how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. dncergrl

dncergrl Active Member

Hello, I am a newbie to the ballroom world, but a former advanced dancer in other genres. It is SO much fun to dance with my pro. I am taking privates to learn the steps and terminology because the beginner classes were too slow and I am also taking group technique classes with the more advanced dancers. Only latin. Fun Fun Fun.
    twothreefourone and pygmalion like this.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

3. twothreefourone

twothreefourone Active Member

Got a lesson coming up this week, haven't seen our coach since the last comp - we're going to work on, "finding a direction for our dancing, and how to create a clear message." Eep. I have a feeling my brain will soon be overloaded.
  4. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Lessons today were good, worked on rumba; staying grounded when mishaps occur, lead/follow, and precise timing. Haven't worked on the details in rumba for months, was good to get some things nailed down.

Very happy with the last run through in the lesson. I felt solid and even managed to dance it with conviction....which might have been a first (or a second :D ) for me.

Will be rumba-ing in my dreams tonight....LOL!
  5. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Lesson was information overload
  6. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Today's lesson was so much fun! I just got home and I'm still all amped up from it... and as I live alone, DF gets to hear about it :)

We worked on cleaning up my waltz routine, then for a few minutes started to work on v. waltz - new to me, but after my 15 minute taste, I think I'm going to like it. To wrap up, we ran the waltz routine in the full ballroom. To my (happy) surprise, we had to modify and take out a step or two as we ran out of room!!!:eek: It felt fantastic to put all the pieces together.

The downside: this was the end of my introductory private lesson package. I can absolutely continue, but the price goes up :( Tomorrow's project: run the budget to see how many I can manage a month, while still paying my mortgage and, you know, afford to eat!
  7. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Excellent coaching today.... lots of work on paso and jive!
    latingal likes this.
  8. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

I think I can now say after so many months that I have started my lessons again. So far, the way things were, nothing was certain. But now after half a year I am again back on track. It’s such a relief to be posting this at the best dance forum ever, the place where I know I can find friends that sympathesize!!!!!!!!!!
    latingal, cornutt and danceronice like this.
  9. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Had 2 great lessons in the past two weeks. One with a pro that gave us a direction on shaping and sway, another with our regular coach who gave us our entire open quickstep routine and the beginning part of our tango :D gah so excited. Now to work on them.
  10. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Oh, dear lord, NP may be over his head with this showcase almost as much as I am. Eek. No, we will get it, it will work, this is feasible. By Wisconsin? He has more confidence than I do...

He was running late, and R. sort of jokingly offered to warm me up. So I asked her to teach me to lead foxtrot and waltz instead (as we're chronically short on leaders for the mixer.) We did manage foxtrot, though I think I am in trouble with any follow who doesn't know what we're doing already. It's very hard to flip everything around 180 and move on the 'wrong' foot all the time.
  11. twothreefourone

twothreefourone Active Member

Think we need a coach/teacher appreciation thread...

We saw our coach today, and came away thinking we're so grateful to have such a wonderful person on our team. Doesn't laugh at our crazy ideas, but helps us refine them. Gives perceptive feedback and clear guidance, so we can present a clear picture and find our own voice in our dancing. Today we worked on partnering, helping each other move. Amazing how much quicker and more dynamic our dancing became! Just glad we have someone like that to help us on our journey.

Anyway, lesson learned: find a teacher/coach whose style suits you and stick with them, they're worth their weight in gold. All you teachers/coaches out there in DFland - thank you for the wonderful work you do helping out the rest of us :D
    debmc likes this.
  12. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Wow... we went out of town for a coaching and evaluation session with a world-class coach, Cher Rutherford. Amazing. She watched us dance waltz for a minute and then asked me if I was lefthanded. I was born lefthanded but switched in elementary school -- not that many people know since I write right-handed, although I've started doing some other things left-handed the past ten years or so. She then gave me a talk about how being left-side-strong will mess you up in smooth and how it causes things to not feel the way they are supposed to feel. She told me that I needed to work on strengthening my right side, and on being able to switch the side that I lead through depending on the position and figure. Now, I've heard about leading with a particular side before (e.g., in tango), but never had it explained to me the way she did. And she gave me some exercises to do. Just from thinking about it while dancing, I can already tell the difference.
    pygmalion likes this.
  13. fascination

rut roh...I hope that is specific to the lead only
  14. fascination

if you do some digging, we do have that thread
  15. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

four hours of smooth coaching/practice with my pro coming up today cant wait
  16. fascination

lessons tomorrow after two weeks off...looking forward to it
  17. cornutt

Yes, she was addressing me as a lead. What's the concern?
  18. fascination

well, as a lefty, all I need is to hear of some new way in which I am uniquely suited to stink at dancing
    chomsky and cornutt like this.
  19. cornutt

:D I hear ya sister. Remember a few months ago when I posted that "I don't trust feel" thread? Now it makes sense. My regular instructor, by her own admission, is a "feel" learner, and I've had to work with her over the years as she learned how to teach me. One of my big problems in mastering anything new in dance, whether it be a point of technique or a new step, is that I don't intuitively understand what it is supposed to feel like when it is danced properly, which is why I have to learn it mechanically so that when I practice it, I can assure myself that I'm not learning improperly. It also explains why I hate back-leading as a teaching technique, but if we reverse roles and my instructor leads me properly, it usually makes sense.
    chomsky likes this.
  20. fascination

I am pretty intuitive...that being said, I still don't need to discover some new way in which I am programmed for difficulty
    Mr 4 styles and cornutt like this.