how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

2. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Pro is out of town but had coaching with my local latin female pro... could it be that I may be slowly getting some sort of understanding about what I need to do to improve my jive? Maybe so!

latingal likes this.
  3. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

I had a "bottom of the barrel" lesson with Pro. Really. Still getting medications out of my blood from massive allergies for the last 10 days. Lightheaded, dizzy, forgetful and couldn't stretch worth a hoot. Did FT during W. Did W during VWaltz...really? with Emerald not that far away. Water, lots of water. Pls, silent prayer, no more allergies, no more meds, let the brain, feet and stretch come back together for the next lesson.

4. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Next lesson will be better 3 wishes! It seems that whenever there is an 'off' lesson, the next one is always great.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  5. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

did 4 sessions with smooth pro yesterday

one on technical aspects of the dances

the next twohrs and 15 were rounds!! we did god knows how many at least 5 an hr

oh yeah the we taught the usa dance salsa class and danced another two hrs at the social

guess what my feet hurt@!!!

3wishes likes this.
  6. fascination

8 years, five with current pro...and more dollars than I am proud to mention....and finally some partnering and musicality and listening, and that which really makes it dancing...so grateful

debmc and latingal like this.
  7. fascination

also...why, when he is nowhere to be seen can I do most things...and, when he is in sight, NOTHING?...annoying

latingal likes this.
  8. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Wow, dancing today felt great in the lesson. Doing some detailed work in rumba and then run throughs of the dances. Had one of those lessons that everything you've been working on comes together, and you can't believe that it's happening!!

Rumba felt amazing; fluid body action, easy speed and felt effortless getting to where I needed to be.....dare I say it, it felt relaxed and easy!! Let's hope I'm not jinxing myself!

samina, debmc and fascination like this.
  9. fascination

rumba and swing where underwhelming today..okay, well maybe all rhythm and latin left something to be desired...but smooth and standard, even if it was equally sucky, was yummy to experience regardless...it feels like I am improving...I can name things that seem improved...but, if I am wrong, just leave me alone

latingal likes this.
  10. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I'm having the opposite problem! During solo practice, something will trip me up fairly regularly, so I mention it at lesson hoping we can figure out what it is so I can fix it, then we try whatever it is - usually 3 or 4 times - and... nothing. It works fine in front of/with pro. Grr.

11. fascination

lessons were wonderful

12. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Well-Known Member

Things felt like they were really coming together today!

13. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Double Lesson, where Pro is breaking down every tiny item. SCREAM. yes, scream in my head.
    Finally voice it - "if I haven't corrected that in 5 years of you telling me, every time!, you actually believe I will correct it".
    Introduced to very very tall young man, Pro says "let's do round s - right out of the gate"
    "oh by the way....you won't mind if he watches and gives input do you?" then he adds "he prepares alot of people for Blackpool"
    oh sure.....why not just kill me now, no strength, no stamina, and let's dance rounds right out of the gate, no pressure....right? arrgggh let me crawl into hole now.

14. latingal

Coaching with coach who decided upon the same subject (with no outside input) as my last coaching with another coach. Guess the subject is definitely something that it is time to address.

Was good to have both coachings; one coach approached the subject from a detailed technical approach, yesterday's coach approached it from a holistic, feeling approach. I definitely have the information I need to make major strides in the area....next up, focus and discipline to make these changes that are out of my comfort zone!

debmc likes this.
  15. fascination

just wondering...is change EVER in our comfort zone ?

16. latingal

LOL...I guess it's a matter of degree.

17. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Pro's shoulder was hurting yesterday, so we had to modify our lessons. No closed hold. We did quickstep in this sort of modified closed hold and oddly, it was good at pointing out places where I'm continuing to over-rotate. Pro had been compensating for me :eek:. I knew there were a few areas where he did that, but I didn't realize how many or how much over-rotation I was doing. So I guess it was a good thing.

18. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

say it aint so!!!!

imma thinkin they all have to do that sometimes:cool:

19. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Mine calls it "helping" :rolleyes:

I told him to please stop, at least during lessons, and to just call me on whatever I'm doing... otherwise, I'm just going to keep doing it!

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  20. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Yes, they all do it. And like I said, I knew he was doing it. It was the degree to which he was doing it that gave me pause :)

Mr 4 styles likes this.