how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Oh, no worries. Grousing aside, the only *real* concern is the potential for studio drama (there're more factors at play than I'm going into, this not being the place for it). But realistically speaking, if I only work with her for six months and never actually compete with her, it'll still be worth doing. And it's not as if she won't have far surpassed me as a ballroom dancer by that time anyways. :)
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

first lessons in a few weeks...felt good to be back...physically, I am still feeling pretty beaten up over the past few weeks at my job...and I forgot to eat (didn't have time)...so I wasn't at my best, but it was good to be back and particularly to be working on connection and musicality...which is really the whole ball of yarn as far as I'm concerned :)
  3. fascination

lessons today...more with double spirals...not because I will every use them, but because it will make the singles better.....also musicality...worked; ru, cha, jive, swing and mambo...will have t buy more shirts, I sweat so much...

part two was on to waltz...lol..song "you're my best girl and everything you do is right " came on ....irony escaped no one...moved on to tango then FT...i was pretty much on fumes after waltz....but he was merciful...more tomorrow...blesses self
  4. fascination

steadily rolling along
    Vero and latingal like this.
  5. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

two things
    first I'm having lessons again, which I couldn't before so there's progress there
    second I'm enjoying them every bit of the way
    latingal and fascination like this.
  6. Vero

Vero New Member

Practice went well. FIRST OPEN CHA CHA LESSON. Enough to get me motivated to post (too boost my confidence anyways... to try)! It was both terrifying and exciting. We have some "tricks" if you will in our routine (routine is serving double duty as production/routine for future comps) and oh man! I have to "wiggle" my way up once or twice and "body roll" once. My body was verrrrry awkwaaarddddd.

On the bright side. I have the most positive and motivational instructor out there! he had so much energy during our lesson - it was very easy to match his attitude! Additionally, I noticed how better my "dance memory" has gotten since I started barely 6 months ago (though it feels like forever). While I didn't know all of the patterns/tricks, I was able to at least remember most of the new choreo. yay!

also. repost, because I'm silly and posted this in the "how are your PRACTICES" going. Clearly I'm too excited :p
  7. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Lessons lately, mostly on am. smooth...lots of volume and movement...seem to run out of room on the floor quickly...managed to complete double pivots in foxtrot to pro's liking...making subtle adjustments to posture to improve topline...a small adjustment causes a big difference...all good. :)
    fascination likes this.
  8. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Active Member

Awesome. (Pros are back from England.) Lesson this past week should have been a torture session given it was an hour of painfully (as in 1/4 to 1/2 time) slow waltz, but as a result I'm much more aware of where my weight needs to change. Thank goodness it was only an hour though, as two might have killed me. I was shaking by the end! I love these types of lessons, they make me feel like I've made a gigantic progress leap on technique.

Also, for those of you who remember, I've been struggling with my balance drifting in and out for seemingly no reason - but I think we finally figured out what was happening... My upper body just needed to be adjusted about 2% further forward. Almost visually imperceptible, but it does make a difference! Pro apparently asked his coach for suggestions on what to try, and we went through several 'try this' efforts on the weekend. Now I just have to learn the adjusted body position as my new normal... since I currently drift in and out of it as we dance. Lots of work ahead, but happy to have (hopefully) found a solution!
  9. fascination

lessons went reasonably well...I will take it....have to say that I am enjoying latin and standard an alarming amount...how does that happen?...somehow the 10 dancer manages to convert the pupil....still loving smooth...but it isn't standing alone anymore...funny how that snuck up on me
    latingal likes this.
  10. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Last lessons with am partner and pro were awesome! Finally feeling some amount of freedom in my dancing. Incorporating momentum and body weight; controlling the balance in every step is no longer the goal nor in fact desired - which is highly amusing to me now that I've spent so many years developing it and honing it. Going out on the edge and hanging out there to generate speed and elasticity in the dancing.

Dancing with both partners has taken a big leap and I'm enjoying the heck out of it while I can!! LOL!
    debmc and fascination like this.
  11. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Theme in latin continues: I need to be solid on my own feet, grounded, balanced. In smooth Viennese waltz has become so much fun.... And before I learnt it, it seemed very intimidating. Doing reverse and natural turns around the floor with pro reminded me once again of how amazing it is to dance connected to a strong pro. That is the beauty of ProAm!
    latingal and fascination like this.
  12. fascination

my lessons today were a combination of comp prep without comp stress...he was merciful in not noting the many issues he could have nagged me about..but I am okay with that at this juncture...there is a time for that...called most of the time...but right before a comp I am enough of a critic...so we reviewed all dances but we also worked many dances to music that had nothing to do with that dance and also to dances with varying tempo...and with work on lead and follow...which I love
    debmc and latingal like this.
  13. fascination

last lessons before comp...lessons 8-12 for the week...I was calm, he was patient...no one got hurt, new shoes are broken in...and there was a reasonable amount of pleasure
    latingal, debmc and FancyFeet like this.
  14. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Just got a new section of our waltz, with a (really freaking difficult) section in closed hold that is going to be AWESOME (once we get the footwork and dynamics down and practice the living bejeezus out of it). Plus a lot of really cool open work with telespins and duck turns. Super jazzed.
  15. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

In the dark. No, literally, the power was out. We were sort of using R.'s phone for music. At least hte windows are big enough we had plenty of light, but it was different!
  16. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Got some more open standard tango routine, woot woot. Both fun and terrifying/confusing when my coach is playing around and leading me into who knows what. Apparently I make funny faces when this happens. And it's awesome when he makes a happy exclamatory noise while watching my partner and I dance something (though I have yet to learn how to distinguish happy noises and that-was-no-good noises).

I need to remember to wait and settle before taking off.
  17. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Active Member

I got to provide input into my QS choreo!

There's this one part in the routine that just wasn't feeling right. I can do it and it looks okay, but at Wednesday's lesson, I pointed out that I felt like we (pro and I) were losing the flow in that spot. I asked if there's something I should be doing there to make it better, and in response got 'yeah, you're right. I don't like how it feels either. Let's change it. What would you like to do instead?'

Gah, total shock - since when did I graduate to knowing enough to help build the routines? (P.S.: I totally don't.)

Also learned a new wall (well, 3/4 of one) in waltz, with some more so-not-bronze steps... beginning to suspect that the competition I've decided to work toward as my debut (in the fall) will not be done at debut levels... or we'll really have to tinker with the routine in the run-up...
  18. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Middle of lesson yesterday...pro asks what do you want to work on now...I reply I don't know...he says, ok, it's v. waltz...really??!! I have no opinion and you bring out the v. waltz...talked about dynamics of basics, right and left turn...also talked about holding my topline...mostly this have been a self-realization...it's not that I haven't received correct information, it's more me figuring out how to apply it...practice went ok...pro seemed happy with it...this dance motors a lot..anyway, it's all good...never thought I would say this in a million years, but this dance is kind of growing on me...lots of potential here
    cornutt likes this.
  19. latingal

Rounds today. Was happy to be controlling my energy better and more efficiently, but having to focus on that of course takes me out of the dancing a bit. Noticed that my dancing needs to remain more compact, as I tire energy gets thrown about a bit too widely and my vertical axis takes a flying leap.
  20. latingal

A learning by doing lesson, not much talk but a whole lot of opportunity to learn to focus energy much more efficiently when approaching exhaustion. Managed to do it quite nicely for a bit, hope my subconscious mind was paying attention....it was quite a lesson. Very happy with the work yesterday!
    debmc likes this.