how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

latin...more trials and tribulations regarding double spirals, but at least I can even attempt them now....not horrible either..on to cha locks and samba voltas....also had some fun learning how to mix it up a bit...he really can be fun when he sets his mind to it ....:)

waltz was; lovely...FT was hit and miss....still happy girl...good space right now....
  2. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

My lesson yesterday, "as the pendulum swings".....back the other direction I go!
  3. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

NP was laughing at me. I knew about three seconds in he was leading Standard Waltz ("I just passed my foot...felt like I was supposed to...we should have reached twinkles by now...oh, crap") and I just gritted my teeth and did it. "Are you feeling all right?" "The less I argue the sooner we'll be done." The showcase, meanwhile, is starting to coalesce. We've cut the music, so we can work on refining the timing, and we have something resembling an ending now (I need to remember to hit the floor without using my hands....we'll get it.)
    fascination likes this.
  4. fascination

best.lesson.ever....over the moon
  5. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

We have started getting serious about my learning quickstep. We have dabbled here and there in the past, but now it is a focused effort. Scattered chasses are uhm.... interesting. I must say I am looking forward to learning this dance.
    latingal likes this.
  6. fascination

I have still never done a scatter chasse or a samba roll....there is something wrong with that :)
  7. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Totally slower than slow motion work, very interesting since I haven't done that type of work for a year or so. Body seems to know pretty much what it's doing, but found some weaknesses in one section of opposition. Also gained a greater understanding of when to use weight, and why I use a "holding" tension in the muscle at times rather than a stretching/moving one.
  8. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Just be wary of the step hops that go with scatters... They can end in painful results... If you get what I mean :p
  9. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

so easy to do.....................poorly so hard to do well oh and lotsa fun on your lower back NOT

but i luv em
  10. Mr 4 styles

J
    almost got platar fasciitis from those bad boys
  11. Wannabee

Humm... Plantar fasciitis or racking my pro. The quickstep is sounding more and more hazardous to my health ;)

I'll do my best to take care. But I'm still excited lol
  12. Mr 4 styles

this has a different meaning in England jusssstt ssayyyiiinnn

QS is worth the pain IMO
  13. Wannabee

Ha Ha!! I don't even want to know...

So far I agree that the pain is worth it. Pro might disagree. I hope I never have to find out.
  14. Mr 4 styles

but i think you doooooooooooooo know;)
  15. Wannabee

I think I get your drift. And if so, I've done this to my instructor already, when trying to learn the runaround in waltz. It solved my over-rotating problem fairly quickly. Something about one part of my body coming to a stop on his forearm every time makes a girl focus hard on trying to correct the problem....
  16. Jared21

Jared21 New Member

my first "lesson" in about 10 years tommorow ;)
  17. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Not too sure what I feel about last night's lesson... last week's was amazing, things were working, had a blast and I was on a bouncy high all week, waiting for lesson time to come around again... then spring arrived, and with it, yesterday, allergies. An antihistamine after work meant that the throat and eye itchiness had mostly stopped by lesson time, the sinus discomfort still hadn't completely abated.

All that meant that I was feeling a little off before we even started, and pro's hurt his right wrist so is working a slightly modified hold and I'm feeling less secure than normal. I have to say that a couple of months ago this would have meant a disaster lesson, but it was actually not completely terrible - to my complete surprise.

We were working on waltz again, but this time on expressing the movement, and head position, and flexibility and more shaping through the back (little sore today!). I, unfortunately, kept drifting in and out of balance - some steps smooth and powerful, some off. I even got the dreaded 'dance it by yourself (so I can watch)'... Totally frustrating for both me and pro, because we know I can do it better! Sigh. I'm chalking this one up to not feeling 100% and blaming the balance issues on the meds :)

In sum: some good, some bad - but happy that I seem to finding a way to reliably work out of the bad as opposed to getting stuck in it!
  18. fascination

I think sometimes the best thing to do is to state form the outset: I am in bad shape and you are going to be underwhelmed....(course, I try this every week and he isn't hearing it)
  19. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I did... but I get much the same result as you. Good to know that it seems to be fairly universal :)

He did, however, elect to not work on VW for part of the lesson as we had planned... probably because he was afraid I'd lose my balance and take us both out. I know I was!

I'm sure next week will be better as I'll have adjusted to the antihistamines by then. The first couple of days are the only ones where I seem to feel any side effects.
  20. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Had a great lesson yesterday. Showed coach moves that were bothering us, learned that we were doing one move completely wrong lol. And then worked on shaping a bit. Shapes are now more stable :) I don't feel like I'm a weeble wobble when doing them anymore, especially the throwaway!

Also worked a bit on making syncopated timing work better, mostly in our running weave, and tumble turn. Things are looking good :)
    latingal likes this.