how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Went through trouble spots in the new routines today and then ran said routines. I don't normally get to run full routines during my lessons since we are normally focused on technique, but it made me realize that I need to change my mindset from running routines is a "special event" to be anxious about, to running routines should be a regular thing that I can relax in to.....tough to do when you don't get to do it much, but I'll have to find a way.....
  2. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Yes, that can be a problem. Before a comp, I always schedule at least one lesson with my instructor (or whoever I'm dancing with) where we run through routines nonstop, with a minimum of coaching.
  3. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Active Member

Yesterday's lesson was incredibly frustrating! I couldn't get to that place where I could let go of the analytical part of myself, and seemed to be dancing overtop of the music rather than through and with it. Add in a stressful couple of work days, not enough sleep the night before, new steps and choreography, and working in closed hold with proper posture for the first time (yay on that one!) and you get could-have-been-better :(

Oh well, I'll chalk it up to part of the learning process. It can't all be steady upward and forward progression right? On the bright side, I learned how many new things I can handle being thrown at me at once!
  4. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Lesson today was first post comp lesson. We looked at scoresheets and DVD, and focused on goals over the next two months before the next comp. Then we ran through the latin dances, covering and clarifying areas for improvement.
  5. cornutt

Welcome to DF, FancyFeet! I've had the experience, more than once, of walking into a lesson after work but not being able to leave work at the studio door. It happens. What you don't want to happen is for your lessons to start seeming to be as stressful an experience as your work is. If that starts happening, you need to tell your instructor to back off. Dancing should be something that helps you clear your mind and let go of the stresses of the day, not add to them.
    pygmalion likes this.
  6. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Been taking lessons with a new pro, and they've been great. The sheer quantity of information is astounding, I hope my notes are good enough that in the coming weeks I'll be able to actually integrate what I've been told.
  7. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Looking forward to this weekend with a lesson from a pro. It's been a year and I'm just super excited!
    pygmalion likes this.
  8. MissSongbird

MissSongbird Member

Two words: Cuban Motion
  9. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Showcase might be taking shape...though "We'll just start here and we'll figure out the opening later...."
  10. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Great lesson. Things are coming together nicely, now to see when it will make it to muscle memory and competition floor.
    latingal likes this.
  11. cornutt

Famous last words. :D
  12. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Mind blowing lesson about shaping. No one so far has been able to teach it well, or has just avoided the subject all together. I also have to figure out this listening to his upper body for my head leads... My feet have got it, my head not so much. Lol.
  13. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

My forays into smooth are proceeding nicely. I had an amusing moment in my lesson yesterday. My instructor (who dances smooth professionally and teaches at a studio that tends more towards the American styles) found herself explaining the mechanics of the foxtrot basic by relating it to a prep to feather. Immediately after making the comparison, she had to stop and comment on just how surreal it was to make it in that direction. I think it was a new experience for her. :D
  14. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

I had a coach tell me that the week prior to a comp you should do nothing but run rounds. The technique is what it is at that point. Very hard not to stop and 'fix' something, though.
  15. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I have discovered that lessons on my days off are much better than lessons after a full work day. With that information I am easier on myself after a full workday, I recognize that I may not dance as well that day, and that's ok.
    Mr 4 styles and latingal like this.
  16. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Infinitely grateful for pro. Head has been stuck in a negative feedback loop for the last week after a month of great practices. Couldn't get unstuck.

Lesson goal yesterday, dance and have fun while doing new routines at speed (ack!). Got unstuck for most of the lesson....and have a technique moratorium for a week. LOL!
  17. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Once you bring in a choreographer a showcase is a WHOLE new ballgame. Especially when he knows nothing about you and just goes with what the song's giving him.

(This is going to be WEIRD. I mean, good, probably, assuming I can do this, but holy crap.)
    twothreefourone likes this.
  18. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

just hoping I remember how to dance when i get back to lessons....feels like an eternity
    cornutt and latingal like this.
  19. cornutt

Sometimes a few days off helps clear your head. I've had times when I was struggling with something, but after a few days off, the answer became obvious.
  20. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

lol...head is pretty vacant...am more concerned that a wealth of paid for information has also left the building