how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Are you going to Heritage? So am I..., hope to see you there! I'm not doing smooth there, latin only.

2. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I have to admit I'm not familiar with the word "dynamics" in this context... please elaborate.

3. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Yes, I'll be there! Only dancing smooth, but smooth and latin are only a day apart, so maybe I'll still get the chance to see you!

debmc likes this.
  4. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

From Ruud Vermeij's book "Latin: Thinking, Sensing and Doing in Latin American Dancing":

"Dynamics refers to how the movement is performed. Through dance the dancer experiences movement which expresses emotions, moods and states of being. These are revealed mainly through the movement's dynamics. In the dance situation the dancer should be in control of the movement which creates these moods, while in real life the moods often take control of the person.

Laban recognized that the dynamics of movement are created by particular combinations of four motion factors which he classified as flow, weight, time and space."

----------------------------------------------

I believe in Laban Movement Analysis "dynamics" is one of the four categories of inter-related areas of study of movement; Space, Body, Effort and Shape. Dynamics is called "Effort" in this mode of analysis.

In my lesson, we actually worked a bit inside to outside....using emotion or feeling to bring about a certain set of movement characteristics.

And we also worked outside only, working with the rhythm of movements (a combination of weight and time if I am understanding my lessons correctly - though I've just started my studies in the area!).

And yes, if you've ever taken a look at the full scope of Laban Movement Analysis, it makes my brain hurt.....

My easy layman's answer is, I worked on understanding which movements create (and how to do them effectively) different emotions or feelings for the audience. Essentially learning to control your body language in the complex movement of dancing....

debmc likes this.
  5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I love this

latingal likes this.
  6. cornutt

Interesting... I like to think of movement in terms of forces, so I might translate "flow" as momentum (or inertia, which is the other side of the same coin), and "weight" as gravity. I guess I'll have to try to find that book.

danceronice likes this.
  7. latingal

According to what I've read in the book (and found on the web), on a very high level, the four motion factors are concerned with:

- Weight: gravity, has a spectrum of heavy to light movement (either active or passive)
    - Time: timing of the movement, speed of the action, has a spectrum of sustained to sudden
    - Flow: refers to control of energy in the body, about continuity/progression etc., has a spectrum of free to bound energy in the body
    - Space: the manner in which movement evolves in space, has a spectrum of direct to indirect

From Vermeij's book again: "Dynamic qualities are created by the dancer's attitude to the motion factors. These attitudes are as follows:

- a relaxed or forceful attitude to weight
    - a flexible or direct attitude to space
    - a prolonging or shortening attitude to time
    - a liberating or witholding attitude to flow"

If you have any other questions or wish to continue in discussion, perhaps we should create a new thread on it so we don't over run the "lessons" thread. :)

8. GGinrhinestones

I think it's a great idea for another thread! I thought about joining in, but didn't want to go too far off topic. Maybe the mods would be kind enough to split it off for us?

9. GGinrhinestones

And getting back on topic, lessons today were great...four solid, not overly-complicated closed smooth routines, and still time to practice rounds before Heritage. I know I have several years of rhythm dancing behind me to help, but smooth is coming along SO much easier than rhythm ever did. Still so far to go, but it's nice to feel like I'm where I belong on the artistic side of things.

debmc likes this.
  10. fascination

lol...LG IS a mod :)

11. latingal

LOL....a lazy one. Not going to start a new thread unless people really want to have a thread that gives them (and me) headaches...LOL!!

12. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Realized that we have two more lessons until Indiana Challenge. Combination "eep" and "whee!"

13. fascination

lol...I have 24 before then and I still feel that way :)

14. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Worked alot on CBM in smooth, keeping frame and connection, and traveling.
    In Latin, did all 5 dances to music, working on speed and lines with changes of direction.

15. GGinrhinestones

Missed lessons today...work got in the way. :( Oh, well, there is still tomorrow.

16. fascination

we seem to be doing a bit more dancing and less analyzing...I am not sure whether or not that is a good thing...I am going to hope it is a good thing...will say that I went in exhausted and unmotivated and the lessons lifted the fog...and that was nice

latingal and j_alexandra like this.
  17. cornutt

If it means that you're internalizing what you learned, then it's definitely a good thing.

18. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Great lesson on strength as a follower today. Working on being bigger a bit and catching rather than sending my energy to weird places lol.

19. fascination

yesterday started out poorly, he was in that"tell it to the hand" mood regarding my intl foxtrot....I had to put on the big girl panties and monitor my frustration level....that being said, I eventually pulled myself together,and accomplished what he was asking for, and was afforded a certain level of mercy thereafter, during smooth and latin

20. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Awesome 2 days of coaching...lots of helpful infomation with tango...new intro choreography in foxtrot...other helpful infomation with how motion is supposed to work with foxtrot and waltz...ideas with articulating the timing...it's a good thing I have strong legs because I'm going to need them to make it all work...coach also had other helpful suggestions to get me back on a path with dancing, and life, in general.

fascination likes this.