how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

rumba, not relaxed,not sensual, not good, technically not shabby, but not good

cha and paso; acceptable...some stuff to tweak

waltz; gold standard involved work on left whisk, feel grateful that there wasn't a great deal else that seemed to dismay him...and really enjoying the increased incidences of more interpretation to the timing and impromptu unscripted work...FTgold intl, apparently non-offensive...moved on to open smooth waltz and FT...finally made some connections about smooth connection that I never before grasped and, if I may say so, I think it is making a sizable improvement all around...switched to tango in intl and smooth and enjoyed more the the same spontaneity in intl and some in smooth plus the new sort of connection concept...in smooth vw as well...struggled at the end with some info on my head during pivots, but it was late and I think I will get it tomo...generally reasonably encouraged
  2. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Zillions of things in smooth... apparently I need to really work on stretching and loosening my right shoulder. I'm really fighting muscle memory to not lift that shoulder when going into promenade or doing a pivot. Bring the hips with the foot. (And, for that matter, bring the foot...) Head left. Soften third step. We both need to keep the pelvis closed to each other more consistently. I noticed at some point that we aren't together on rise and fall, but we ran out of time before I got to ask about it.
  3. fascination

it's an endless elusive seductive frustrating exciting plodding leaping mysterious process
  4. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

That sums it up!
  5. fascination

lessons today...more of him actually going off script in standard....which I love, b/c I feel like it allows me to see if I can actually do the real thing, even if only for a bit...running with the big dogs a smidge...enjoying this...also seeing some softening in my dancing *(and the angels come down and sing gloria)*...we also juggled some things around to lead with what I do well and dropped some stuff that I happen to stink at ....annoying and galling as that is, I have to deal with realities...in latin today, there are some small signs of hope in the spiral department, not much else to crow about
  6. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Lessons have been frustrating the past couple of weeks. And for different reasons. One day it's like I completely forgot how to execute swing in the swing and sway dances. The next day I feel like a new born giraffe trying to keep my balance. One day I actually fell down. Granted I stepped on pro's foot doing this lunge type move in a showcase routine, and rather than put my full weight into my foot I tried to maneuver so that I wouldn't hurt him. In the process, my momentum carried me too far over my foot and I bit it. Landed on my knees so it could have been worse. But I had never fallen before so it was new and embarrassing.

I just wish I could get to a point where I feel like I'm making steady progress instead of one step forward and two steps back. Oh well. I'm going back for more tomorrow.
    latingal likes this.
  7. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

It happens Wannabee, more than we would like.

As for biting it....actually I have a nice up close and personal relationship between my backside and the floor. To date, I've I've ended up on the floor with all my partners except for my old smooth pro and my current latin pro, who has maintained his perfect record in a spectacular fashion by making some great saves....LOL!

So no need for embarrassment, it happens to the best of us....
    debmc likes this.
  8. fascination

exactly///I fell on my arse just last week...dynamic movement has a correlation to dynamic errors :)
    Wannabee, stash and latingal like this.
  9. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I agree! 'Going for it' can sometimes lead to accidents...but better to go for it, than play it safe....especially in practice and lessons. I've seen top ProAm students fall.....and win their heat....it's all in how you recover...
    latingal likes this.
  10. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I go through periods like that as well, and it is frustrating, but every sports psychology book and my own experience demonstrates that those periods do pass...
    Wannabee likes this.
  11. fascination

I have fallen and won a heat at usdc
    debmc, Mr 4 styles and latingal like this.
  12. fascination

and I mean full body atop my poor squished pro, and impaling myself on my own bracelet, drawing blood
    Mr 4 styles and debmc like this.
  13. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Owwie..... :(
  14. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Active Member

Lessons have been going decently... technique is improving, etc., but things still have a tendancy to drift in and out of good. As in, for a few steps or a wall things are awesome - flow, and are powerful, etc. - then it feels rough all of a sudden. It doesn't happen at the same spots consistently, at least not once we've fixed them, but staying in that awesome place is tough!

I've been thinking about this since yesterday's lesson (seriously, was awake, staring at my ceiling far too late last night and kind of dragged at work today) and I think the problem doesn't relate to anything technical. It's me. I realize that I start to relax and enjoy and trust, and then it's like my brain has this moment where it goes 'whoa, what are you doing? Do you realize that you have no idea where you're going and what's happening around you? And wasn't there a person/wall over here a minute ago?' and I break frame, or turn my head when I'm not supposed to, or stiffen up.

So, in summary, apparently I have trust issues that are impacting my dancing. Which I'm sure pro suspects since I occasionally get the 'close your eyes' instruction. Now I just need to figure out how to get past this! My logical side knows that the man is not going to run me into a wall or a person, but I'm having trouble convincing the rest of me. Le sigh....
  15. fascination

interesting...I trust my pro implicitly about that....not about all things....but implicitly about that...it is his delight to run me as close to someone else or a potted plant or whatever, and I know he is the master of that show...my larger issue is in trusting myself to trust what I feel and to stay there...technical thinking is a great thing...an imperative thhing...it is good to know how to do things on your own, to know what the theory is, and then there is a point where you have read the book and then you need to throw it away
  16. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

DW trusts me on all matters of floorcraft. Sometimes a bit too much... I occasionally have to remind her that I can't see where I'm going when I'm going backwards. :D
    twothreefourone and latingal like this.
  17. fascination

I hear you C, yet somehow I doubt that he would be as appreciative of my assistance :)...I will say that I am more active with others on that front
  18. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Active Member

I want to trust him... seems I just can't 100% get there. He is however, new to me (just under 2 months), so hopefully that will come!
    chomsky likes this.
  19. fascination

I am betting that it will...I really struggled with that for a very long time, for a variety of reasons...until I had a coaching on it...and the coach helped me to distinguish what kinds of trust I had to have and what kinds I didn't have to have...it helped my dancing ...greatly
  20. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

News. No more lessons, for the time being. Practices, I guess yes, but for a month will have no private lessons cos I'm in pain and broke too...