I feel like I became a much better dancer just being in the same room as Jonathan Roberts today, even though I didn't have a lesson with him. Although, I'm pretty sure that would be attributed to the fact that I did have a lesson with Larinda. And it was fantastic. I feel like a completely different dancer. Worked on top and bottom rotation. Still working on making it work, but I can already feel my balance being fixed from it.

11. latingal

Anybody know what they reduced it to and for whom (pro, pro-am, and/or am?

12. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

This is all they said in the email: PASO DOBLE: The tempo of the International Style Paso Doble has changed from 60-62 to 56-60.

13. latingal

Okay, right now the ndca tempi listing still says 60-62 for all categories (pro, pro-am and am) so perhaps the change is for all categories....

I am a happy camper....more time to stretch in to and show those paso lines!! :)

debmc likes this.
  14. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Was told today that I have too much right-side lead in tango... never been told that before. It's always been the opposite. I supposed that's progress, sorta kinda.

15. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Yes, but can we reduce the jive tempo too? LOL

Miss Silly, danceronice and latingal like this.
  16. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I won't send you a bill... :), but I will let you know if it works. I downloaded the book, and will start tomorrow. It sounds perfect for people who just want to drop 10-20 lbs, and it sound easy to follow.

17. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Seriously, I'm fine with Paso as-is, can we knock Jive down a bit (and speed up ECS?)

debmc likes this.
  18. latingal

Good lesson today. Worked on dynamics in rumba....really enjoyed the work.

19. fascination

words I wonder if I will ever speak

20. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Good today...trying to get back into something of a routine (pun intended) for lessons, which hasn't really happened since switching to smooth...but things are starting to click today. Some minor tweaks that led to major improvements. Trying not to notice how close Heritage is from today.