how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

was marginal, but lessons were lovely

2. fascination

to be specific, more work on spirals and on locks, and hen a good deal of work on lead and follow, balance and fluidity as well as head use...oh and pro's wife complimented my showcase performance, said she could see my soul...the foot police could see my soul...high praise ...color me happy...and she noted that perhaps I am less nervous at showcase than at comps :)...ya think?

3. Vero

Vero New Member

Wow - this is a big thread!

Thought I'd give it a try though.

Lessons are going well - my fans/spirals have gotten some praise from my instructor. Eventually I will figure those nasty alemanas out... for something so simply, I make them look/feel so complicated!

Wish I could practice outside of a hotel room/pool/hallway. Life on the road for a ballroom dancer is tricky!

j_alexandra likes this.
  4. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

How come when I do Rhythm, I have to remember to show a bent knee, and when I do Latin, I have to remember to show a straight one?

Showcase is really starting to meld. This is going to be fun.

5. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Well-Known Member

First lesson after comp today, feel like I'm catapulting forwards after almost a week of nothing but dance. :)

Gorme and 3wishes like this.
  6. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Aborted... Instructor has been battling some kind of stomach flu. First half went fine, but then she started to get dizzy and had to sit down. It suited me anyway... my WCS is being rebuilt from the ground up, and I can only absorb so much at a time because I'm fighting so much muscle memory.

7. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

really incredible stuff going on; spins are more 'spiny'; body action is more, well, more; WAY more solid on my feet; having lots of fun letting the beast out of the cage, as my pro says.

latingal likes this.
  8. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Lessons have been less than ideal here lately. Pro injured his shoulder and has not been 100% in a couple of weeks. We have had to modify our lessons as he can't get into frame right now. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty for me to work on without being in frame, and the first lesson or two like that I barely noticed. But yesterday he had to cancel my second hour due to his pain. The first part of my lesson we always do rhythm, the second 1/2 smooth or standard. He said there was no way he could do smooth or standard that day, and he cancelled his lessons that he had scheduled after mine.

I'm due in again today. I hope he is feeling better, for many reasons.

9. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

so much to do, so little time to do it in.... *sigh*

SwayWithMe and stash like this.
  10. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Lesson was good despite my shoe breaking in the middle. Good thing I had my ballet slippers in my bag so I didn't have to dance in socks. Working on waiting for the guys lead and not rushing it once I get it, and finally- FINALLY- someone has explained the chasse from promenade in a way that makes sense. I've been struggling this figure for years now and never felt really satisfied with it. It'll take some work to untrain the bad habits, but it's definitely looking up. Have really been able to integrate the things I've learned in ballet lately as well which has been feeling amazing.

11. fascination

lessons 9-12 of this week...may be fatigue...may be that I finally have some comps on the horizon.... but my dancing was marginal...thankfully he was fairly tolerant

12. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Pro is starting open patterns for me in smooth. YES! very excited. Haven't danced since the comp, excitment grows day by day!

Purr, Gorme and SwayWithMe like this.
  13. stanthemanc

stanthemanc New Member

fingers-middle back-toes-fingers-middle back-toes... feel... relax... breathe... enjoy... expand... repeat til death or the rapture

Please explain "fingers-middle back-toes-fingers-middle back toes..." to a newbie. Thanks​

14. latingal

got my a** kicked but good this last week.....LOL! After initial disappointment, decided I really did need to kick it up a couple notches and got to it!

15. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Awesome coaching yesterday with favorite coach's partner...best way to describe it is go as big as you can...coach seems to think I'm capable of a lot bigger movement and volume than I'm currently doing...coaching gave me lots to think about...

16. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Really interesting lesson.

I drive an hour to the studio I take lessons at. Well Pro found a small floor to practice with his partner who lives in the same town I do. So after his practice session we did a lesson, 10 minutes from my house... I have always done a commute and never thought much about it. I was amazed how different it was taking a lesson without the hour drive... I was so alert and ready and also found my retention after the lesson had improved.

Also being on the smaller floor was a benefit. I REALLY had to follow because I had no idea what was coming next. Was a good learning experience for me to realize how much I had in muscle memory what was coming next... Well LOL, the studio we normally dance at has a floor that is competition size so the floor was not that small, only small in relationship to our usual lessons.

Was great on so many levels!!

3wishes likes this.
  17. fascination

apparently the thought of competing has ruined my capacity to dance...and no one has faith sufficient to believe that I can overcome it...so...okay...two months of bliss followed by....apparently, nothing

18. latingal

I can empathize, most the time I feel like 50% of my practice skill level shows up on the lesson and comp floor - truly disappointing. :(

....and I have faith in you fasc! You can and will overcome it! (does it help to know that I'm in the same boat?)

19. fascination

well thanks....that is very kind ....it would help except that I think it is something I have to believe and he has to believe...and I think that right now we are at 0 and 2....but, you have a long history of success and you will be great

20. latingal

Thank you fasc....and I know how important it is for your pro to believe that you can do it; it helps the student believe they can do it too.

Even with a history of success, I still struggle with belief in my own skills....it's a struggle I wage even today as I go in to my lessons this afternoon, and this year I am bound and determine to beat it.

I still believe you can beat it......