how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear that. Do you have an injury?
  2. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

a permanent one...a badly herniated disk. I thought dance had cured it until, only recently when I had two accidents that injured my back. Stuff happens, that's life. Thanks for always showing your interest cornutt and for being such a sensitive guy!!!
  3. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Long breaks are not good when you both have to remember a showcase. (School vacation falls when it falls.)
  4. cornutt

Wow. Sorry to hear that. My dad has had back problems all of his adult life.
    chomsky likes this.
  5. cornutt

Evidently, after N years, I'm finally beginning to actually understand the purpose of body swing in smooth. :rolleyes:
    chomsky likes this.
  6. chomsky

I am finally beginning to actually understand what the standing leg means...
    Mr 4 styles, latingal and cornutt like this.
  7. cornutt

:D It seems like that would be obvious, but I know what you mean... when you actually go to do it...
    chomsky likes this.
  8. chomsky

It's taken me two years to get to use it instead of trying to!!! But it never matters how long it takes us, only that we get there sometime!
  9. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

lessons are going well...I think...then again, what do I know ?
    Mr 4 styles, latingal and danceronice like this.
  10. danceronice

Another lesson (makeup from last week and anticipation of being closed Friday = two lessons!) The showcase...it goes. We'll figure it out. As my work schedule may mean I'm doing Rhythm again instead of Smooth at Wisconsin we ran through cha and rumba--refining some style choices. This is a good thing....
  11. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Active Member

Things are feeling good! Comp is in three weeks, plenty of time left for fine-tuning. :)
    chomsky likes this.
  12. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Excellent, excellent coaching from visiting coach in smooth! Love it when a coach I have never worked with before can offer up so many useful changes to my dancing that I can see, understand and implement in a 45 minute session!
    latingal and SwayWithMe like this.
  13. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

I just had coaching today, after I worked out and Yoga session. NEVER EVER will I do that again.
    Came home and literally collapsed onto sofa...blessed for such an amazing demanding coach whose technique
    and ability to get this "old" body...into some sort of position called a "shape"...is a miracle.
    Now....for a really hot bath.:)
  14. fascination

had lessons today because I missed tuesday lol...apparently there is a showcase on the 4th of May, so we thought we might talk about what dance we might do...so we danced some dances to some songs...yep...we should probably decide pretty soon :)...aside from that however, the dancing is seeming, dare I say it? better connected, softer...enjoyable...shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    latingal likes this.
  15. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Started doing rounds in latin and smooth today, and it went well. Seeing the results of my practice time, but now I need to focus on some areas that need improvement.
    latingal likes this.
  16. fascination

more lessons that were mostly really inspiring
  17. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Run throughs of some of the routines and further discussion on using weight and gravity instead of muscle!
  18. danceronice

Well, can't do Wisconsin at all (am putting my foot down regarding the day of the studio showcase) but now NP wants to do Smooth and "I'm half serious, maybe Standard!" for Starlite's multi-dance events. I introduced him to my new cheer ("That's all right, that's okay, I hate Standard anyway!") and we worked more on the showcase. Maybe we do these better when we throw them together at the last instant. We have less time to forget. Does not help his computer is holding the video from the choreographer hostage.
  19. fascination

wonderful lessons...thank you Mr. Ilo
    debmc and Purr like this.
  20. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Active Member

Had a great lesson today, though it felt a bit odd having one on a Saturday afternoon (usually they're through the week).

Worked on a quickstep routine - new dance for me, so new patterns, new tempo, etc... but pleasantly surprised to find the work we've been putting in on the other dances is translating across. Still a zillion things to work on, of course, but for a first attempt it wasn't half bad if I do say so myself!
    fascination likes this.