how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

there are many days when I marvel at my good fortune in being able to dance with such a talented man...sometimes he's fuzzy, sometimes he's firm, but he is always a gifted person with whom to dance ...
    Purr, chomsky and latingal like this.
  2. Wannabee

Wannabee Active Member

My lesson was absolutely fabulous today. It is so rare that these moments happen, I just have to share it when they do. I fell in love with dancing all over again after my lesson today.

Let me set the scene: Pro spent an entire lesson with me working on hitting a challenge line to oversway. It took an unbelievable amount of time for us to work meticulously through the intricacies of the shaping and moving properly from one to the other. But at the end of the lesson, I executed the most beautifully extended oversway. I honestly would have never believed I had that much extension and stretch and balance in me. It was just simply amazing. I don't know how else to describe it. We've done this step before, but pro kept pushing me and pushing me, asking me for more extension, more hips, more shaping until finally, like magic, I was in complete control of my body and balance, with this shape that could have been seen from across the street. Little moments like these, while rare, remind me of why I love doing this so much. There aren't words to describe the beauty I saw today in that one simple shaping. And to think that my pro dragged that out of me is just almost unbelievable. This is why we dance...
  3. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

It definitely makes all the work worthwhile to some of us doesn't it fasc? So glad to hear that you had one of those magical moments!! I say enjoy and savor it! :)
  4. latingal

Lessons today were great....the dancing's been feeling good. Credit goes to pro in guiding me through the minefield that is my learning process....LOL!

A bit of choreography work today and then it was just dancing....
  5. fascination

rumba...sometimes I just watch the man in amazement, he has so many nuanced ways of doing things, I wish I could dance like that...so, today he was obviously trying to see how I would fare if he just did whatever he wanted...I love that, even though I generally eventually drop the ball, I love having the chance to play...cha was mostly focused on keeping my feet on the floor...sometimes I forget that I am not at the gym...also worked samba technique and gold paso...yay, thank GOD no jive as I had the worse possible headache...moved on to silver and gold intl FT...someday I will learn how to not over think intl ru and ft..but they are the dances we focus on the most, so sometimes all that info really gets in the way....waltz...what can I say?...I love it...but I wish my left whisk didn't stink mud...it is mainly having to get into that position so quickly....then more tango, which I also love...am feeling as though I am making some progress on some trouble spots, beyond that, I just feel so fortunate to be able to do this
  6. latingal

New choreography for samba is a week old....run it at speed??? What the he**? Really?
  7. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

lol sounds like what my wife tells me ohh and practice more on your own
  8. fascination

lady, I was expected to run two walls of gold quickstep alone at speed the day it was shown...and he didn't even blink when he said it...and that was the end of that
    latingal likes this.
  9. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

I've been having this experience again and again this last month...unbelievable!!!!I'm so happy more dancers enjoy the same feeling!I'm so happy I'm having this feeling!!!!!!!!
    latingal likes this.
  10. Chr0n

Chr0n Member

I've had this feeling quite a lot lately. I'm just starting out with doing dancing more seriously (had my first competition just a few weeks ago :)) and I've been having lots of problems with finding and keeping the rhythm.

So I've had this when I finally realized how predictable dance music actually is. Or just the other day when I actually sat down and plotted the timing of my routines - it suddently all made so much more sense :).
    chomsky likes this.
  11. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

My lessons have been packed full of information!
    latingal likes this.
  12. latingal

Coaching was very good. Working on partnering skills and how the levels of activity and listening vary during lead/follow, and when to relax weight in to the floor while following. Works great in rumba, still trying to figure it out in the faster dances..... :eek:
    chomsky likes this.
  13. sunnydays

sunnydays New Member

Lessons have been very helpful. Going over technique in more detail. I feel like my dancing has been brought to a new level.
  14. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Gave NP a CD with twenty songs for possible showcases and told him he gets to narrow it down (I mean, not least because he has to choreograph and dance it with me.) Kind of happy that the likely winner is one of the six songs I pulled from the CDs I got of Frenchy and the Punk (they traded me their CDs for my jewelry when we had booths beside each other at TeslaCon--I think I got the better deal! I could have basically used all their stuff as options.) Called "Marionette", and it's more or less a Smooth VW. And it's nicely *weird.*
    pygmalion likes this.
  15. fascination

first lessons post comp ...and really wasn't feeling it, but since I am going to be out of town for a few weeks, I felt like I really needed to buck up and just do it...started out with ego in the toilet but was, quickly enough, challenged to the point of forgetting myself....and, next thing you know, learning occurred and some pleasure also followed it...as this juncture, a modest amount of pleasure was far more than was expected...so, off to bed soon and hoping for more of the same tomo
    latingal and j_alexandra like this.
  16. fascination

just to add detail...am beginning to have more more recurrent shin pain in both shins at beginning of lessons....had it in a debilitating way on standard day at the comp...so that is an issue...it always goes away eventually, but is an issue...

issues worked; some styling in RU and my backward walks needed a tweaking, also improved a segment of the gold routine
    also, worked some styling in cha and tended to my unfortunate back locks (ahem, not through the heels in cha)

FT and W; balance points and using them for power, corrections to left whisk
    QS...ahem.. re-familiarize self with footwork on second wall
  17. Debra

Debra Member

Had a brief intro to Mambo . . . I've not danced anything, but standard . . . Ever. Pro was happy, I asked if we could foxtrot instead. I'm looking forward to the physical challenge of learning a new dance and the internal growth doing a rhythm dance will bring.
    debmc likes this.
  18. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I get that if I run a lot, but I don't recall you saying that you run... have you been doing high-impact aerobics or something like that?
  19. fascination

I teach fitness...so yes, lots of that
  20. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Ah. I guess that would do it. I used to run cross country in high school, but when I got into college, I started having terrible problems with shin splints, to the point where I quit running. Over the years I'd try again occasionally, with the same results. They used to have a yearly event at the airport here called the Runway Run, which is exactly what it sounds like: a race where you run down to the far end of the runway and back. I entered it once. Big mistake. I made it down to the end of the runway before the concrete surface got to me. I had to walk back the whole way... 11,000 feet. :eek: